Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Updated opinions from Radial KL-8 users?

eric

Hi there,

I did my best searching and found some old threads back when the Radial KL-8 was new, so rather than resurrecting a zombie alert thread, I figured I would start a new one. :wave:

I have been interested in the KL-8 since I learned about it, though my Key Largo has handled things nicely for my current rig. I am doing a rack overhaul, as my current rack is a little too crowded, and I may leave room for another synth module. Along the way, I'm considering replacing my Key Largo with a KL-8 and putting the Key Largo into a lighter duty rig for rehearsals and pick-up gigs.

The main reason I am considering this move is to have a true rack mount unit where I can easily access the controls on stage, vs. my Key Largo which is zip-tied to a rack shelf and I find the knobs get bumped by cables that I store inside the rack. It's not as easy to access the Key Largo inside a rack. Also, I think the KL-8 *might* be able to solve a monitor send requirement for my IEMs, potentially giving me the option to decommission my Shure P4M submixer where I can dial in the mix of stereo keys vs. stereo monitor feed of band instruments.

I'd be forever grateful if any KL-8 users could share how this gear is working out for them and anything that surprised you or worried you about it? Also, is the jump from Key Largo to KL-8 worth my time and money?

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Eric,

I don't have comments on the KL-8 itself. However, as you know, I prefer all outboard gear to be in a rack, right down to my computer (Mac Mini)

I find it to be the best and most secure method compared to zip-tying things, especially as we play larger festivals

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I"ve got all 3 mixers including the high end 8 channel Tube Mixer. I thought it would be great for VST"s but is better as a Guitar/hardware synth mixer.

KL8 is really a great mixer, gives you more channels than the Largo and really shines in its role as a send to FOH.

I actually turned off my stage monitors because I preferred the sound from FOH over a mix of stage monitors/FOH.

I think you"ll like the ugly bugger. If you don"t need the channels though the Largo has the same excellent tone.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I was planning to upgrade from the Key Largo to the KL8, but ended up keeping them both (*home studio use). I have the Largo on top of the Kurz with my analogue boards and the effects rack run through it. The monitor out of the Largo goes into the KL8, along with other equipment. The KL8 has a port that allows you to chain 2 (or more?) of them together if you need more channels, but this seems to work.

The only knocks on either unit is that they both don't support iOS (may not matter) and on the KL8 you can have one or the other USB inputs, but not both. It's designed as a manual fail-over for your redundant laptop rig; it just would have been nice to have the ability to access both simultaneously. I added an iConnectivity Audio4+ which speaks to both my iPad and Mac Mini simultaneously so I'm not using the USB features of the Radials.

If I were doing it again today, I'd go for the Ashly 308b for the extra channels and the iConnect PlayAudio12 for my midi and USB computer connections.

Kurzweil PC3x - Polybrute - Voyager XL - Minitaur - Roland PK-5 - Integra-7 - TR-8s - KArp Odyssey

"Prog keyboardists are supposed to look like they're manning the helm of the Starship Enterprise..." -synthizen2