Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fave Distortion pedal for HB's?

I have a few of the ThorpyFX pedals. The demos don"t lie: they"re built like tanks, the controls have a wide variety of USEFUL settings, and- most importantly- they sound good.

They"re not for everyone. They"re obviously not cheap. While they"re usable for noobs & dilettantes (like me), those have the skills to wring the most out of their gear will enjoy them the most.

Sooooooo...I"d put them in the same category as some of the better BOO-TEEK names we all know, though. You"re going to get real value out of what you"re paying for.

I'm not questioning the value - those are clearly heavy-duty pedals made with quality components - it's the expense. If life gets back on track - one hesitates to say "back to normal" - I may have a good Spring of work and be able to indulge myself. If not, it's still something to keep in mind.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few of the ThorpyFX pedals. The demos don"t lie: they"re built like tanks, the controls have a wide variety of USEFUL settings, and- most importantly- they sound good.

They"re not for everyone. They"re obviously not cheap. While they"re usable for noobs & dilettantes (like me), those have the skills to wring the most out of their gear will enjoy them the most.

Sooooooo...I"d put them in the same category as some of the better BOO-TEEK names we all know, though. You"re going to get real value out of what you"re paying for.

On the one hand, I didn't quite care for the sound of the Thorpy Warthog in that demo video; on the other, I wouldn't be very surprised if I was able to dial-in tones that I liked better, myself, if I was able to try the pedal with my own guitar and amps and all.

I can't put my finger on what specifically I didn't like about it, it just didn't jump out at me and say "ME" the way some of the demo vids for the Keeley and Wampler stomps mentioned above did. It just didn't make me think I'd want it. Not doubting its quality, just not hearing a character that appeals to me. Obviously, "Your Mileage May Vary".

I have liked the tones of, say, the Thorpy Muffroom Cloud/Fallout Cloud, and if I were in need of a Big Muff Pi style stomp, I'd be strongly considering one...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Clearly!

I mean, if everyone had the same taste in tones, the gear market would be a LOT smaller.

Again, on the other hand, I wouldn't be very surprised if I was able to dial-in tones that I liked better, myself, if I was able to try the pedal with my own guitar and amps and all.

Also, I've noted that while I've become pretty good at ascertaining what I'd like and what I could make use of like that from such demo-videos, sometimes I will have written off a pedal or amp or the like based on multiple examples, and then run across one more demo-vid that changes my mind, where one particular demonstrator will manage to bring out tones and character that I do like from the same item, making me rethink my verdict. That was the case with that Plasma pedal and videos demonstrating it, for example. I didn't rush out and order one, but I'd be much more likely to at least try one if the opportunity came up- but before hearing that one demonstration, based on all the others, I wouldn't have bothered. It might be the same with this Thorpy Warthog. [Drags on candy cigarillo] Say la vee...

BUTT, I digress...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Clearly!

I mean, if everyone had the same taste in tones, the gear market would be a LOT smaller.

I have to wonder about all the sounds we might NOT have, if everyone had the same taste in tones?

One reason I love throwing these questions out to the Forum at large, I always get recommendations for pedals I would never have seen just looking around in my FLMS, or my nearest GC, and then I can start scanning Used Gear listings to see what I find.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I have tons of overdrive pedals, which is my preferred poison, and just a few distortion pedals, now that I think about it...

Komet K.O.D.A. pedal (Komet OverDrive Amplifier)... with all of the stages it can get saturated but maybe not rally high gain on its own

Fulltone O.C.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Distortion) - has a "High Gain" setting and can get gnarly. This pedal seemed ubiquitous at one point... probably used models to be found at a nice price...

those are the two that get used all of the time, and with my humbucker guitars...

I spent $27 on a Mosky Golden Horse, which is supposed to be a Klon Klone but has more overdrive/distortion in my opinion... the Mosky Silver Horse has a switch for a different voicing or something. for $27 it's well worth it and very usable IMO... as its own thing, I mean. I don't think it sounds like my Klon KTR.

Seymour Duncan Twin Tube - forgot I had this until I saw someone else mention it... cool pedal, also sounds good direct.

I have the remains of an 80s ProCo RAT pedal I managed to break about 20 years ago somewhere... that was a good pedal from overdrive to distortion to full out fuzz

@p90jr - Thanks for that thought. I hadn't considered the OCD, and you're right about used ones. You can't click on any link for used pedals and not find them.

Have not tried a RAT pedal in many, many years? Another reason I'm looking forward to spending time in a Music store again; I could easily audition a dozen different Dirt pedals in one sitting, instead of watching videos.