Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dull Bosendorfer Imperial sound CP73/88

Hi there!

Since December 2019 I'm using the Yamaha CP73 on stage. I love this instrument a lot. But the sound of the Bosendorfer Imperial is too dull and not realistic at all. Especially in the area of the G4-keys. It's like a totally different sample near the G.

I'm using the Yamaha HS8 speakers. Excellent speakers for home use, I've also my Kawai connect to the same speakers. I've tried everything, change some speaker settings, change the EQ settings on the CP73, connect the CP73 to a different PA....the sound remains very dull.

Does anybody experience the same issues with the Bosendorfer on the CP? Everthing else sounds perfectly fine.

Thanks for any reply!

Robin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin I have the CP88. I know what you are saying. I don't usually use that preset. It's kind of dark and doesn't come out front of house that well. I worked it out with my soundman so I could compare that and the other stock pianos.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Hi there!

Since December 2019 I'm using the Yamaha CP73 on stage. I love this instrument a lot. But the sound of the Bosendorfer Imperial is too dull and not realistic at all. Especially in the area of the G4-keys. It's like a totally different sample near the G.

I'm using the Yamaha HS8 speakers. Excellent speakers for home use, I've also my Kawai connect to the same speakers. I've tried everything, change some speaker settings, change the EQ settings on the CP73, connect the CP73 to a different PA....the sound remains very dull.

Does anybody experience the same issues with the Bosendorfer on the CP? Everthing else sounds perfectly fine.

Thanks for any reply!

Robin

People tend to pick a Bosendorfer for classical music. And they have the instrument voiced for a darker tone that works great for solo piano. In fact, owners of acoustic instruments spend a lot of time and effort with their piano tech to get the really harsh bite out of a piano.

Now keep in mind the CP88/73 have a master EQ all the way on the right. And you can brighten up, sweep the mid for cut or boost and bring in or pull out the boom boom. I think a lot of people don't realize how important the sweepable mid boost is for cutting in a band situation. So if you find the treble boost isn't giving you "cut" - look elsewhere in the piano offerings. For playing with the band you"re going to probably go with the Yamaha selections.

What are you using for an amp to monitor yourself?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yet it sounds great on the MODX

Our very own EscapeRocks has mentioned this, as well. IIRC, it's one of his go-to pianos when using the MODX live in his Journey tribute band. I'm wondering what the difference is between the Bosendorpher in the MODX versus the CP?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yet it sounds great on the MODX

Our very own EscapeRocks has mentioned this, as well. IIRC, it's one of his go-to pianos when using the MODX live in his Journey tribute band. I'm wondering what the difference is between the Bosendorpher in the MODX versus the CP?

Yes, I do use the Bosendorfer in my MODX as the go to. I specifically use the "Imperial Pop/Rock", and then the default Imperial Grand for ballads.

I am not familiar at all with the architecture of the CP pianos, but I am sure one huge difference in user accessibility is the fact that the MODX is a synthesizer that lets you deep edit.

On the MODX/Montage, they spent a ton of time in the elements to dial in the various settings. I can have anything from a pure cutting piano, to a very subdued dark grand.

I took the Imperial Pop/Rock patch, and also spent a lot of time dialing in eq, and other subtle effects. Some of those effects are controlled by the Superknob, and allow me to simulate an open or closed lid.

The basic Bosendorfer Imperial Grand patch on the MODX/Montage does have that darker sound mentioned at the start of this thread.

Here is an older video of someone demo'ing the Bosendorfer. As he goes thru them, you can see him manipulate the controls (and these are all factory setups). It comes with 16 Programs ready to go.

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: