Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are PA speakers enjoyable at home?

I"ve been reading every speaker/amp thread I can find as I figure out what to pair with the Vintage Vibe piano I ordered. It seems like the overwhelming recommendation here is to go with powered PA speakers over a keyboard amp. This would be new for me.

Are those style speakers fun to practice with at home? Or are they overwhelming in small spaces? My office is only 12 x 9.

Assuming I go PA is there anything I should consider over a pair of QSC K8.2s with a Key-Largo mixer?

Or will I be happier playing at home with a keyboard amp like the Motion Sound KP-500S? I was initially looking into guitar tube amps but they aren"t stereo as far as I can tell.

(I do plan to gig too but I"m focused on having fun at home first)

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a small pair of 12" PA speakers in the back of my (17 x 13) room for when I want to play keys but don't wanna turn on the studio monitors. I'd think a pair of 8" PA speakers would do ya fine.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

So does your VV piano have an active pickup with stereo panning? I believe thats how they are all sold now but I am not 100% certain. If it's a passive model then stereo doesn't come into play because the piano is in mono. Well, it's in mono anyway but will pan left and right if it's active.

Honestly, the VV stereo console would be the best fit for your small room, but I get you don't want to spent another $5000 just for a speaker console.

What is your budget?

:nopity:

So does your VV piano have an active pickup with stereo panning? I believe thats how they are all sold now but I am not 100% certain. If it's a passive model then stereo doesn't come into play because the piano is in mono. Well, it's in mono anyway but will pan left and right if it's active.

Yeah exactly - the tremolo is just a left to right pan if I understand correctly. I think if I only had a single mono speaker the tremolo wouldn't work at all. Correct me if anyone knows otherwise.

Honestly, the VV stereo console would be the best fit for your small room, but I get you don't want to spent another $5000 just for a speaker console.

Yeah that's super expensive. For that money I could get a nice amp plus the synths on my wish list (Prophet 6 and Subsequent 37).

You are correct about the modulation labeled tremelo, it is left to right panning. Your budget is good. A Motion Sound KP 408S is going to cost around the same price as a pair of QSC 8.2's. You will need to decide if you want to schlep 1 or 2 cabinets when that time comes.

I agree with dB that 8"s will suffice for your space.

Actually, a CPS SS3 placed directly underneath your piano would sound fantasic.

:nopity:

I would say the smaller the room the smaller the speakers you want. Speakers need to be driven at a certain level to get to where they get in there sweet spot, the same with amps. I would say a pair of 8" QSC's would be a good choice for home practice, rehearsal, or jam and good for small gigs. Get a couple study bar stools to put them on and you're all set.

Some speakers can still sound amazing outside their sweet spot. I recall shopping for a car sound system years ago and the demo room was small but sound treated. The best sounding system, but quite impractical, was one which included 12" or 15" (I think they were larger than 12") woofers. Keep in mind this was a car system. Maybe it was just hearing such a rich sound and full range from a car system and who knows what that sounded like in a car but in that room they sounded like something I would like at home. When they demoed them they did not crank things up yet it sounded amazing. Maybe it sounded even better cranked up but it did not sound like a car stereo system. It sounded like a home system and that was what hooked me. Another sales guy, an older man, approached me after as I was looking around the showroom. This other salesman attempted to discourage me from choosing that system with the large woofers. He said most of the sound would leak out and was behind all that thumping you hear sometimes. But I knew I would never have the volume up that high and was hooked. I made one of the worst purchases of my life. I had done a lot of research and had ideas which I locked onto about brands and specific components. I thought I could assemble something equally amazing with better specs. Once everything was installed in my car it all sounded like poop. I lived with that poop for years and lost all interest in replacing stock sound systems in my cars thereafter.

Interesting - I had never heard of this and had to google it, but it does look like something to consider as well.

The CPS SSv3 would be an interesting pairing with the VV, I think. While the EQ response of the CPS isn't the greatest for acoustic pianos, I think it adds a very pleasant, warm color to organ and electric pianos. The stereo effect is spooky good, and I've tried it with stereo panning, although not on a VV obviously. It sounds great, like you're sitting inside a leslie or something. If it were me, I'd lay it horizontal on a low amp stand, side speaker facing down.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I"ve been reading every speaker/amp thread I can find as I figure out what to pair with the Vintage Vibe piano I ordered. It seems like the overwhelming recommendation here is to go with powered PA speakers over a keyboard amp. This would be new for me.

