Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Model Expansions Now Available for FANTOM Users

Model Expansions Now Available for FANTOM Users

Roland is releasing OS 2.1 and including the model expansions for Jupiter 8, Juno 106, SH-101 and JX8P from the Jupiter X in Fantom.

This is a pretty fantastic update.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my. Very nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Technology wise, is this basically more like a sample pack, or a more complete emulation?

I'm having trouble keeping up with the different recreations Roland has released over the years. The AIRA/Boutique ones were based on a technology called Analog Circuit Behaviour, and then when the ZEN-Core / Zenology tech came out they said this is much more lightweight and not using "real modeling".

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

No this is not a sample pack. These are the same full models that run on the Jupiter X hardware and Zenology now running in Fantom OS using a different touchscreen interface for each model.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The touchscreen interfaces and the colors of knobs underneath are unique for each model. So you really know what model you are in and the knobs are colored differently for differeny models.

It doesn't have the extent of 1:1 knob/slider mappings that the Jupiter X has, but the Jupiter X also uses one control surface to cover Jupiter 8, JX8P, Juno 106 and SH-101 and there is a bit of a learning curve there to operate each of them in a live mode.

Jupiter X still has the experience of a classic synth, arpeggiators and pretty cool way to build scenes and tweak-- and even though they are the same models, I feel like the effects on the Jupiter X give it a little more growl and presence in the implementation. They have very different workflows.

Fantom is a heck of a workstation, though. I am finishing an album this month almost entirely built between Fantom 8 and Logic Pro X and it's been a really enjoyable process.

I was considering a Jupiter X, but really this makes more sense now. I own a Jupiter 6, Fantom S, and V-Synth - and am comfortable programming on them all. I was disappointed with how much you have to rely on the Jupiter X's small screen to do stuff, but that's no problem with the new Fantom. It's dedicated osc, filter, and ADSR controls on the right remind me a bit of my V-Synth, so we're good there too. Great news! :thu:

It's the Zencore models used in Jupiter X and Zenology. I think the way to describe them is that they model the sound vs. modelling the circuit of ACB. I'm not sure what the technical details are. It does provide a lot more functionality in layering and polyphony.

if the behavior is identical to the Jupiter-X the polyphony should be:

Jupiter 8 - 29 voices

Juno 106 - 15 voices

JX-8P - 19 voices

SH-101 - 15 voices

With 3 instances of Jupiter-8 in layers you should have about 8 voices of polyphony; with 3 instances of Juno 106 or SH-101 in layer 5 voices

It's really high quality and sounds good. The audio in the flagship Fantom and Jupiter X hardware. No complaints.

So, if I use Zenology Pro in Roland Cloud on my Mac and RD-88, I already have these?

Or is there a sonic difference with Zenology Pro (or Ultimate)?

No, they don't operate on the RD88. They run in Zenology, Jupiter X/Xm and now Fantom.

I've gotten User Tones from my Fantom-7 to import and run as single Tones (and Scene components) in my RD-88. I've also imported these Tones and used them within Logic, as part of the Zenology Pro platform. So I'd think an expansion Tone in Zenology Pro could be exported and used in the RD-88. Individual Tones are all in the .svz format, and as far as I understand are all compatable between Zen-Core-based instruments. If the expansion Tones are somehow' blocked' from a direct export, maybe try saving the ones you want to import to the RD-88 as User Tones?

I've been able to export and import User Tones between the Fantom, Zenology Pro and the RD-88. If I somehow missed something here, let me know, guys. Seems it should work. If I have time later on today, I'll try exporting an expansion Tone from Zenology Pro to my RD.

UPDATE:

I discovered that there are apparently two different kinds of .svz Tones; one is Zen-Core specific, the other Model specific. So the JX-8P Model Tone edit I did in Zenology Pro will load into my Fantom-7 - provided I select 'Model' (vs. 'Z-Core') when importing; otherwise the Fantom will not recognize the new Tone as a choice. The RD-88's Import option has no such choice; it's default is Z-Core. So no modeled Tones created in Zenology or on compatible hardware will import into the RD-88 for now. I'm curious if Roland will offer that in an RD-88 OS update, or if that option might be in store for a future, stage-oriented spin-off of the Fantom. I'd almost bet we'll see that, plus other live enhancements (drawbar organ, etc.) in an FA series replacement. Never know though; could be pleasantly surprised.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Cheers, Allan. I"m still thinking of adding a Fantom 6 to my RD-88 and Zenology Pro.

Greetings, Fleer! I don't think you'd regret adding a Fantom to your rig. My Fantom 7 has one of the best feeling synth actions I've used; the Fantom 6 has the same action. I've already put several Fantom Z-Core Tone Edits in my RD-88, then used those as the basis for Scenes there. Much easier to edit on the Fantom. I did use the Fantom on a more synth-intensive band gig, up until the pandemic hit hard. Live, the Fantom's sound quality was extreme. Hopefully that gig will be picking back up toward this fall. But for last summer's country/Buffett tribute gigs (plus a wedding reception in the fall) I used the RD-88 for bottom-tier stage piano/synth backing duties. Lots of compliments from bandmates on the RD.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!