Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

***KORG TRITON LE vs. YAMAHA MOTIF 6***

***KORG TRITON LE vs. YAMAHA MOTIF 6***

I'm doing r & b and hip hop music I'm thinking about investing my money on a keyboard and i need y'all opinion...

i went to guitar center today and i felt like the motif had the more authentic sounds as far as bass, drums, and piano. but the triton le had a wider variety.

they also vary in price. the yamaha is around 1500 and the triton le is around 1000 (both 61 keys)

to all the keyboard and production guru's on the board i would like to hear y'all opinions.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rensonic:

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Welcome to the forums!

Triton is sort of a "standard" in that kinda music, ain't it? :confused:
that's what i'm hearing, but i've heard from Dr. Dre and other producers that the yamaha knocks the triton out of the water.

but because of the 500 bucks extra i would be paying for the motif...i would like to know if the triton le would suffice or should i just wait until i get the money for the yamaha motif

Don't worry about what Dre or anyone else says. Try both workstations, and decide which one is better for you based on sound/features/flexibility/ease of use.

If you opt for the Triton, see if you can get a used Triton classic as opposed to the LE. It's worth it.

if longevity of use is an issue at all i understand the tritons to be more expandable/flexible in terms of upgrade - but i know little, and certainly nothing of the LE or the yamahas for that matter.

i know the triton studio series/workstations are what i see most outfits using on stage and that there is considerable expansion possiblities with them, but i don't know if the yamahas compare.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

Originally posted by schmee:

if longevity of use is an issue at all i understand the tritons to be more expandable/flexible in terms of upgrade - but i know little, and certainly nothing of the LE or the yamahas for that matter.

I think the Yamaha is actually more flexible in terms of upgrade - I believe they have more expansion capabilites. There are more Yamaha expansion boards available than Korg boards which allow you to not only choose from/add a larger assortment of synth engines, but I'm pretty sure that the maximum potential polyphony on the older MOTIF is higher than the Triton LE. I'm not even sure if the LE can take any expansion other than the sampling option...

Of course I could be wrong - I have a newer MOTIF ES and am not up on the fine points of the older MOTIF, and I'm not an expert on the Triton LE either...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

It really does boil down to your personal preference. I have the Triton LE and I love it. I work on a wide variety of music, including R&B and Hip Hop, and the Triton's soundset works great alone, or in conjunction with EMU and Roland sound modules (plus the MPC and SampleTank). The Motif has a great soundset. For me, it's not a central piece, but that's just my own taste (I prefer Roland sounds over those two).

The LE is not "expandable" in the sense the others are, but with 64MB of sample RAM and the SM card slot, plus pretty useful and easy editing options, you can easily add your own sounds (which is what I've done). It's also VERY easy to use.

The MOTIF is a beast. I'm not too thrilled with it's UI, but once you're in, you'll have a world of options at your finger tips.

With either machine, you can be happy and make great sounding tracks for years to come.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Yaeah...Triton had it's day,

so did the DX7, the D 50, The M-1, T-3, and so on.

Motiff is the ish' these days.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Disagree. The Triton still offers a lot of flexibility and programming options. The combis are unlike anything available on the Motif. The Motif ES is a big improvement, but the original Motif sounds very "samey" to me.

Greetings. I'm new on this board....but a stalwart at the Low down Bassists forum. I play some keyboard and funny enough. I'm having the same dilemma. I find the Yamaha's more user friendly, however, Korg has the new Triton Extreme (all blue) which funny enough, is cheaper than the old Tritons!

If you are a songwriter, both keyboards have sequencers. The Yamaha XG sounds are superb.

An original Motif and "classic" Triton would be a fairer comparison. The Triton LE's niche (entry-level workstation) isn't really duplicated on the Yamaha side in terms of price point and features. That's part of why the Motif is $500 more.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

An original Motif and "classic" Triton would be a fairer comparison. The Triton LE's niche (entry-level workstation) isn't really duplicated on the Yamaha side in terms of price point and features. That's part of why the Motif is $500 more.

that's just part of my problem...the sooner i get a board the sooner i can start on my project. so i was saying should i just get a thou in my pocket and get the triton le, or would it be worth the wait to get an extra 500 and get the motif...basically i'm asking is waiting on the motif worth holding up my recording process

It depends on if you like the Motif THAT much, really, and if it has the sound you're looking for. Or if you like the Triton/LE that much. If you like both equally, then literally just toss a coin. To me, getting work done is better than waiting for a piece of gear.

Peace

Originally posted by Stone Sleezy:

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

that's just part of my problem...the sooner i get a board the sooner i can start on my project. so i was saying should i just get a thou in my pocket and get the triton le, or would it be worth the wait to get an extra 500 and get the motif...basically i'm asking is waiting on the motif worth holding up my recording process
It sounds to me like you should hold out. I usually end up regretting being impatient. It sounds to me like you liked the Motif better.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Originally posted by blackfish:

Go Motif!

The Korg is cool but, like it said above, it had its day. Nottz/Dre/Kanye are using the Motif, that means the hottest tracks on the radio are made with that gear.

Nottz/Dre/Kanye can make "hot" tracks with the Triton as well. Try them both and choose based on your own conclusions.

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Originally posted by blackfish:

Go Motif!

The Korg is cool but, like it said above, it had its day. Nottz/Dre/Kanye are using the Motif, that means the hottest tracks on the radio are made with that gear.

Nottz/Dre/Kanye can make "hot" tracks with the Triton as well. Try them both and choose based on your own conclusions.
exactly, i've pretty much made up my mind. but i still want to feel the motif out. i'll go back to guitar center tomorrow, i have a big check list of sounds that i absolutely cannot do without. thanks guys

The vast majority of Kanye's tracks are done with the ASR-10. Scott Storch is known for working the Triton. The Neptunes are known 01W fanatics. It just doesn't matter what the "hits" on the radio were done with, it matters what you can do with what you have.

Peace

Originally posted by aliengroover:

The vast majority of Kanye's tracks are done with the ASR-10. Scott Storch is known for working the Triton. The Neptunes are known 01W fanatics. It just doesn't matter what the "hits" on the radio were done with, it matters what you can do with what you have.

Peace

another great point. I'm really just looking for a keyboard than can keep up with my imagination. I already have a mpc 2000xl with all the expansion possible so after i get the motif i'll be on my way. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Archived