Are those style speakers fun to practice with at home? Or are they overwhelming in small spaces? My office is only 12 x 9.

Assuming I go PA is there anything I should consider over a pair of QSC K8.2s with a Key-Largo mixer?

Or will I be happier playing at home with a keyboard amp like the Motion Sound KP-500S? I was initially looking into guitar tube amps but they aren"t stereo as far as I can tell.

(I do plan to gig too but I"m focused on having fun at home first)

I've never played a Vintage Vibe piano but insofar as it is an electromechanical piano like a Rhodes or Wurlitzer, I think you were on the right track with the guitar amps. The "classic" electric piano sound is powered by something like a Fender Twin Reverb or Roland JC120.

Have you looked at the Roland JC-40? A newer, "little brother" to the JC-120, with stereo inputs. And a good size for use in a small room at home.

Interesting - I had never heard of this and had to google it, but it does look like something to consider as well.

The Space Station is somewhat legendary on this forum. Here is the primary and completely unwieldy forum discussion about it: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602284/1

SS3 could be a good choice, but I don't know about that placement. You generally need some distance for the effect to "bloom." Or I think possibly more precisely, you want to be far enough away that you're not in danger of hearing the sound mostly directly from its main speaker. Sp you'd probably want it more like 5 or 6 feet away, I think.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I first got my SSv3 I experimented with placement in the home office - the best turned out to be just inside a closet with the doors open. Sound was everywhere.

I wonder, though, if there would be enough fidelity and noise-free sound from it, in a small room. I"d tend toward a couple of small powered PA cabs. I"ve never heard the Roland JC-40 but the specs & reviews look promising.

Here for the gear.

For live gigging, I would concur that self-powered PA speakers are generally better than keyboard amps. They tend to be closer to FRFR (full range, flat response) than many keyboard amps (although I'm sure there are exceptional amps out there). Key factors to selecting a PA speaker are dispersion, and how they actually sound to you with acoustic piano (as well as weight). And IMHO, they sound best if you elevate them and get them off the floor.

But for smaller-space home use, I'm very much NOT a fan of self-powered PA speakers, unless I intentionally want to practice with my gig rig - and then I want a larger room or garage.

For your stated room, I would much prefer smaller studio monitors and a sub - a system that I've spent time with listening to well-produced tracks, doing some tracking dn mixing and tracking, programming patches and such. So I know what they sound like at modest and higher volumes.

Monitor selection depends on the intended proximity and volume, and there are tons of great choices out there. For good value, I might suggest considering JBL 305 or 306 with their 310 sub for your sized space.

Just my opinion.

Honestly, the VV stereo console would be the best fit for your small room

IF the VV console is the gold standard, that is more evidence against OP going with PA speakers or other flat response amps. The VV console uses guitar speakers (Eminence Legends) that presumably color the sound in a good way, like a guitar amp.

Rhodes are like other Fender instruments, in that the amp and speakers are "part of the sound". For most keyboard applications we want the amp and speakers to "disappear" and not have any effect on the sound at all. Hammond, EP and Clav are different. A classic accompaniment to a Rhodes is a Fender Twin, Vox AC30 or Roland JC120.

Cheers, Mike.

I still have a JBL Eon 15 G1 (powered monitor) at home..................it's loud. Add some gain through a mixer, and then it's super loud!

That's about all I can say for it for using at home. That and maybe throwing an 18KHz tone at high volume for...unspecified reasons.

I've been using smaller speakers, a modest solid-state amp, and a subwoofer and that modest setup is much more controllable and pleasant for a digital piano, which is mostly all I play at home these days. I do run it through a Mackie 12-channel mixer, but I rarely tinker with the EQ on the (mono) channel.

Rhodes are like other Fender instruments, in that the amp and speakers are "part of the sound". For most keyboard applications we want the amp and speakers to "disappear" and not have any effect on the sound at all. Hammond, EP and Clav are different. A classic accompaniment to a Rhodes is a Fender Twin, Vox AC30 or Roland JC120.

