Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Philip Springer, 94, playing "Santa Baby" (which he wrote)

This came across my feed today. Someone asked Philip Springer, who wrote "Santa Baby" in 1953, if he would record himself playing and singing it. Here is what the 94-year-old Springer sent back:

https://www.facebook.com/donald.romano.1/videos/10217629172818262

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it for so many reasons. I love the Chopin Etude open on the piano. I love his energy as he enthusiastically greets the camera at the beginning of the vid. And his playing is still hip and full of touch and so many delicious bits.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

There"s something about 94 year olds that mystifies me. Two years ago while doing my 10 week physical therapy after my triple bypass I met Henry. He was distinctive in many ways, mostly dress. Always wore jeans, a flannel shirt, a belt, and suspenders. His only concession to therapy was he was forced to buy a pair of sneakers so he wouldn"t mar the warmup/cool down track. His attitude blew me away. He always checked with his therapist as to the order of activities and if any counts increased, and followed instructions like a bulldog. He was a bit shaky when walking, so he was allowed to use a walker, which he proceeded to wear the wheels off. Being a mere lad of 67 I used to lap him when we shared the track, and I usually asked him how he was. 'Not bad for an old man' was his standard reply. On my last day I finally asked him his age: 92! Henry has been my inspiration ever since, but after watching this vid he now has company.

This proves the tag line about playing and aging - if you want it bad enough you can do it.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks. I enjoyed that. Shared on Facebook.

Long fingers. That's a piano player. In my next life I want to come back with fingers long enough to play a 12th.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

That's by far my favorite version of the song, so thanks for that!

[i'm so tired of female singers cooing this tune and guys going gaga over them. OTOH, this version was fun and may be truer to its original tongue-in-cheek intent.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Awesome. A great composition stands the test of time and sounds good on anything as long as it's well played. Mr. Philip Springer is too hip for the room. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"