Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It was 50 years ago today...

That's All Right, Mama

Well, that's all right Mama, that's all right for you.

That's all right, Mama, just any way you do,

That's all right, that's all right.

That's all right, now, Mama, any way you do.

Well Mama, she done told me, Papa done told me too,

"Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you,"

But that's all right, that's all right.

(guitar solo)

I'm leavin' town baby, I'm leavin' town for sure.

Well then you won't be bothered with me hangin' 'round your door,

But that's all right, that's all right.

A da da dee, dee dee dee, dee dee dee dee dee.

Dee dee dee dee dee,

I need your lovin'. That's all right,

that's all right, now, mama, any way you do.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Mats, was Elvis the superstar in Europe as he was in America? I wonder about these things, do they dress-up and grow sideburns and wear sunglasses like the "king" did?

It's hard to believe that a guy with that kind of show-biz success would dope himself to an early grave, seems to happen a lot though. I have alway's had a different picture of Europe not adopting such foolish idols? :freak:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Originally posted by pseudonym:

So Mats, was Elvis the superstar in Europe as he was in America?

One thing to remember,Col. Parker(Elvis's manager)shrewdly kept Elvis away from Europe because of his own immigration status,but I'm sure it didn't keep the phenomonem from happening anyway.I guess the fact that there have been Elvis look-a-like contests in Japan for years might be telling.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Elvis was HUGE!

"do they dress-up and grow sideburns and wear sunglasses like the "king" did?"

Well, occasionally but it's not that common here.

Elvis' popularity over here was mostly focused on his music, just like Frank Sinatra or Liza Minelli (who used to be quite popular).

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

Elvis was HUGE in Europe. Well UK anyway. He never came here, but sold shedloads of records, and spawned a million lookalikes.

Wow! You mean "shitloads" actually CAME from something other than idiot southerners like me? Shedloads? Oh happy day, I learned something.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I remember it very well. I was a very young kid when there was a carnival right in front of our house.

There was a boxing tent where they played Elvis the whole evening, "Blue Suede Shoes" really knocked me down.

Those were the days!

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Elvis was incredibly popular this side of the pond. I did a few major tours (Wembley, Olympia Halle, etc.) as a backup musician for the Jordanaires. They were Elvis' backup singers for about 14 years since 1956.

The tour was a Tribute to Elvis and of course we played all his greatest hits. Every gig was sold out and it was an unforgetable experience to do Elvis songs with the same guys that sang on so many of the original recordings and appeared in his movies.

BTW, they were also the first people who used the number system and were a big part in creating the "Nashville sound". After all the inside stories they told me about working with The King I just had to go to Memphis and visit Graceland. :thu:

Wonderful people, great memories and even more respect for Elvis than I already had before I met them. Unfortunately two members passed on a few years ago.

Here's a link to their website with more info on them and of course their years with Elvis:

http://www.jordanaires.net/

steelandre.

Elvis was HUGE!!!

Well, in most pics i've seen, yeah... *snicker snicker*

BTW, they were also the first people who used the number system and were a big part in creating the "Nashville sound". After all the inside stories they told me about working with The King I just had to go to Memphis and visit Graceland.

Steelandre, what is this "number system" you speak of?

I have alway's had a different picture of Europe not adopting such foolish idols?

Me too! Granted, Elvis was a phenomenon and he was nowhere near as ridiculous as modern day Britneys and ButtSqueak Boys, but i still think that the ppl of the US are more ready to accept stupidity than the people in other countries (i.e. europe)

I wish i were wrong about that.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Steelandre, what is this "number system" you speak of?

Hey phaeton, it's a system called The Nashville number system where you replace i.e. chord progressions with regular numbers which reference the steps of a major scale.

Like instead of using "G/C/G/D" you'll write:

"1415" where "1" is the root key of the song. Minor chords are either written like this: m or - behind the number.

6- in the key of G would be Em. 2- would be Am, and so forth.

It was actually Charlie McCoy who introduced this to me first and taught me how to use it. It's real easy when you need 'invisable' charts on stage ;) or when the singer suddenly decides to change the original key of a song.

Actually I have seen Charlie use it to write down single note licks as well in some fast blue grass tunes we played. Simply amazing.

If you google "Nashville number system" you will find links to explanations and books like:

http://www.nashvillenumbersystem.com/

http://www.alanhorvath.com/LSN5.php

http://www.brendanburns.com/Lessons/askbwb/nashville.htm

Hope that helped, cheers.

steelandre.

Wow! Rock is 50.

Does this mean Rock can get a senior discount at bad chain restaurants? Has Rock filled out its AARP membership application yet?

At least it's not dead, despite some folks' prediction of its early demise. Long live rock!

- Jeff

Hey phaeton, it's a system called The Nashville number system where you replace i.e. chord progressions with regular numbers which reference the steps of a major scale.

Like instead of using "G/C/G/D" you'll write:

That's what i thought you meant by that, heh..

the whole I IV V7 stuff ;)

Though i thought that it originated in the classical era of the 1800s, so i was "oh, it can't be *that*".. ;)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

It is the same system used to analyze classical music. I have a bachelor's degree in that silly subject.

I ii iii IV V vi vii

Of course, the vii is diminished. :thu:

I sent countless hours picking apart baroque, classical and romantic-era music based on this system.

- Jeff

Archived