Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That "Russell Ferrante Sound"

Came across a Chuck Loeb tune and the intro just screamed "Russell Ferrante" to me.

Lo and behold, when I checked the album info, Russ played piano and wrote/arranged this tune.

How would you describe this sound, technically? I can think of Michael McDonald, Richard Tee and Harlan Rogers (Koinonia) etc, when it comes to similar blends of Blues and Gospel with Rock and Jazz. But there's something unique about each of their sound that I have yet to nailed down in words.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a deep student of these great players, so can't offer technical distinctions between them. But in case it helps, I enjoyed this video by Woody Goss from Vulfpeck, who provides a good lesson on how to "pump" like Richard Tee, which perhaps is one of his trademarks relative to these other players.

I'm not a deep student of these great players, so can't offer technical distinctions between them. But in case it helps, I enjoyed this video by Woody Goss from Vulfpeck, who provides a good lesson on how to "pump" like Richard Tee, which perhaps is one of his trademarks relative to these other players.

Thanks for the suggestion Morrissey, I watched and loved Woody's video too. Vulfpeck is a real gem.

In words: Gospel style

Left hand 'rockin" octaves' a walking...

Right Hand 'church chords': for example 'fall into' the chord, lots of IV into I and so on...

This stuff is all a part of my tool kit and I practice transitioning in and out of it on any tune per Monty Alexander"s influence. It"s one of my essential 24 left hand styles that I cover and force myself to visit on any tune.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Here are the basic elements in a different situation:

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Dbl post

In words: Gospel style

Left hand 'rockin" octaves' a walking...

Right Hand 'church chords': for example 'fall into' the chord, lots of IV into I and so on...

This stuff is all a part of my tool kit and I practice transitioning in and out of it on any tune per Monty Alexander"s influence. It"s one of my essential 24 left hand styles that I cover and force myself to visit on any tune.

Yes, Gospel/Funk harmony and bouncy bass are definitely part of the appeal. I realized while transcribing the intro that the rhythmic arrangement is also a big part of why I dig it.

It's a fusion sound construct, playing style, harmonic mastery and melodic taste, if you must know. I'm sure Peter Erskine helped along getting a nice jazz fusion type of feel in the rhythm with these great players. Those are advanced subjects for advanced jazz players, which from the condescending tone you use you are not, so there's a difficulty to explain the music.

I don't get the Tee example except if I'd be an idiot copy cat with no sense of style or musical self respect, I mean you've got to be kidding me to call that rhythm and feel and pocket challenged example playing something like Tee.

T