My first though was Fender Twin... except for the stereo thing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As far as SSv3 placement, it isn't as critical in a smaller room. Lots of short reflections. I put mine under the keyboard, main facing towards my legs, side speaker aimed at floor. In that mode, sound comes at you from all angles.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

For live gigging, I would concur that self-powered PA speakers are generally better than keyboard amps. They tend to be closer to FRFR (full range, flat response) than many keyboard amps (although I'm sure there are exceptional amps out there). Key factors to selecting a PA speaker are dispersion, and how they actually sound to you with acoustic piano (as well as weight). And IMHO, they sound best if you elevate them and get them off the floor.

But for smaller-space home use, I'm very much NOT a fan of self-powered PA speakers, unless I intentionally want to practice with my gig rig - and then I want a larger room or garage.

For your stated room, I would much prefer smaller studio monitors and a sub - a system that I've spent time with listening to well-produced tracks, doing some tracking dn mixing and tracking, programming patches and such. So I know what they sound like at modest and higher volumes.

Monitor selection depends on the intended proximity and volume, and there are tons of great choices out there. For good value, I might suggest considering JBL 305 or 306 with their 310 sub for your sized space.

Just my opinion.

+1

That's my home (apartment) practice setup I have a pair of Yamaha HS7's and plenty loud for home playing. If I was to it again I would move up to the Yamaha HS8's to get a little more bottom end. Only reason I got the HS7 over the HS8 is they were physically a bit smaller. Plus being nearfield monitors they develop their sound in my position behind my keyboard, where PA speaker or guitar or keyboard amp are designed to develop their sound further out. If I used PA speakers for practice space I'd put them on opposite side of the room from me.

As far as SSv3 placement, it isn't as critical in a smaller room. Lots of short reflections. I put mine under the keyboard, main facing towards my legs, side speaker aimed at floor. In that mode, sound comes at you from all angles.

Same way I use mine, except behind me.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The CPS SSv3 would be an interesting pairing with the VV, I think. While the EQ response of the CPS isn't the greatest for acoustic pianos, I think it adds a very pleasant, warm color to organ and electric pianos. The stereo effect is spooky good, and I've tried it with stereo panning, although not on a VV obviously. It sounds great, like you're sitting inside a leslie or something. If it were me, I'd lay it horizontal on a low amp stand, side speaker facing down.

Haven"t heard that reference in quite awhile. Felt like a Welcome Back, Kotter moment for some odd reason.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I was researching the Vox VX50KB and I hadn't realised that, unlike most PA speakers/keyboard amps, the Vox has a Nutube circuit and is designed for distortion.

Given Korg's pedigree for EP going back to the SV1, a pair of these could be a solid choice.

Cheers, Mike.

Are PA speakers enjoyable at home?

I've actually experimented both ways, i.e. using PA speakers with home stereo amplifier and the home stereo speakers with the PA amplifier. Neither of the above combinations sounded better than what they were intended for. Home stereo amp and speakers were better for cd, dvd's and PA combinations were better for instrumentation like bass, keys, drums, vocals, etc.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

PA combinations were better for instrumentation like bass, keys, drums, vocals, etc.

This thread is all about looking for the right thing to play my keyboard through.

I'm leaning towards buying a pair of PA speakers first, because it seems like they will at the very least be a great option to gig with. Especially if/when I add some synths to the mix which might not be a great fit for a guitar amp or the SSV3. And if I hate the PA speakers for practicing in my office, I can always buy a second amp for the office sometime in the future.

PA combinations were better for instrumentation like bass, keys, drums, vocals, etc.

This thread is all about looking for the right thing to play my keyboard through.

I'm leaning towards buying a pair of PA speakers first, because it seems like they will at the very least be a great option to gig with. Especially if/when I add some synths to the mix which might not be a great fit for a guitar amp or the SSV3. And if I hate the PA speakers for practicing in my office, I can always buy a second amp for the office sometime in the future.

Self powered PA speakers - good ones like the QSC you are considering, sound great. Friends of mine use a pair of the previous version of the 8 for vocals and acoustic guitar when they play live. It's plenty for most to the gigs they do, the band leader has a bigger PA but rarely has to lug it.

For keys there may be gigs where all you need is one. That lightens the load and shrinks the size considerably.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.