Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz - Dissecting Bill Evans when you got the time.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Everybody Digs...' is one of my all time favs. The interesting thing about analyzing Evans is that he"s that bridge between the older bebop where guys were soloing thinking in terms of chords, and the 'new' (i.e. 50"s-60"s) modal way of thinking. This analysis here on this particular passage makes me think the mind was still thinking in terms of chords.

I always had trouble in jazz school analyzing bop tunes (i.e. Parker, Rollins) in terms of chord-scale theory...obviously on a deliberately modal tune (So What, etc.) then I dug, but on an older bebop tune, I still preferred to think that these guys were just thinking about chords and establishing tonality with their lines, not 'chord-scales.' Just my opinion, YMMV. The beauty of theory is that there is no 'wrong' way to look at a piece of music..