Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bleaching your teeth

I know... I know... British people have bad teeth...

http://www.billybobteeth.com/webcard/rooney1.jpg

Was just wondering if anyone had tried the home bleaching kits that you can buy? What sort of results you have gotten from them?

Seems that you can get boil-n-bite gum shield style trays and the whitening agent (carbamide or peroxide) of different strengths which are a lot cheaper than what your dentist would charge you.

Downside is that the home made trays don't fit as well as trays made by the dentist who presumably takes an exact print of your teeth to make them up.

Also there are supposed to be side effects - sensitive teeth, gums being affected, swallowing the bleach, horror stories about people with transparent teeth.

Dentist is going to charge £150 for each arch which is £300 (about $550).

DIY home kits are a lot less than that....

I've also seen what looks like laser whitening - I think the UV helps bleach them quicker?

I'm just looking for Ross' glow in the dark smile :D

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that on a web site somewhere...I don't believe the trasnparent thing myself.

I think if I was a dentist I'd be trying to put people off doing something that would rob me of business...

Basically the gist was "If you bleach for too long you can make your teeth transparent and there is no way to recover from that".

Sounds a bit extreme and unlikely to happen though.

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

I've tried various types of whiteners including the expensive dentist types, and the amount of whitening is negligible and totally NOT worth it. However, when vanity kicks in, we just have to try these things and then try to convince ourselves that "Yes they do look a little whiter, don't they?"

But they don't. Anyway, that's my take, though I'm sure we'll hear from someone saying that these things work great! :freak:

Vanity is a beast.

Let's not forget another side effect...If you overdo it, your "too-white" teeth will give people the impression that you're a shallow phony, or a TV news anchorette...but I repeat myself...
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Being a shallow phoney is what I strive for :D

I think I broke a nail on this keyboard... ;)

Teeth whiteness is a valid concern. It may be vanity, but most anyone here will react negatively to someone with less-than-white teeth (don't deny it. You will). So, it isn't just a vanity issue.

I have heard that veneers have worked pretty well. They are porcelain, I think.

Well I paid $120 for a teeth cleaning awhile ago. My teeth weren't butter yellow or brown or grey or anything (I don't smoke or use drugs) but it'd been awhile and noticed I could still use a cleaning anyway.

I asked a friend if he saw a difference and he said I got ripped. I don't know, I looked and noticed maybe they weren't platinum white like I'd expected. But this wasn't a whitening session, it was a cleaning session. So I believe they do the 2 seperately usually...

I was also happy to be informed I had NO MORE than 2 cavities :D

FnB, I tried both White Brilliance and the Crest white strips. Both work. Don't expect your teeth to glow in the dark. Just have reasonable expectations. I like the gel (wht brilliance) better than the strips, but my wife can't stand the gel, so she prefers the other. I have sensitive teeth to cold and I did not notice any change when using the whiteners. On a side note, I had been using sensidyne tooth paste because of my sesitive nature :rolleyes: and it really wasn't helping. My dentist (I don't really own one) said to switch to colgate and voila - no teeth pain when I eat icecream! Now I eat too much ice cream.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived