Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JX-08

The polyphony on these new units is pretty good, I believe⦠possibly 128? The sequencer is limited to 4 note Poly I think. But to get higher poly on this hardware the synth modeling (JX) is AMB rather than ACB or Zenology. The JD is PCM anyway, so not the same scenario.

20-voice polyphony. Where do you get the info that it is not ACB? The ABM modeling on the Jupiter-X goes much higher than 20-voice. I sure hope this still is ACB.

I'll wait this one out and see if they put out a JX-10 down the line. I'd be all over that.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took delivery of a JX-08 on Dec 24th. It is a fantastic little box. Responds to aftertouch from Numa Compact 2, though only LFO amount, Filter Cut-Off amount, and Patch Volume amount, just like my JX-10. It is two part muti-timbral so in dual or split mode it is essentially a JX10, though you have to select the patch numbers individually for part A and part B. It would be so nice to for a firmware update that might allow combo patch memory, perhaps with a long-press of the Dual button or perhaps by pressing both A and B Part buttons at the same time. Really hoping this is possible down the line.

Have done some side-by-side testing, and am very pleased how close the JX-08 sounds like my JX-10. I"ve got over 30 years of programming to catch up on, but the onboard sliders, knobs, and switches are just perfect to help dial in those sounds.

No dice having the JX-08 function like a PG800 for my Vecoven-chipped JX10. That"s okay; still got an iPad app to do that.

I keep looking at U-Toob vids and online specs of other synths that were on my list, but am very pleased with my choice. It is the simple programming of a format that I"m already very familiar with and the gorgeous sounds that certainly pull all the right nostalgia strings. Super anxious to spring this thing on the band mates at next rehearsal.

I took delivery of a JX-08 on Dec 24th. It is a fantastic little box. Responds to aftertouch from Numa Compact 2, though only LFO amount, Filter Cut-Off amount, and Patch Volume amount, just like my JX-10. It is two part muti-timbral so in dual or split mode it is essentially a JX10, though you have to select the patch numbers individually for part A and part B. It would be so nice to for a firmware update that might allow combo patch memory, perhaps with a long-press of the Dual button or perhaps by pressing both A and B Part buttons at the same time. Really hoping this is possible down the line.

Have done some side-by-side testing, and am very pleased how close the JX-08 sounds like my JX-10. I"ve got over 30 years of programming to catch up on, but the onboard sliders, knobs, and switches are just perfect to help dial in those sounds.

No dice having the JX-08 function like a PG800 for my Vecoven-chipped JX10. That"s okay; still got an iPad app to do that.

I keep looking at U-Toob vids and online specs of other synths that were on my list, but am very pleased with my choice. It is the simple programming of a format that I"m already very familiar with and the gorgeous sounds that certainly pull all the right nostalgia strings. Super anxious to spring this thing on the band mates at next rehearsal.

Nice! As my first real keyboard WAY back was a JX-10. I can't say I did tons of in-depth programming, though I did own the pg-800, I tended to use a few bread-and-butter patches with some tweaks. "Poly synth" (C5 iirc), the high strings, pads and one of the lead sounds (patch E5 if I'm not mistaken!), those were mostly what I used. I can't help but wonder if my MODX could get those sounds though. I haven't been thrilled with the poly patches I've made so far on it, but that's likely user error.

Yeah, MODX stock sounds are a little light on thick analog-style pads. The programming is very deep and not always logical to my way of thinking; typical of my Yamaha experience. However I found a third-party library Analog Xperience from EasySounds that expands the selection of patches beautifully. Wonderful programming that utilizes the Super Knob and other assignable controllers nicely on nearly every patch. Lots of grooves and sequences that are a blast to jam out on, too.

The JX-08 nails the Poly Synth and Strings and Pads of the originals, but is lacking some of the wicked solo-synth stuff found in my JX10 library. I"m sure it is capable and is just a matter of taking the time to program or modify some of the existing solo patches on the new one.

I have a ton of regret. Especially after hearing Dazz Jazz & Espen Krafts' patches.

This past summer a friend's church was getting rid of a ton of stuff in their storage room and to see if I had any interest in it. They had a nice JX8P in an old anvil case. He asked if I wanted to buy it, and to figure out a fair price. It had been left behind from a visiting group from Japan and was set up for Japanese power. I couldn't turn it on to even hear it. At that weird particular moment in time, I was trying to scale back on stuff. I couldn't imagine a place to put it, and whether I'd ever really use it or just add to the hoard. I passed, and kicking myself now.

Anyway......briefly had the Sh-101 and the Jx3p boutiques. Sold them both. I may not of given them enough of a fair shake. Just couldn't get them into my workflow, and too tiny for me. The Studio Electronics mini clone is pretty great, and have contemplated that.. I'd love reading from JX-08 owners who have also owned the real thing, as maybe I need to keep an open mind.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I am really keen on this JX-08 if I can figure out a way to make it work in a live rig - I have tried multiple Boutiques and found it fussy, given the non-rack form factor and the mini audio output. I may invest a little more time into thinking about this for the JX-08, since I am so nostalgic for the sounds. My JX-8P was my first real synth bought new and I still have it. I don't gig with it, though I definitely could find a place for its sounds in my rig.

