Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aerophone Pro -Roland with some Fantom get demo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been much of an EWI fan except for Brecker, but when I saw Hailey Niswanger was playing I had to listen. Been a fan of Hailey for years and she's one hell of a sax player. Here she is at the Berklee Alumni reunion concert.

[video:youtube]

This announcement caught me off guard this morning. Wasn't sure I'd have the energy after a 13-hour work day to check it out, but here I am, and the demo impresses. I haven't really had a chance to see what justifies the doubling of price from the regular model, but a casual glance at the specs for the new Pro model looks like the main concerns I see on the Sax on the Web forum being addressed.

What will matter to me the most is whether it is finally on par with the Yamaha WX5 in terms of the sensors, mouthpiece, etc. The Akai models really aren't, and the 4000 is arguably their best sound-wise being that it has a good synthesis engine whereas the newer models and the latest 5000 flagship is all sample-based with SONiVOX material from the late 1990's. Yamaha's latest entry has a dumbed-down mouthpiece sensor so won't do.

Maybe Yamaha will also come out with a Pro model at Winter NAMM and/or maybe Akai will do a 6000 with the best features from their latest intermediate model. It's interesting how this market has suddenly hotted up.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have an Aerophone AE-10 and a new Akai EWI Solo. I have a WX and VL70m module. There's also the new Yamaha YDS-150. I just found out today about the Aerophone Pro AE-30. I've started a thread about the AE-30 on Sax On The Web. I'm a fan of these wind controllers, as well as a critic. The AE-10 has about 120 internal sounds, the Akai has 200, the AE-30 is supposed to have 300 sounds. All well and good, but the most important aspect of sounds is the quality. I like the sounds in the Akai. I need more info and video examples of the sounds of the AE-30. What I've heard of the sounds on the Yamaha YDS-150 makes me not interested in it.

The list price of $1500 for the AE-30 is a high barrier for me. Maybe a street price, after it's been on the market for a bit, might be more do-able. Availability is said to be this January.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I'll look for your thread on SOTW this weekend. I have a feeling it will be several pages long by then, as so many were disappointed by Yamaha's long-awaited YDS-150 and as the best video reviews show the Akai EWI Solo to have the best ergonomics and features but probably not as good of a sound as the 4000S (now hard to come by). The AE-10 seemed the one most likely to have a strong foundation for tweaking towards a more pro model, and here we are so we shall see! I didn't catch whether $1600 was "list price" or expected street price for the AE-30.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'll look for your thread on SOTW this weekend. I have a feeling it will be several pages long by then, as so many were disappointed by Yamaha's long-awaited YDS-150 and as the best video reviews show the Akai EWI Solo to have the best ergonomics and features but probably not as good of a sound as the 4000S (now hard to come by). The AE-10 seemed the one most likely to have a strong foundation for tweaking towards a more pro model, and here we are so we shall see! I didn't catch whether $1600 was "list price" or expected street price for the AE-30.

So far, only 1 other person and I are in the thread.

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/new-roland-aerophone-pro-ae-30.380621/#post-4241384

Edit: Turns out there are 2 threads about the AE-30

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/roland-ae-30-aerophone-pro-new-digital-wind-instrument.380615/#post-4241184

There's also a long thread about the Yamaha

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/new-yamaha-yds-150-digital-saxophone.377994/page-17#post-4241332

There are also other threads about the other Aerophone models.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have an Aerophone AE-10 and a new Akai EWI Solo. I have a WX and VL70m module. There's also the new Yamaha YDS-150. I just found out today about the Aerophone Pro AE-30. I've started a thread about the AE-30 on Sax On The Web. I'm a fan of these wind controllers, as well as a critic. The AE-10 has about 120 internal sounds, the Akai has 200, the AE-30 is supposed to have 300 sounds. All well and good, but the most important aspect of sounds is the quality. I like the sounds in the Akai. I need more info and video examples of the sounds of the AE-30. What I've heard of the sounds on the Yamaha YDS-150 makes me not interested in it.

The list price of $1500 for the AE-30 is a high barrier for me. Maybe a street price, after it's been on the market for a bit, might be more do-able. Availability is said to be this January.

I know nothing about these instruments so please excuse my ignorance, but it would seem to me that these would have Bluetooth MIDI, allowing you to trigger any source. No?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I know nothing about these instruments so please excuse my ignorance, but it would seem to me that these would have Bluetooth MIDI, allowing you to trigger any source. No?

Short answer: Yes. Depends on model â 5 pin midi, Bluetooth, USB midi. Looks like the new AE-30 has all. Still gathering info. Some people love the SWAM engine. For me, what I want is good usable internal sounds so I don't have to be connected to a computer or other device. I use a simple guitar wireless transmitter/receiver pair so I can play wirelessly and change sounds on the instrument. I want to play live without a cord connecting me to a laptop or module. That's where the fun is for me. For recording, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Then the MIDI sounds in the DAW or sound bank become important. Not for me. Also, whether the sounds are sensitive to breath control is important. So far, I prefer the sounds in the Akai EWI Solo. The videos of the AE-30 sounds don't really impress me yet. But if I hear more sounds, I might change my mind.

I have the AE-10 and am happy with it. You have to accept it for what it is to get real enjoyment out of it. I do like that it keeps me in practice with saxophone fingering. I cannot imagine someone using one of these professionally. For me it is a nice practice buddy that is not as loud as a real sax.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One thing about the AE-30 is that I think it is sold as a ZenCore instrument, meaning it would qualify for a year's free subscription to the Roland Cloud. Not sure if they'd tag that to an existing sub or give it an immediate start date that overlaps with one's current subscription. That's roughly $150 of value built-in, but even so, $1600 is a lot for a MIDI wind controller unless it is perfect in every way. I'll keep watching all the threads.

I have the AE-10 and am happy with it. You have to accept it for what it is to get real enjoyment out of it.
Agreed.
I do like that it keeps me in practice with saxophone fingering.
Yes, it's good for that.
I cannot imagine someone using one of these professionally.
I have played my AE-10 in the house band at a weekly jam that features some top pro players. I got some positive reactions from them. But I never worked up any material to play it with my main band or any of the other side projects. I've had the Akai EWI Solo since it came out, but there haven't been any gigs. I've had one gig recently but the next one is cancelled and probably the one after that. Also, we're losing our drummer at the end of the year so we have to start with a new drummer. Maybe I'll be able to work up some tunes with the EWI in the new year when we re-form the band and start rehearsing and hopefully booking gigs. I like the Drawbar Organ sound in the EWI, also the accordion, and some of the synth sounds.

$1600 is a lot for a MIDI wind controller unless it is perfect in every way.
I agree with that. The list price I've seen is $1500, but even that is too steep if, for instance, the sounds aren't that great. From the best video I've seen that demo-ed a number of sounds, I'm prepared to say that the sounds are not perfect in every way.:idk:

There's a video of a guy reviewing the Akai EWI Solo in which he keeps saying that the most important thing is how good are the sounds. I agree with that. The AE-10 has 120 sounds, the EWI Solo has 200 sounds, the AE-30 is supposed to have 300 sounds, the Yamaha YDS-150 has a lot fewer sounds -- I've forgotten how many, maybe 50 or so. But the number of sounds is less important than how good they are. The guy in the video says if he had a wind synth with only 10 sounds but they were all very good, that would be the wind synth to have. I've watched videos of all of these. I own an AE-10 and an EWI Solo. I like the sounds of the EWI best. I want to hear more of the AE-30 sounds, but the ones I've heard in videos so far don't strike me as better than the ones in the EWI. However, your preferences may be very different. All I can suggest is search for and watch as many videos as you can.

The EWI was $500 compared to the list price of $1500 for the AE-30. The EWI also uses contacts (keys that don't move, just touch) where the Aerophones and Yamaha have key switches that you have to press. Also, all but the EWI have a fingering system that has upper left hand palm keys like a sax. The EWI does not. It might be most easily adapted by a flute player who just goes up or down an octave, without muscle memory that expects to use those left hand palm keys. :)

Each person's needs are different of course. I exclusively use wind controllers in the studio vs. live, having been bitten too many times during the years I actually did use my WX5 at gigs. But I haven't used my WX5 in years, as I never liked the feel of its keys and the difficulty of selecting octaves without glitches. I brought it to North Carolina with me because it didn't take up any space in the car and wouldn't be a huge loss if stolen. Yet here I am considering an Aerophone Pro, the new Yamaha before its many flaws became exposed, or an EWI 4000s (elusive on the used market), for better ergonomics on the first two and possibly better sounds on the latter.

I was about to post the one above, as I saw it on the other forum today. Highly recommended tour of the controller; probably the best one at the moment and very useful towards decision-making. It's nice to get an honest relative assessment of the overall market as well, for full context.

https://www.jazz-sax.com/2020/12/roland-ae-30/

I'm now convinced this is the one to put on my list vs. a used EWI 4000S or holding out for a new Akai pro model. The only thing that might (but probably won't) upend that, is if Yamaha comes out with a new pro model at NAMM 2021. But based on the sound engines in the Roland, which are said by many to beat out the old Patchman VL-series enhanced sound banks (and sound better to my own ears as well), I think Roland likely now rules this market. Pretty impressive for a latecomer to wind synthesis!

Although not shipping until January 2021, and likely heavy with back-orders at Patchman Music, Roland have an incentive until 31 January where you get a free one-year subscription to the Roland Cloud. Hopefully this could also be tagged on to an existing subscription.

I'm now convinced this is the one to put on my list vs. a used EWI 4000S or holding out for a new Akai pro model.
My new Akai EWI Solo was $500 vs. $1500 for the AE-30. I dunno. They're different instruments for sure, but that's one helluva price difference. As I've said elsewhere, I'm a sucker for all these wind synths but I think I'll have to see a price drop before I'll pull the trigger on the AE-30.

Yeah, if I hadn't been so burnt by my experience with the EWI USB, I'd be more open to an Akai EWI 6000S Pro model that takes the best from EWI Solo and EWI 5000 and then goes one step further.

Question to my learn-ed friends.

I've always wanted to get into one of these being I would have loved to have learned sax but am restricted due to a health issue.

Question 1. As I have only 33% lung capacity and as example have extreme difficulty lugging my gear to gigs but ironically still have a damn strong voice. Albeit now more for balads and I try to avoid fast songs. Would I have a lot of dificulty playing any of these breathing wise but assuming there is a sort of breath "touch" sensitivity I could dial it to "easy". Do they have "easy blow " function? I'm thinking because my singing is still very strong an easy blow function might be workable. If not that sucks...hee hee

Question 2. How heavy are they to stand and hold being another factor that would be a possible difficulty for me due to my lungs. I no longer gig standing up but play keys seated no probs. Well before covid lockdown that is.

Basically is it worth me considering a foray into one at some time or do you need the lungs of a true horn player?

Any info is welcomed.

Short answer: Yes. With both the Aerophone and the Akai EWI Solo, you can adjust the breath sensitivity so you can play with almost no breath pressure. I'm mostly playing my EWI Solo lately, not my AE-10, and for fun I set the breath sensitivity very low so I just barely blow into it and I get sounds. But I know I can adjust the breath sensitivity on the Aerophone too. You could look at the various videos about the EWI and the AE-30 to see which one is more your thing.

Neither the EWI nor the Aerophone is heavy. The EWI is longer and feels heavier than my AE-10, but the AE-30 is longer and I think heavier than the AE-10 and I think is roughly as long and as heavy as the EWI. You can look up weight and length online for exact info. Regardless, you play any of these with an included neckstrap and none is very heavy so I don't think there's a problem standing and holding them.

My main comment would be that if you plan to gig one of these, either standing or sitting at a keyboard, you want to think in terms of which one is best for live playing. As much as I hate the $1500 price tag of the new AE-30, I'd probably recommend that as the gigging instrument. The Yamaha YDS-150 is out. It's not intended for live playing and I don't think it's very good for that purpose. My choice is difficult only because the EWI Solo has some nice sounds in its 200 sounds and I really like the rechargeable battery and the $500 price tag. But it's a different system of fingering, using contacts instead of keys and it takes some getting used to and is prone to note glitches. The AE-30 has midi and usb connections so it will be more adaptable to whatever connectivity you want to use. It also has Bluetooth. All of these instruments, even though they have internal speakers, will need to be connected to some amplification for live playing. I connect my Aerophone or my EWI wirelessly using a simple guitar transmitter-receiver pair and connect to my QSC K8. But think about how you want to amplify for live playing. You could go direct to PA or whatever sound system you use.

