Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Performer v4

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Plugin Alliance unlocked version 3 and it looks like you can upgrade this to current ver 4 for $99
Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

hmm, I'd double check that as I was told by the folks at GP that you cannot use that path as an upgrade to GP-4, unless of course it is the PA version??

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have the PA unlocked version and received an email today for a $99 upgrade. I've had great experiences with Plugin Alliance & their customer support is fantastic in terms of quickly addressing any issues I've had.
Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

Miden - yes it"s the PA version, but an 'unlocked' full version that just has some PA branding.

Yeah that I know, I was only repeating what the GP guy told me is all. That you could not direct upgrade to GP 4 from any earlier version of GP (PA version)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hey johnchop or anyone else who purchassed the Gig Performer 4 upgrade from Plugin Alliance: I contacted customer support because my "Full" version (which can load all VSTs) kept installing the "PA" version (which can only load PA VSTs). I heard back from them that there installation links got mixed up so until this is fixed you need to load the version you didn't order! Again this is only for Gig Performer 4 upgrades.

BTW after this confusion, I am back up and running the full version 4 after a $99 upgrade fee.

I hope this helps someone who may have been equally frustrated.

Larry

Before I stumbled upon Gig Performer when it first came out, I had been using other plugin hosts such as Forte 4, Catabile, and BloXpander. I only use Gig Performer now. It is so easy to use and yet feature rich.

I use Cantabile now; in general I've figured out how to use it well, but yes, many of those features have steep learning curves, and GP seems to have a simpler/faster workflow. Brad has been amazing about introducing powerful new features, but his architecture

I really like GP's ability to design your own instrument/rack face,

Two things I use in Cantabile all the time that would keep me from switching:

1) a built-in mp3 player that can

a) save triggerable looped sections

b) pitch-independent speed control (for practicing alone and rehearsals)

2) a built-in midi player that can do the above

Does GP offer the same? If so, I'm going to seriously check it out.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of the GP Developers)

So GP4 has an audio player - really intended just to play audio files or loops (MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc) but it does not support pitch-independent speed control. There is a MIDI File player as well which has looping, global tempo sync, etc... where the MIDI File player gets interesting though is that you can use a MIDI file that has embedded CC messages (for example) which can be used to control Gig Performer operations using scriptlets.

Regarding the pitch-independent stuff, our strategy has been to prioritize functionality that is not easily available elsewhere. There are many applications out there that really focus on that specific need (E.g, Amazing Slowdown, Transcribe, Anytune) and since some of them are controllable via MIDI, it's really easy to use them under complete GP4 control. No doubt we'll add support for this at some point but we hate having to reinvent the wheel if someone else has made a better one!

Rather than thinking of GP as being a monolithic "everything", we view it as a managing platform that can be used to control lots of other aspects of your environment, particularly through the use of OSC and scripting.

Dr. David Jameson

Co-founder, Deskew Technologies,

Own The Stage®

https://gigperformer.com

Hey David!

As you know I was an early adopter of GP. Currently on the latest version of GP3 in my gig rig.

I just want to say that GP4 is quite the leap forward. Thank you for the in depth tutorials and example gig files. That is truly helping me learn the new capabilities, of which I will be making good use.

I love the new panels, and "master pane;" as I call it ;)

I'm taking my time with GP4 before I unleash it in my live rig. So far so good. It's running great on my late 2018 Mac Mini and all the VSTs I have (kontakt, NI, Arturia, Keyscape, etc..) just as GP3 does.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Hey johnchop or anyone else who purchassed the Gig Performer 4 upgrade from Plugin Alliance: I contacted customer support because my "Full" version (which can load all VSTs) kept installing the "PA" version (which can only load PA VSTs). I heard back from them that there installation links got mixed up so until this is fixed you need to load the version you didn't order! Again this is only for Gig Performer 4 upgrades.

BTW after this confusion, I am back up and running the full version 4 after a $99 upgrade fee.

I hope this helps someone who may have been equally frustrated.

Larry

Larry â thanks for this!!! I just went for the purchase last night after demoing a bitâthe design-time user experience is so much better than 3. The link issue on the plugin alliance site still isn"t fixed, so your post saved me some headaches.

I make software noises.

Aaaahhhh nice man. Glad my frustrating experience turned out to help someone else.