Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reason ReFills on eBay

I just clicked on a Google Ad to help support the forums and all that and I stumbled across some Reason Refills for sale on e-bay. I did a quick search and found plenty more. Have a look.

Ignoring the obvious pirates, there seem to be a few good ones here, complete with positive feedback etc.

Has anyone ever bought like this?

Has anyone ever sold like this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tech,

If you say this regarding Doru's site, that's all stuff made by him, he's a composer and an amateur and uses this stuff as good motivation to reach his homepage....you may like the samples or not, but they are really free...in less than few months his site would have been closed otherwise...

Consider also a thing, that in the community of the Creamware Audio cards users (former Pulsar, Scope etc.) together with some excellent and breathtaking commercial plugs, there are tons of free stuff for the platform, put out by the same commercial developers, most of wich outperform most of the commercial native stuff around. So many people there are keen to make free stuff for the others, and those that don't develope plugins, like to contribute with samples, loops etc., that's another way to show your own creativity.

Sometimes, these free samples are more interesting than commercial ones, as you find some creativity not constrained by marketing limitations...other times they are not worth, anyway, the future is for the curious... :)

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Thanks for the link alfonso!

Dan, I wouldn't even consider buying pirated software. That's not what I was meaning. I found a few ReFills for sale on eBay which appear to be somebody's own creation, just like alfonso's friend. I actually think it's a good way to make a little bit of extra money, assuming Proppelerhead are OK with it of course. There are lots of people who offer their creations for free, again just like alfonso's friend.

Thanks for the input though, I understand what you're saying.

John Scott

You can not register a ReFill.

So, it seems people are buying original stuff, install -or simply copy- the sounds and resell the CDs arguing it's still original material from factory.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by flyscots:

Understood Gus, but could some of them not just be people genuinely creating their own patches and samples, making their own ReFills and looking to make a bit of cash for their troubles?

Yes it's a possibility and then, I fully support them :thu:

I just wish it's really original material created form scratch and not just modified already existen ReFills.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Some of the dorumalaia stuff is really excellent. The guy who makes the refills is purely sincere. I stumbled upon his site about three years ago and he keeps coming up with new refills.

I have them all and must say I use them very frequently.

I collected about 40 gigs of samples from the net and the reason I don't make a site like he does is because I'm not sure where the samples I collected originate from. I recently asked on one of Craigs other forums how to clear unknown samples like that but I'm still affraid to intwine them in my compositions.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Well I decided to give it a go and order one of the ReFills. I chose the Trip-Hop one, partly because I like trip-hop (although I hat genre titles!) and partly because the guy I'm buying from seemed genuine, I believe that this is his own creation, hopefully.

Thanks again for the Doru Malaia link. :thu: I'll be working my way through his stuff over the next few days.

Boosh, I try and note down the source of each sample I use so that I can retrace my steps if I need to. Its easy to get lost isn't it! I always look for somthing like this from Doru's site:

you can use those samples how you want in your compositions
There are so many generic samples though. I remember I was in a hip-hop studio in Philadelphia where a 'producer' was working his way through a sample CD. About a third of the soundbytes were instantly recognisable from other hip-hop tracks. It makes you wonder how many people have exactly the same sounds as you. It also makes you wonder, as in this case, how little musical work is going into making a succesful chart hit! Whoever made the original samples had done far more than the so-called producer!

Just a quick update for anyone who cares.

I got the Trip-Hop Refill and basically for the price I paid I can't complain.

Gus, it does seem like some of the stuff on this disc is not the seller's original work. It looks like he's added some patches he's downloaded from Reasonfreaks or somewhere similar.

The bulk of the Refill, however, is his own work. There's a lot of good sounds in there, but some of the Rex files aren't up to scratch. He has some great sounding piano loops but they're all around 90bpm and don't convert properly to new tempos because there aren't enough slices.

For £5 though, I'll put up with it.

John

Hey John,

Speaking of Refills

One of my favorites is PRO.TON for shear value and killer idea implementation. Its $19 USD but it gives you amazing analog sounds that are really flexible.

Also when you can afford it and have access to high speed connection you may also want to consider a subscription to PrimeSounds . Freakin brilliant idea. I joined for three months a couple of years ago (when it was about $60 for three months) and d/l'd my maximum a day/week every week during that time which was like a 150mb worth of files a week. Plus they were compressed (non lossy) for the download process so you actually got a bit more than 150mb per week. I wound up with so many files that I am still sorting them all out to this day. Back then they did not have a very large .rex file selection so I had to rex my own from .wav files. It made me become really proficient with Recycle.

Best of luck in your Refills search. :)

Thanks for the tips Lance

Originally posted by DJDM:

I wound up with so many files that I am still sorting them all out to this day.

That's a thing, how do you keep track of all the samples you have? I've got so many from magazine cover discs over the years, for a while there I was spending more time sorting them out than actually getting anything done! I suppose you can never have to much, but it's a task in itself to organise everything.

Originally posted by flyscots:

That's a thing, how do you keep track of all the samples you have?

I have folders with edited and unedited loops and sounds in them. As I employ or edit them I move them to my drive that has all of my usable sounds on it. For some sounds this is a no brainier like individual drum hits. I have three folders chock-a-block full of sounds that I just access via my samplers or ReDrum as I need new sounds.

Loops are either Rex'ed or put into samplers with settings that suit the loops or files and then stored ahead of time for use later.

Set up a system that works for you and then use them till you can't anymore or get sick of your current selection is my process.

The thing is that you can spend forever sorting them out so I try and do it in bulk when possible. I will spend a day or two creating new files to work with and I find that that will last for some time. And since most sampling tools at this point are so sophisticated you can really use the same loops and what not more than once and simply rework them to get completely new sounds.

I think the other thing to keep in mind when you are sorting is categories. This helps me get a lot more use out of them down the line. Do I want a single percussion hit or a cool tonal loop that can be added to an arrangement? With category management I can do this easily.

Here's an example:

http://www.djdm.com/images/images/DJDM_File_Catalogs_01.gif

Archived