Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nicholas Payton My F'ing Hero!

Nicholas Payton is probably more famous for his trumpet playing. I have many of his albums. A year or so ago, I saw video of his band and he also was playing Rhodes and Clavinet, and trumpet (sometimes at the same time.)

Well, he was live last night on Sculler's jazz club Facebook live feed. Here's the link: Scullers jazz club facebook livefeed - Nicholas Payton

I love everything going on here! OMG that Rhodes sound!

:allhail:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen pictures or at Smalls jam sessions and Nicholas playing upright bass and drums too, he does it all with an amazing feel.

I remember one night at Smalls jam there must of been some trumpet show in NYC because a lot of big name and new on scene trumpet players all showed up at the Small's jam. They were all hanging about the stage taking turns and every now and then this trumpet player dress in all black would walk up and play with amazing tone, intonation, and feel then just walk away back to the bar. I didn't know who it was but when he stepped up to play he owned that stage. Later discovered that was Nicholas Payton I was already a fan but had never seen him before what a great musician.

I remember one night at Smalls jam there must of been some trumpet show in NYC because a lot of big name and new on scene trumpet players all showed up at the Small's jam.

Could have been during the Festival of New Trumpet Music?

I don"t really care for Nicholas Payton the keyboard player, but a really underrated and my fav NP trumpet album that"s NOT on any streaming services is 'Nick @ Night' from 1999 (Verve).

Classic quintet post-bop with great melodic tunes, as well as a cool cover of Ramsey Lewis" 'Sun Goddess' - where Payton actually plays the celeste, funnily enough.

https://www.discogs.com/Nicholas-Payton-NickNight/master/612707

Video not available to me for some reason. Nicholas Payton is a BAMF tho.

Here's another link of facebook video. NICHOLAS PAYTON SCULLERS JAZZ CLUB LIVE FEED

I don"t really care for Nicholas Payton the keyboard player,

From a standpoint of Chick, Herbie, Brad, Keith, etc. yeah, NP is not killing it, but I dig hearing his ideas and phrasing from his trumpet mind.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251