Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

News regarding the Behringer 2600

Damn Boomers and old farts driving the synth market.

How about something new instead of ripoffs of the same old stuff I have in storage already. ð

Ha! I played with a 2600 for about 3 months when I was in college, 1982-ish, I worked at an electronic music lab that the music school was setting up. One of the music professors owned a 2600, and I spent a term playing with it fairly extensively, unfortunately, the professor left his position after the first term I was there, and took the 2600. We got a grant to replace it with a Rev 3 Prophet 5, with the digital sequencer. Anyway, the 2600 is one of the synths I have always wanted to own ever since that period, and I have hopes the BARP 2600 is going to be close enough to scratch that itch.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the question remains: When will the Behringer 2600(s) be available?

Now they've gone and stacked two more versions on the original...and none of them are available, at least here in the US.

Note that the guy in Gov. Ag's post says he bought his with his own money. Given his accent, I'm thinking he's in Europe and that goes along with my impression that the 2600s are, or at least were, available even if only for a limited time.

I'm not clear about the differences between the gray, blue, and "regular" Behringer 2600s. I suppose I'll have to wait for some helpful soul to post a video on YouTube comparing all three so I can compare the sound. I have a vague recollection of reading up on this at one point and there being a difference in either the oscillators or filters or both, but what that means in terms of actual sounds that reach my ears, I do not know. I played with a keyboardist for a while back in the '70s who had a 2600 and grew to like the one he had, but it's been so long that I don't remember what version it was. He was the only keyboard player I ever knew who had one, so that was my only experience with a real 2600.

Though I love the idea of a 2600, I don't know that I will plunk down the cash to buy three separate versions of the same thing...not to mention having to find space for all three. (Which means I'll probably buy one version new, then pick up used copies of the other two later on...space be damned.)

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Here's an oddity: Sweetwater now says that the MSRP for the 2600 is $1048.50, up from $699, which in turn was up from $599.

Visualize me with a raised eyebrow.

So not only do we have the variable date thing to watch (Note: MusicTech said the 2600 was shipping ca. 11/6/20 and apparently some people got theirs), but the price is skyrocketing. Can we hit $2000? $3000? Are we waiting for Behringer to match Korg's reissue price?

Sweetwater, meanwhile, is touting how much their price is below MSRP.

Hmmm....

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.