Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's assume there are no more concerts...

GRollins

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's based on the capacity of the venue, not # of tickets sold.

Just saw this in the NY Times:

"Under the new 'density reduction guidelines,' events with more than 500 people would be commanded to cancel or postpone. Spaces with occupancies of less than 500 would be required to cut those attendance levels by 50 percent."

I heard Governor Cuomo explain on the radio that larger venus could indeed operate, as long as they stayed within the guidelines. I won't swear to the details, but it was something like, based on the part you quoted, yes, a venue with 500 seats could sell 250 tickets, but if a venue with 1000 seats wanted to limit themselves to selling only 250 tickets, that would be acceptable as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't gey why, If NYC says no gatherings of 250 or more, why didn't all the Broadway theaters just only sell 249 tickets for each show? Where is the creative thinking?

Yes, the producers take a loss if they mount the production but can only sell 249 tickets to it. (That's less than half-capacity for even the smallest Broadway theater.) They determined it was cheaper to remain dark until they could bring more people in.

Another complication: Relatively few broadway tickets are sold same-day. Hamilton is sold out for god knows how many months in advance, over 1300 seats per performance. How would they determine whose 249 tickets to accept? But yes, also, they would be performing at a loss. Shutting down cuts some costs, and they probably have some kind of insurance to cover the rest. And really, it is probably for the greater good that they shut down rather than allow even 249 people in, even if they could somehow manage those logistics. Heck, if I were one of the actors or musicians in the pit, I think I'd want to stay home myself.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...so, as I was saying...

The way I see it, you're going to need an immersive experience to make any headway. Lacking Asimov's "whole other end of the room" holo-technology, the best approximation would be large--or multiple--computer screens. Possibly curved ones. Or fair-sized TVs.

Where do you find an installed hardware base like that?

Gamers.

And they also sometimes have good sound systems, including subwoofers, which would add to the experience.

In addition, they're also frequently people who tend to isolate themselves anyway, so the loner thing isn't a bummer for them the way it is for a lot of non-gamer folks. They're already used to sitting in a chair, staring at their system for hours on end. Now, all we have to do is wean them off of their games for at least part of the day so they can concentrate on music.

No, I'm not a gamer. I'm just trying to reason my way through this.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Relevant interview with David Crosby. In the age of streaming, acts don't make money from releasing new music anymore, they make money from the tours. If they can't tour, they make nothing. His shows are being cancelled, and he's at risk of losing his house as a result.

https://www.gq.com/story/david-crosby-coronavirus-touring-interview

Morals for musicians...

1. you need multiple streams of income.

2. if you make it big, don't blow all your money on drugs.

Without starting another topic I hope this sub-topic is OK here. I'm curious about the music equipment manufacturers and what they're doing (temporary shut downs? telecommuting? business as usual etc). If anyone knows specifics please post.

To some degree it will depend on the size of the company. Some of the Eurorack companies are pretty small, whereas Yamaha is huge. If it's a one or two guy operation, I imagine it would be easier to keep going--they're isolated anyway. Bigger companies might shut down.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Well, if you want specifics, I'm open for business!

Which means that I've been writing and such...nothing to do with building electronics, although I was working on a circuit back during December. Which reminds me...need to get back on that.

Grey

Without starting another topic I hope this sub-topic is OK here. I'm curious about the music equipment manufacturers and what they're doing (temporary shut downs? telecommuting? business as usual etc). If anyone knows specifics please post.
No specifics, but ideas (probably not new) - - start the online version of gear, i.e. the Netflix of keyboards?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Relevant interview with David Crosby. In the age of streaming, acts don't make money from releasing new music anymore, they make money from the tours. If they can't tour, they make nothing. His shows are being cancelled, and he's at risk of losing his house as a result.

https://www.gq.com/story/david-crosby-coronavirus-touring-interview

Morals for musicians...

2. if you make it big, don't blow all your money on drugs.

After learning about my friend's 21-year-old high school dropout son, who just bought an 800K house with money he has from his million+ subscription youtube channel (he does Mindcraft videos, what a world!)....do the artists end up making any money from their tunes being on youtube? I would think they do, if they own the rights to the songs (?) Problem for Crosby would probably be that not all that many people would be watching his stuff anymore. He needs to get a song into the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie so the youngsters will hear it again! :D

Just received an email from Lachy Doley advising that all his Australian gigs and Canadian tour have been cancelled or postponed. Just another muso facing tough times ahead. He is encouraging folk to join his supporters group which costs $1 a month and gives access to his entire catalogue plus updates and live streams, maybe from the studio in this era of social separation.

Also Lachy is encouraging anyone who likes any working muso to buy some of their merch and stream them as often as possible on Spotify or Apple music.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Yeah, but for most of the musicians that I know, the multiple streams of income means gigs, teaching, studio work, and possibly other stuff, all of which are generally out right now. *Maybe* teaching can be done depending on the teacher and the student, the tech-savvy of both, attentiveness (will a little kid taking lessons pay attention long enough?), etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI