Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soft cases with Wheels

I have gigged off and on for almost 50 years. Never had a keyboard case with wheels. Do those really work?

A long keyboard would have the load angle leveraged against you with the handle on the very end.

Do you push it or drag it around?

Do those little wheels do anything on grass, or are you now just dragging the thing on the ground?

You guys that have used the wheels, is it really worth it or just get in the way of picking up a 40 pound bag and walking off??

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At my age, anything with wheels is a nice addition, but if you're really worried about maneuvering on grass, pay the money and get one of these, they're solid gold.

Rock N Roller Cart

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hi, yes. I only pick soft cases (well firm cases) with wheels for my 88k instruments.

I drag by handle, or push by handle.

Rough floors like cobblestone or rocky, no not great, the wheels are small

Excellent on smooth surfaces like a hotel lobby.

Still have to pick it up sometimes for stairs.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Rock and Roller cart. Came close to buying one about 10 years ago. Another thing to load and unload, lol

The memories of tearing down gear, loading, driving to the gig, dragging it all to the stage, helping carry the PA and lights, setting it all up, tearing it all down, loading it all up, driving home in the middle of the night, dragging it in, setting it back up.

Maybe I should learn to play the harmonica!!

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

The Nord 88 soft case is a fine bit of kit. There's a handle a bit above centerline which makes it very easy to lean it vertically against your upper shoulder and pull it along almost effortlessly. The wheels aren't large, so it doesn't work so well with gravel, etc.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I have gigged off and on for almost 50 years. Never had a keyboard case with wheels. Do those really work?

Yes.

Do you push it or drag it around?

Both. Dragging good for a long straight walk. Pushing good for downhill (it drags you) or negotiating tight corners.

Do those little wheels do anything on grass, or are you now just dragging the thing on the ground?

Depends on type of grass, how it"s mown and the size of the wheels. I generally carry over grass.

You guys that have used the wheels, is it really worth it or just get in the way of picking up a 40 pound bag and walking off??

It"s worth it. The wheels on my keys cases don"t get in the way of anything. I have the option to carry if I want to.

I had a soft bag with wheels but it took two hands to maneuver it. IMO, the wheels were to close. My suggestion would be something like this RuXXac cart (I actually have an old model that still is great. Just make sure to get a long bottom. I can get all gear on this with bungee cords. Granted my amps are small but the cart is light and can be wheeled with one hand.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've used soft, wheeled cases for pretty heavy boards - an SKB for a CX-3 and the Nord case for a C1. They were both well made and very manageable for these boards... which I couldn't have maneuvered easily otherwise. (Back issues) Great on pavement but not much good on grass, gravel or cobblestone. Those boards are gone now.

Now I use hard, wheeled SKB cases for 61, 73 and 76 keyboards, and really prefer them for the additional level of protection they offer over their soft counterparts. And their weight isn't too bad.

Hope that helps...