Thank you EL

I have started looking at videos since asking the question.

I've seen Roland has a entry level one called the GO but haven't looked at the video yet as I started on the very basic roland mini videos first just to see if entry level gear is a place I should start. But I'd want to end up gigging with which ever I choose. So I will continue to watch this thread and learn some more as it goes.

I am happy that breath resistance can be lowered. And weight wise they are low enough

Cheers

I've seen Roland has a entry level one called the GO but haven't looked at the video yet ...

Looks like Roland has an entry-entry model, the Aerophone-01 ($299USD). I tripped over it while Christmas shopping for me. :-)

I haven't given it a serious listen as yet. The fingering is roughly the same as recorder. Definitely a starter instrument. Can play additional sounds through its app (Bluetooth MIDI).

I have a WX-11 that hasn't gotten much love lately, but I do like the all-in-one aspect of the Aerophone. The WX-11 needs a module and maybe an amp.

Joy for the holidays -- pj

A worthwhile demo:

I've seen Roland has a entry level one called the GO but haven't looked at the video yet ...

Looks like Roland has an entry-entry model, the Aerophone-01 ($299USD). I tripped over it while Christmas shopping for me. :-)

I haven't given it a serious listen as yet. The fingering is roughly the same as recorder. Definitely a starter instrument. Can play additional sounds through its app (Bluetooth MIDI).

Thanks for that yep it's the first one I looked at after viewing this thread. It interests me as a starter but its limited in sounds and I hate how Roland has is now relying on apps as part of their selling regime. But I like what they have done but for the app.

I like it's simplicity for a beginner but limited sounds may loose my interest real quick plus I was imagining being able to midi a wind instrument to my extisting midi modules without using USB or bluetongue.

But having said that it's definitely appealing for a beginner like me. Low cost but the irony of buying one you grow out of is they must be a very hard to sell second hand especially now covid is the new leprosy.

I'd be interested in one of these as a starter instrument but then couldn't afford to upgrade if a used beginners one is unsaleable .

The next model up the "go" peaked my interest but looks harder to play for a beginner again it has limited sounds they try to make up for by supplying the bloody app. Roland i don't care about your app in any of your products. My wife was looking at a roland piano and it's selling point is it's app. Sales lady was miffed I showed no interest in it..I had already checked what it did online and what a waste of space. Instead I gave my wife my Oberheim MC2000EX keyboard and she loves it. Roland stop concentrating on relying on your app to glorify your products (off topic app rant over)

Otherwise this beginners blow pipe is cute as a button and tempting

To each his own, but as an owner and player of the Casio DH-100 (the original digital horn), WX + VL70m module, Roland Aerophone AE-10, and Akai EWI Solo, I suggest saving all your Christmas money or Hannukah gelt and waiting for the AE-30 in late January or sometime in February.

The AE-30 has midi, BTW.

I really like the idea of the Aerophone Pro, but apart from the crazy price tag (2-3 times the competitors? For a piece of plastic?), what I REALLY don't understand is...why so huge?!?!?

The AE-10 already looked goofy and cumbersome, this is humongous! I read some criticism that the AE-10 was already quite big and wide and not very suitable for small hands...this is even bigger! I don't undestand the reason to make something unnecessarily bigger and less practixal than needed, surely most of the AE-30 will be only an empty plastic shell.

For me the ideal form factor for a digital sax would be the AE-05, if only it wasn't so dumbed down...

I agree. I don't know why it's so long. My Akai EWI Solo is also too long. The only thing I can think of to justify its length is the rechargeable battery inside. It also has a speaker at the end. But still ...

The EWI Solo comes without a case so I searched the internet for a long time until a found a soft rifle case that just barely fits it, for $16. But if it was just a couple inches shorter, it would be more convenient to play as well as much easier to find a case for and to transport.