Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!

Larryz

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY TO ALL OUR FORUMITES! Hope you're wearing the green so that all your pots of gold will get you those pedals, guitars and equipment you're dreaming of!

We could not celebrate our annual celebration last year due to Covid19. This year the family will get together for our annual BBQ'ed corn beef, cabbage, Irish Whisky, guitar, mandolin, violin, and a little fun!

Here's too ya and may the luck of the Irish be with all of you! :2thu::guinness::cheers:

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HSPD!

I"m wearing green, no question, but my pots aren"t gold...they"re cast iron. Cooking up dinner for Mom: potatoes, cabbage with bacon in it, and a beer-braised corned beef.

(And I"m packing up a homemade Reuben for Dad to take to work with him tomorrow.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I have a bit of Irish in me from the McGlones and the Mannings from Counties Cork and Sligo on my mothers side.

My mothers daddy was Italian which made her half and half and my pop came from Italy. So I am 25 percent Irish, and 75% Italian descended. So from a part Irishman, I wish y'all a belated happy St Patrick's day.

DBM, My Grandfather was Irish, so I figured my mother at 50% and me at 25% all my life. Then I took the DNA test and I came out at 35%. So I'm guessing my grandmother had some Irish in her as well! But it doesn't really matter as the Holiday celebration was started right here in the US, so we are all Irish for at least one day a year LOL! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

DBM, My Grandfather was Irish, so I figured my mother at 50% and me at 25% all my life. Then I took the DNA test and I came out at 35%. So I'm guessing my grandmother had some Irish in her as well! But it doesn't really matter as the Holiday celebration was started right here in the US, so we are all Irish for at least one day a year LOL! :2thu:

I have a cousin on my mom's side who is into ancestry dot com and looked up our ancestry, and through her I found many of my mothers Irish cousins and am friends with them on Facebook. I never knew any of them, and still have not met any of those in person. My father had relatives in Italy, and I met a few because of my cuz who looked that up and gave me hints. I an now friends on Facebook with one of my 3rd cousins on the fathers side in Australia (surprisingly a bricklayer) and in some in Italy.

I stayed home, nice and quiet.

My grandmother on my mom's side was born Mattie Radigan - guess what?

Her Irish parents come to America just in time to have her in Ohio. A few weeks delay and I would be eligible for Irish citizenship. If I had thought about it earlier, my Mom could have gotten it and then I am in the family.

Not sure I would move there but I've never been there and in some ways it probably isn't that different than Washington along the coast. Maybe better beer, probably worse food. Grandma overcooked everything, mostly she boiled the crap out of stuff. She'd cook beef until the center was gray and dry. Ugh...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Not sure I would move there but I've never been there and in some ways it probably isn't that different than Washington along the coast.

More or less constant drizzle is what makes Ireland & the Pacific Northwest so wonderfully green.

Maybe better beer,

For sure. (Whiskey too.) Interesting thing, though, is you can get a pint of Brown's Ale in a pub, then go a couple doors down the street to another pub & order a Brown's Ale, & it will taste different from the one you just had.

probably worse food.

Not really. One of the world's great vegetarian restaurants is in Cork, a place called Paradiso. Sublime food, ranked very high in Michelin.

Grandma overcooked everything, mostly she boiled the crap out of stuff. She'd cook beef until the center was gray and dry. Ugh...

Old school. They've figured out, along with the English, that making food tasty is worthwhile.

Scott Fraser

My Irish-ness is uncertain at best. I know of 5 ancestors who emigrated to the USA from the British Isles, but they were all sailors. And that"s about all we know about them. They could have been from any of those countries...or from somewhere else entirely.

Don"t care, though. I"m human gumbo as it is. I can claim DEFINITE ancestry from more countries, tribes and other ethnic subgroups than I have fingers & toes.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Had to jump in on the Irish cooking question.

My mother came over from Westport, County Mayo, as a very young woman, and landed in NYC. One of my great food memories is that she made Pot Roast so tender, you could barely touch it with a fork, and the meat would fall away. No, it wasn't simply boiled to death, it had rich, even subtle flavor.

While her greatest talent was with meats, stews, and roasts, my mother also learned how to make a very good NY-style tomato sauce (the all-day American version, not the quick & fresh Italian version) and great meatballs. I'd give anything to sit down and have dinner with her today.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Dang it, sounds like I got a grandma who just couldn't cook!!!!

I do like some Irish cheeses. I haven't had any Irish gourmet food that I can remember.

Try marinating your beef in Guiness.

As for the 'boiling to death', I suspect a lot of that originated in food safety. As in, trying to kill off lurking parasites and the like. Some people never got the memo that the food supply in the 19th century became MUCH safer. Like how one of my Mom"s cousins" wife- a farm girl- always cooked her chicken to dryness. I mean, would run from the table revolted if you served her moist, juicy chicken. Including SOUP.

Try marinating your beef in Guiness.

Here, here! Hear, hear! Yes, indeed! For sure! YUM!

"Guinness Sliders" are very popular in this household. Basically rows of unseparated flat of King's Hawaiian roll-heels laid in a baking pan; reduced seasoned Guinness glaze (garlic, cracked black pepper, brown sugar, mustard powder, Lea & Perrins, etc. etc.; onions if you're into that sort of thing [i'll pass!], and we may try rehydrated chipotle peppers next time) slathered on thin-sliced rare roast beef; sautéed sliced mushrooms; Swiss or cheddar cheese; and the unseparated flat of roll-crowns laid atop, baked in the oven till golden brown. (Seems Irish enough; close enough for me... ) Delicious! As is pretty much ANY beef blessed with Guinness to kiss your lips. Yum!

Guinness-Beef-Sliders-1-small.jpg

As for the 'boiling to death', I suspect a lot of that originated in food safety. As in, trying to kill off lurking parasites and the like. Some people never got the memo...

Mhm-Hmn...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _