Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alto Introducing TX 3 series

MPN21

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TX308

Amplifier: 350 watts (peak), 175 watts

Frequency Response: 75 Hz â 20 kHz (-3 dB)

Max SPL: 114 dB

12.3 lb

$129

TS308

1000 watt (i'm not sure how they are calculating 2000 watts in their copy)

52-22khtz

Max SPL 126db

20.2lbs

$269

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I picked up a pair of these last month for 2nd practice rig. I like them a lot. I prefer my EV stuff. But I could be Jedi mind tricking myself. The Altos sound pretty good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS310--alto-ts310-2000w-10-inch-powered-speaker?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a TS308.

IMO, the TX series to date has been "you get what you pay for" -- a decent budget speaker line similar to other speakers in their price range. In contrast, the TS series is a real "bang for the buck" value that compares to much higher priced speakers.

I've got some older-generation Alto 8's and 12's. I use the 12's as my music room PA, and use the 8's as recording monitors. I love both pairs! Sort of scared to compare them with EV or QSC, for fear I'll find out what I'm missing! :-)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I didn't even know they had an older TX series (TX2s). I've been thinking for a while about acquiring lighter speakers than my K8s but never saw any that were lighter enough to warrant buying. Can't justify spending ~$500 to save five pounds of shlep - but these TX308s are half the weight of the K8s â and cost the same as those small self-powered "personal monitors." Funny because my initial reason for buying the K8s twelve years ago was to cut my shlep and get speakers for "quieter" gigs than my Mackie 450s. Back then the K8s fit the bill because they were half the weight of the 450s, now history might be repeating itself. Of course the K8s completely replaced the 450s for both quiet and loud gigs. I'm not under any illusions that's gonna happen if I get these, but I hate doing loud gigs anyway. I'd be curious to hear what kind of sound quality I could get for $129 apiece. Not expecting miracles, but for that money and weight savings, there might be a little room to bend.

So will someone please buy a pair and report? :)

I have a TS308.

IMO, the TX series to date has been "you get what you pay for" -- a decent budget speaker line similar to other speakers in their price range. In contrast, the TS series is a real "bang for the buck" value that compares to much higher priced speakers.

Completely agree. I sold my pair of K8s early last year when the gigs dried up. 18 months later and we are playing again so I picked up a TS310. Bearing in mind they are less than half the price of the QSCs I am amazed at how good it sounds playing rock/alternative stuff. There was very little Alto stock in the UK over summer so I was lucky to find one. I will defo add a 2nd when new stock arrives. They are very loud and even just using one unit, at the volume we play at they sound as good as the K8s - the TS seems to cut through the mix better. I like the fact there is no DSP to colour the sound apart form a loudness button. I use a mixer though to get a healthy level into the TS - seems to make a big difference to how loud it'll go before clipping.

Sort of scared to compare them with EV or QSC, for fear I'll find out what I'm missing! :-)

I picked up a pair TS310s at a going-out-of-business sale. They give my QSC k8.2s a good run for the money. The k8.2s sound good across the board, especially piano; while I find the TS310s need to be tamed with a touch of EQ in the high/low end. My k8.2s are dedicated to keyboards, and I use the TS310s as vocal monitors.

Despite the EQ - I am impressed by the Alto TS3 series, they're a very good bang for the buck. Definitely will use them when events/gigs get going again. The new budget Alto TX3 line also looks pretty good for the price, I'm thinking they might be good for re-enforcement or as a set of practice/rehearsal speakers.

Would love to see comparison reviews of the Alto TS3 series with the QSC CP and Yamaha DBR lines.

Last year I recommended TS308s to a community services org I was doing some teaching at. I used them with Casio DPs that I also recommended. "Bang for buck" was a prime consideration, seeing what these organizations deal with to keep going. They put a lot of money into their after-school music teaching program and I was involved in both recommending gear and teaching there.

I never hauled my original K8s to the facility to do a direct A/B, but my impressions of the TX308s were that they sounded a bit "honky", possibly due to their plastic construction. They certainly were capable of producing good clean acoustic output, worked very well for the intended purpose, and the price was definitely right. It's possible that the TS series would have worked just as well, I just didn't know about them at the time! And yes, I know the QSCs are also plastic. Not sure what to say, maybe there were other factors in how I perceived the TX's sounds. If I ever get the chance I'll try my rig with them and spend some time eq-ing to see if I can improve things. Bottom line is that these speakers seem to offer a lot of value for the price.

TX308

12.3 lb

$129

TS308

52-22khtz

Max SPL 126db

20.2lbs

$269

OK, the frequency response on the TS308 is 62 Hz â 20 kHz (+ 3 dB). Is there a lot of bass difference in real life between 75 Hz and 62 Hz?

Would love to see comparison reviews of the Alto TS3 series with the QSC CP and Yamaha DBR lines.

Based on manufacturer specs and comments here at KC and elsewhere, Alto powered speakers, which I have no experience with, appear to be serious bang-for-the buck.

I'm curious specifically about how the Alto TS310 campares to the Yamaha DBR10 which I currently have. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had real world experience with both because, as we all know, manufacturer specs can be misleading,

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

TX308

12.3 lb

$129

TS308

52-22khtz

Max SPL 126db

20.2lbs

$269

OK, the frequency response on the TS308 is 62 Hz â 20 kHz (+ 3 dB). Is there a lot of bass difference in real life between 75 Hz and 62 Hz?

I think the TX is desirable if carrying less weight and saving $100 is a priority. All of these 8' models benefit from being paired with a sub. So a little more low end when not is nice. Pitch wise, 62htz to 75htz, is about an octave. Like everything else, it would be worth setting them both up next to each other in the shop before making your pick.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560