Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lady Madonna vocals

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't put the vocal timbre down to the mic used. Paul certainly gave that tune a distinctive, kinda ragtime feel to that cut that was almost certainly eq'd in a specific way to emulate old time recordings.

But if you want it to sound like it was recorded with a ribbon mic.. well then, buy a ribbon mic. You can find RCA74's (not the greatest, but commonly used) relatively cheap. RCA44's and 77's will cost you more, and unless they were well kept will need tender loving care. Better yet, there is a whole host of companies making modern design ribbon microphones that are lauded almost universally and several boutique companies building RCA 44 and 77 clones. Look at Royer, in particular, for relatively low cost ribbons that people have been gaga for the past few years. (They're also far more robust than we used to think a ribbon mic could be. ;) ) Beyerdynamic's M160, M260, and M500 are also fine ribbon mics.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Actually, it almost sounds a little like he was trying to emulate one of those old-time megaphone singers (Like Rudy Valee) on that song. You might be able to get sort of that effect by boosting the mids on the vocal track.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by urbanhiker:

Great saxes in that song, backing and the solo.

Let's not slight the comb & tissue paper section!

That EMI lavatory paper was tough on the bum but had great tinsile strength!

More than Rudy Vallee or other oldtimers, Paulie was using his "Elvis" voice.

Yeah, that's what that was...comb and tissue paper...I thought it was a kazoo...but, actually, it's pretty much the same principle.

Nonetheless, a great tune. Thanks for stopping back from the great beyond with that tidbit... ;)

Hey Schniggisus,

That's Paul on vocals...I believe Geoff Emerick talks a little bit about that song in his interview from "Behind the Glass". You'd like that book.

Anyhow, he used a compressor and probly whatever EQ they had at the time and created that highly effected sound. Sounds like Paul was singing kinda funny too.

I think you guys are thinking of Lovely Rita and the comb and paper thing. On Lady Madonna, they did the horn imitation cupping their mouths with their hands. I think that's what you guys are talking about.

I'll dig out all my Beatles reference material on that song and get back to you. However, off the top of my head, I don't believe it was a ribbon mic on the vocals - more likely, it was a U47 or U48 - Geoff's favorite mics - sent into an Altec or Fairchild compressor.

And Ted's correct - a lot of "the sound" is just Macca's voice.

I'll admit it. I kinda of thought it was Ringo singing the first few time I heard it on the radio. Spring of '68 if memory serves. It was the single the Beatles left behind while they were hanging with the Maharishi. As noted, it was Paul doing his Elvis voice. It sounds pretty overdriven with alot of compression.

I've sent them a few things to add to their lists, but they've never posted them... although they did send an email back saying they would. One example, at the end of Hey Jude:

"Jude Judy Judy Judy Judy Judy.. ow, wahow!"

"Ow hoo, my my my" - on the Ow hoo" line (just before "my my my") there's definite distortion of the signal path - Macca's hitting that mic HARD... but I don't think it's the mic overloading - probably the preamp, but more likely the compressor - it sounds like it's pumping pretty hard on those words.

Just got back from playing Glastonbury Festival, where Macca headlined on saturday. He played Lady Madonna, sang in the original style. Played a pschedelic upright piano.Sounded wicked. Me and my mate Dave were in tears in parts of the show. We're old enough to remember what it was like before the Beatles. Oh and he sang "she's a woman" for the first time ever since it was recorded.

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

I always loved "She's a Woman" and I did a cover of it for one of the Keyboard Comp releases - Volume 5. I really had a good time doing it, but it's definitely a difficult song to sing - how did it sound?

I've seen Macca twice - once on the Wings Over America tour (the show where Ringo did a walk on...) and once for the Flowers In The Dirt tour... they recorded Sgt Pepper that night for the "Tripping The Live Fantastic" album. I'm not old enough to remember the pre-Beatles days, but I am old enough to remember the Beatles days. And like you, I definitely got choked up a few times on both occasions.

Macca still puts on a great show - highly recommended! :thu:

Fantastic show. To think he's 60 something, and puts on a 3 hour plus show, and sings so fantasticly and effortlessly, even on the rockers. Truly amazing. And his band is fantastic, too.

He did do She's A Woman on the unplugged CD, btw, from MTV or whatever it was.

Seeing McCartney in the Spring of 2002 (I believe) was the closest thing to a time machine I'll ever experience. The Carnival folks did sort of a walk on, for about 10 minutes. Then the curtains opened, and the band kicked into "Hello Goodbye". It was 1967 again. I swear to God for just a brief few minutes, it was 1967 again.

Yep, there were some stifled sniffles...especially in light of the fact that George had recently passed away. It was like...what would it have been if all four of them had lived and reunited?

I will say that I got to see George in concert in '74. :D

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I always loved "She's a Woman" and I did a cover of it for one of the Keyboard Comp releases - Volume 5. I really had a good time doing it, but it's definitely a difficult song to sing - how did it sound?

Phil - it sounded perfect. :)

Other highlights for me were: Saw her standing there, Long and winding road (sniff!), Blackbird, We can work it out, Got to get you into my life. All perfect.

I was also watching with my singing partner, who is in her early 30's. She didn't quite get it. But as I said, I remember before the Beatles, and the quantum shift in conciousness they brought to this country.

All in all, a perfect few days. I got to play Glastonbury after 4 decades of working there as crew, and I got to see Macca on top form. :cool:

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

Archived