The lack of Sys-Ex is a personal deal-breaker. I can whip new sets in and out of Roland's Cloud D-50 with impunity. That's been a great help in winnowing the mass down to more focused sets, especially as Sampling Time beckons. The 08 would be a huge resource of patches if not for that omission. None of the Boutiques seem to offer it.

People always rave about pads and basses, but I go for polysynths, choirs and piano hybrids. Those take a little more care for maximum real-time playability, so they often show off a synth's depths more fully. I like to sample the best layering patches and best unique kaboomers for future use. Sometimes you can only get away with that once or twice. ;) Can you say "Digital Native Dance?"

Challenge of the Week: rebuild Geoff Downes' ASIA rig with only Boutiques, Behringers and Volcas. You have 2 days. GO! :eek:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Hmmmâ¦I like the A demo of Espen"s vid the bestâ¦the original JX8P. There must have been some reverb on it? JX08 has onboard reverb that can make it a little muddy imho.

I absolutely love the E.Pianos I"ve programmed in my JX10, and have not quite been able to emulate with the JX08 yetâ¦gotta layer up a couple of tones and try some more. I"m still having a blast tweaking.

The 08 showed very well at rehearsal last night. Had just a handful of sounds programmed and they fit perfectly, refreshing some old covers we were getting a little tired of. New gear honeymoon.

edit: Rather uncomfortable analogy with Espen"s grandma, but I get what he means; something slightly missing. However, it is still way better emulation than I can get from any of my other gigging hardware. There is a menu-dive parameter available per patch called Cndi that seems to introduce some oscillator drift that can breath a little life into the sounds. A little goes a long way; too much and it sounds broken. Another technique is to dial up the slightest amount of Envelope on oscillator 2 and adjust the fine tune to compensate it back in tune. I like that even better than the Cndi.

My understanding of the ZenCore based emulations is that not only are they declaredly less authentic than the ACB ones, but someone dived in and managed to actually write converter software that takes your JP-X or Fantom patches created within the emulation, and converts them to full ZenCore patches letting you edit them within the full ZenCore environment, which shows that the "emulations" do not add anything to the sound over what ZenCore does, only present a different user interface over the same ZenCore sound engine, itself a combination of VA and PCM tech with no information available on exactly how much of it is actually sample based. This is obviously just a speculation and I wish it wasn't true, but if it is, the JX-08 and further ZenCore based Boutiques are basically cash grabs.

Life is subtractive.

Life is subtractive.

From what I understand, Tom of Synth Anatomy does a good job with fact checking and does not publish fake news - at least for synths, lol. He says JX-08 is a Zen Core Model Expansion:

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/11/roland-jx-08-bi-timbral-jx-8p-synth-emulation-in-boutique-format.html

I don't quite understand the difference between Zen Core and Zen Core Model Expansions. All I know is I can't install any of the Model Expansions on my Zen-Core hardware, because neither piece is a Fantom or Jupiter X/Xm.

JX-8P Model Expansion for Zenology is $149.

Anyway, my curiosity was piqued by the "is it Zen Core?" thing. I'm satisfied with the Zen Core devices I have. I'm quite happy with the sound packs I've downloaded from Roland Cloud so far, and installed in my MC-707. It helps that i don't have much nostalgic attachment to any particular Roland synths of the past, but I do respect the feelings of those who don't like it for whatever reason.

I also preferred A, but it's not like B was terrible. I just took a brief listen and perhaps it had more clarity and definitely had a frequency shift vs B (perhaps something to eq).

fx are certainly a culprit for muddiness. If they did apply verb to the real jx8, it would be worth knowing what they used. It would be hard for an inexpensive module reverb to compete with some powerhouse studio verb or plate for example.

Given that the original had no verb, hopefully they didn't add it to either, that would be a more fair comparison. I didn't pay enough attention to notice one way or another.

I don't quite understand the difference between Zen Core and Zen Core Model Expansions. All I know is I can't install any of the Model Expansions on my Zen-Core hardware, because neither piece is a Fantom or Jupiter X/Xm.

This quote from the last link I posted might illuminate:

...convert any sound of any Model Expansions into the corresponding Zen-Core tone: this tone will sound identical, it will be editable and obviously it can be played on any Zen-Core Hardware (Ax-Edge, Rd-88, MC-101, MC-107 and MV-1 included), Zenology software and ZenBeat APP (ZC1 instrumets)... To understand how this is possible, it is necessary to think of Model Expansions, as templates (or macros) that in the 'background' operate on the Zen-Core structure corresponding to the chosen model.

Each time you intervene on a model synthesis parameter, the software (firmware in the HW) modifies one or more parameters of the Zen-Core engine based on very precise correspondences, which continues to operate exactly as in standard mode. In addition, hidden Zen-Core parameters are activated and modified that cannot be accessed directly, but only via MIDI SysEx.

Life is subtractive.

This quote from the last link I posted might illuminate:

I did read your posts and the links you posted. Thanks for sharing.

I"m a sucker for a JX-10. It was perhaps the first synth I really longed for.

I don"t know if I could justify this unit right now, though. I can get a lot of similar sounds with existing plugins (and I don"t play live).

I"m not thrilled about the 1/8' output (previously mentioned). A 1/4' output would seem more appropriate. I"d take a pair of stereo 1/4' outs over any built-in speaker.

The test I apply for new gear is: Will it help me finish open projects, or will it inspire me enough to take my music in new directions or try all-new ideas?

This one probably doesn"t eclipse that threshold.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase