Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I don�t need coffee, I just need sleep and exercise

My favorite exercise of lap swimming is not available now. I have struggled to find a substitute exercise, with my plantar fascia pain in one heel. I have recently found a way to be able to do 4-mile walks every other day - I have a good pad in a high quality hiking boot, and am wearing multiple padded socks. Even better, I have found a road which goes through a townhouse/apartment complex, which is straight, has sidewalks on both sides of the street with grassy medians next to the sidewalks, and enough streetlights to make it safe to walk on the grass after sunset. And the road does not have much car traffic or people traffic, so I can stay away from other people, and can cross the street pretty much any time I want to. I can walk on grass for over 90% of my steps. I feel like I have solved a very difficult puzzle in finding this place.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plantar fasciatis SUCKS. I've had it a few times in my life, and looking back it was usually when I switched shoes and then played basketball. Shin splints also--the shoes make the difference.

One thing I was told by a doc (and if you've been dealing with it I'm sure this is no big revelation)--the early morning is a critical time. When you sleep, your foot straightens out, shortening the fascia. Then when you step out of bed, you force your foot into an L shape, which causes tears all over again. If you notice pain in the morning, that is probably why. You can get a brace to keep your foot in that L shape, I found it pretty hard to sleep with. What I did was VERY gently and gradually stretch it out before I set foot on the ground. It definitely helped me, eventually it went away completely. I had tried inserts, and even got a cortisone shot, which helped for literally a week if that.

I count my steps with an app on my phone, and my goal is get at least 10,000 a day but since the pandemic hit I average about 16,000. No gigs, and not having to drive my daughter to her school across town, and all over the state for her musical activities has given more time for my lite exercise which consist of walking, dancing, jumping on a small trampoline, jump rope, push ups, and barbells. The other silver lining of this pandemic has been more time to practice on my own, which I really love.

I have always tried to eat reasonably well, avoid red meat, fast food, and sweats. I don't drink coffee, soda or alcohol and don't smoke either. I try to be in bed by 10PM and up by 4;30AM to start a full day of teaching.