Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone here seen heard or played a Korg D1?

miden

https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/d1/

Came across one just recently and immediately thought it would be a good addition to sit under another board in a stand. Maybe as part of an iOS rig perhaps.

Anyone here come across them before or heard or even played one?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

I looked at and tried a D1, B2, Yamaha P125, Roland FP 30, Kawai ES110 and a Casio PX S1000.

The Kawai had clacky keys so discounted it straight away.

Of the remainder the Korgs came bottom of the list in terms of sound, features and keyboard feel, subjective yes but that is what I found which was a shame as I am a big fan of Korg kit.

The Yamaha P125 had the best piano sounds but the remainder were just bearable.

The Roland had the best keybed and almost as good set of piano sounds

I ended up buying the Yamaha and it served me well but I only bought it over the Roland as there is a 73 key version in the P121 and two of my criteria was mobility and weight

Feck u

I actually preferred the Kawai es110 of the ones in that range I checked out, I like a light action...if it was noisy or clacky I didn't notice it.

I think I was considering the Korg D1 but it was out of stock everywhere at the time (iirc). So was the es110 for that matter, so I ended up getting a used Moxf8 (this was initially for my son's music class, covid meant they couldn't use the music lab at the college.)

Any model that didn't have an actual midi port (not just usb) I ruled out immediately; I might or might want to midi it up to my other keyboards in a live situation, but it's dumb to leave it off and I wanted to keep the option on the table.

Thanks guys. The D1 does have a midi port, and it has the RH3 action. There are quite a few Kronos owners on the forum afaik, with not a lot of complaint about the keybed, so I thought it might be a decent buy. I had heard that Kawai was a bit more "sluggish" or slow in the keybed action department which is why I have always eschewed considering them. The D1 does look to have a large flat area on which to place a low profile bluetooth controller as well.

Anyway thanks again for the thoughts, and on the other keys tried. All noted!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I don't remember what the RH3 feels like but it seems to have a good reputation.

I wouldn't say the es110 action is sluggish at all, if anything it's probably too light and quick for some. It's not the same action as the es8, or the mp11, which indeed feel heavier (but still very nice, they are much more expensive). I liked it because I am used to such an action from our upright in the house when I grew up.

Weight is a factor for me as well if there's any thought to gigging. The D1 is quite a bit heavier than some of the competition, probably because of that RH3.

I don't remember what the RH3 feels like but it seems to have a good reputation.

I wouldn't say the es110 action is sluggish at all, if anything it's probably too light and quick for some. It's not the same action as the es8, or the mp11, which indeed feel heavier (but still very nice, they are much more expensive). I liked it because I am used to such an action from our upright in the house when I grew up.

Weight is a factor for me as well if there's any thought to gigging. The D1 is quite a bit heavier than some of the competition, probably because of that RH3.

Ahhh, ok fair - it must have been the ES8 and MP11's....I will have a look at the ES110...there are a few around at the mo second hand (as is the D1 I'm looking at $500 AUD)

I ordered a D1 but it developed a broken key within a few weeks. Sent it back. It's a fairly heavy mechanism (heavy as in lifting weight) in a very lightweight casing. Even though I was careful with it, I sort of suspect that standing it on its end may have damaged it. Just a theory. It was the very lowest key that broke, and I literally never play that key.

I've always been reasonably happy playing RH3, so was enjoying that about the D1. The internal sounds are disappointing. Korg has excellent AP and EP sounds, but you won't find them in the D1. I was using it to trigger software and it worked quite well on default velocity.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64