Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2021-2022 Thread

First two games of Golden State and Memphis have been quite close and often played at a frenetic pace. Fun stuff.

9 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

First two games of Golden State and Memphis have been quite close and often played at a frenetic pace. Fun stuff.

OTOH, it's fun to watch two teams run up and down the court jacking up shots. But, the lack of defense puts a fine line between watching a  pro game and the Harlem Globetrotters.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Warriors made lite work of the Grizzlies tonight.

Hopefully, Ja Morant isn't badly injured and will be able to finish the series. That young man can ball. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sad news:

NBA great Bob Lanier, Hall of Fame center for Detroit Pistons and Milwaukee Bucks, dies at 73

In addition to his illustrious career as a player, Lanier was a longtime, global ambassador for basketball who was beloved by those who knew him. He will be sorely missed.

Best,

Geoff

• Sad 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Golden State Warriors taking a beatdown from a Memphis Grizzlies  team minus their star player. The game is being played in Memphis.

The Warriors have played both sides of the ball sloppily since the game started. Looks like they purposefully took the night off in order to close out at home on Friday. 

I take nothing away from the Grizzlies. They are playing their hearts out. Their shots are falling. They deserve to win. 😎

PD

It's now 3-3.

The Mavericks have proven impossible to beat in Dallas. I'm glad the Suns have home court advantage as no one has won an away game this series. Here's hoping for one more home team victory in Phoenix.

Suns.jpeg.6588317db9a8846df15f70ad435772d0.jpeg

GO SUNS!!!  :thu:  :cool:  :rawk: 

Best,

Geoff

9 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

It's now 3-3.

The Mavericks have proven impossible to beat in Dallas. I'm glad the Suns have home court advantage as no one has won an away game this series. Here's hoping for one more home team victory in Phoenix.

If I were to bet on this one, I've got Devin Booker showing up and out on his home court. 

Booker along with Chris Paul, the Suns will close out with a win at home.  😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, timwat said:

My Dubs move forward! 

Much respect to a young Memphis crew w huge future upside in front of them. 

So now to see if it’s Phoenix or Dallas next.  

...And from my perspective, it's Golden State or fishing next. ;)

If the Suns are lucky enough to advance to the next round, they will certainly have their hands full with the Warriors. At 2-2, the two teams split their regular season contests this year. With three championships and five conference titles in the last decade, the Dubs' playoff success is intimidating; and this year looks promising for them. I'm sure they'll be a tough opponent in the Western Conference Finals.

Congrats, Tim. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

What a humiliating loss! :facepalm:

Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks author dominant Game 7 effort en route to eliminating Phoenix Suns

Congrats to our Mavericks fans. Doncic put on a clinic—scoring as many points in the first half as Phoenix did (27)—and Dallas's defense dominated the Suns.

The Mavericks were down 0-2 in the series; and they won the next four out of five, capping it with an exclamation point in an away game tonight. They deserve respect for that accomplishment.

Despite the bitter ending to the series, there are still things to be proud of. Phoenix had a franchise best regular season, earning Monty Williams the coach-of-the-year award. I'm sure I'll eventually look back on this season fondly, but not tonight.

Best,

Geoff

This is so weird for me. I don't know if I'm remembering this right, but it didn't seem like the playoffs went this long after the regular season ended last year. But in any case, it's so strange to have all this NBA ball still going on while the Rockets are not in it.

Hopefully that will change next season and beyond.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Doncic is such an outlier of a player.  He reminds me of Bird in some ways (and not talking about skin color).  He gets to where he wants to go, you know he's going there and there's literally nothing you can do about it no matter how slow the pace of his advance.   Double-team and he shoots a pass to the open man.  He's not going to fly over you but he will body you.   Elite body and ball control and use of angles.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

This is so weird for me. I don't know if I'm remembering this right, but it didn't seem like the playoffs went this long after the regular season ended last year.

It makes sense that you might struggle to remember the NBA schedule, Joe. I think the pandemic threw off our sense of when things normally happen because so many things had to be rescheduled.

I looked it up. Last year's playoffs ran later than usual, from May 22 to July 20:

2020–21 NBA season

Of course, it was the prior season that really took a hit, with an interruption of over four months. The playoffs in the NBA Bubble lasted from August 17 to October 11:

2019–20 NBA season

As for what the norm used to be before the pandemic, the 2019 NBA Playoffs ran from April 13 to June 13:

2018–19 NBA season

We're essentially back to the normal schedule now, as this year's NBA Playoffs began on April 16 and will end no later than June 19:

2021–22 NBA season

Best,

Geoff

On 5/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, Geoff Grace said:

It makes sense that you might struggle to remember the NBA schedule, Joe. I think the pandemic threw off our sense of when things normally happen because so many things had to be rescheduled.

Yes - there's that, too! The bubble was kind of fun. It was cool to really hear the games on TV, and it had that tournament kind of feel.

I am hopeful about the Rockets future. They had some moments this past season as they have some really terrific players, and the GM and coach both seem to feel they don't really need different or better players, just time to grow (still, hopefully they'll get a great player with their #3 pick who will just add to the team). Jalen Green's growth throughout the season was pretty spectacular. Towards the end he was doing some ridiculous stuff. He is so quick.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had the ECF game last night on Sling on my second monitor while I was grading stupid students' stupid assignments and stupid quizzes as we turn the corner to stupid Finals Week at college. Went downstairs for dinner at halftime. When I came back up for dinner it was like I was watching a different game. I'm hoping Boston can make a series of it in G2 despite (so I hear) Horford and Smart still out for G2 (is that confirmed?)

And of course, my main root is for my Dubs to display whatever cunning strategy they've devised in 3 days to confront the Doncic riddle tonight.

Go Dubs!

On 5/16/2022 at 8:58 AM, Stokely said:

Doncic is such an outlier of a player.  He reminds me of Bird in some ways (and not talking about skin color).  He gets to where he wants to go, you know he's going there and there's literally nothing you can do about it no matter how slow the pace of his advance.   Double-team and he shoots a pass to the open man.  He's not going to fly over you but he will body you.   Elite body and ball control and use of angles.   

He seems to use his strength quite a bit to get to where he wants to go as well, or at least keep people away from the ball. I see him sometimes slowing down to get the defender to bump into him, doing this hesitation, and then he takes off again. Smart player. 

That said, in Game One against the Warriors, they did a number on him defensively. I don't expect that to always be the case going forward, though.

Doncic isn't super NBA-fast either. In fact, sometimes, it looks like he's going slower than a lot of the other players. This obviously doesn't matter at all.

IMO, Doncic is an excellent player but he won't be able to carry the Mavs to a championship by himself. Especially not against a Warriors team capable of shooting the lights out of the building on any given night.

That being written, I believe the Warriors could be *encouraged* to give the Mavs 2 wins instead of sweeping them. 😎

PD