Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What goes around comes around

I happened to be at the mall today. I'm never at the mall, but today I was. Don't ask why. Anyway, I passed by Journeys, the hep shoe store. I could have been in middle school again. Do you know what was displayed right at the entrance of the store, facing the mall, in the most prime display space in the store? Various colors of three models of shoes:

Adidas shell-toes.

Converse All-Stars.

Roos.

Did you hear me? I said Roos, man!!

This could have been the same display from the day in 1986 I walked in to a Journeys to purchase my first pair of flip-top All Stars. I had to stop to point this out to two thirteen? fourteen?-year-old girls who were checking out the shell toes. They kinda blinked and said, "Are you serious?" I said, "Yep, right down to the fat laces." They had damn fat laces in 'em, y'all!

So the latest, hippest kicks for your feet are the same shit we wore back when Reagan was president, listening to Duran Duran on cassette on our Walkmans and lusting after Martha Quinn on MTV in the afternoons. Oh well, at least they still cost the same. You know you can still get a pair of Adidas Stan Smiths? I want some to wear with my yellow oxford shirt and 501 straight leg buttonflys. That would be rad.

Just keep telling yourself, kids: No one has ever looked as cool as I look right now, nor will anyone ever again. Then watch as the next generation pimps the same shit you took off years ago like it's 'new'. It'll make for a good laugh in twenty years. :D

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeebus:

Fashion trends are cyclic. What was once old will become new again, or something...

I was thinking about this the other day, and kinda wondered where it was heading. The cycles seem to be getting shorter. At some point, there won't be any true, nostalgic "retro" left, because everything will be a commercialized kind of "retro" exploit, and none of it will be fun anymore (which was the point in the first place...nostalgic fun.)

People will have to start coming up with new ideas again, which might make their brains explode (both might be welcome events.) I'm looking forward to it.

I like a little nostalgia here and there, but when every movie, guitar amp, motorcycle, and clothing trend is simply a re-hash of a past idea, the point is lost, and it gets boring. Individuality is compromised.

Blah blah blah I think too much and need to cut down on my caffeine.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Originally posted by Outrider:

The cycles seem to be getting shorter. At some point, there won't be any true, nostalgic "retro" left, because everything will be a commercialized kind of "retro" exploit, and none of it will be fun anymore (which was the point in the first place...nostalgic fun.)

People will have to start coming up with new ideas again, which might make their brains explode (both might be welcome events.) I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime, "I Love The 90s" starts soon on VH1... :rolleyes:

Hell, it got so bad a couple of years ago that kids resorted to putting on zoot suits and flapper dresses and going swing dancing.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Fashion trends are indeed cyclic, but we're dealing with somethng much more aberrational and disturbing than simple recurrence: we're in the thrall of a particular generation that won't let go of hip, a generation of shrivelling, corporate Peter Pans that have literally institutionalized their own vision and varieties of cool.

...or maybe not. The best observations on the commodification of cool can be found in the pages of The Baffler , an awesomely funny and acerbic cultural commentary journal edited by the author (and big indie rock fan) Thomas Frank. You'll never look at fetishized footware the same again.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Oh, Super, you went and did it now. It's the Gen X version of the age old question, and it has known many forms. Scarlett or Melanie? Betty or Veronica? Betty or Wilma? Ginger or Maryann? Jennifer or Bailey?

And now, I give you:

Martha, or Nina? The good girl, or the bad girl? Oh boy, this could take awhile.

Hmmmmm...

I'd take Martha... greeting me at the door wearing nothing but checkerboard Vans and a rising sun headband. :love::love::love::love:

Les Paul

Archived