Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Osmose keyboard

15 hours ago, uhoh7 said:

PS My daughter comes home each summer from Brooklyn, and today I had her fiddling with the Osmose. She was having a grand time wiggling keys and comparing presets. After a few minutes I directed her attention to the variation of attack and the aftertouch. "Whoa!" 

Younger players may be the quickest to embrace new approaches to playing.

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

This one is priceless:

What Starsky did not figure out: there is a "cookbook" with many answers, for free on the Osmose Facebook group. It gets updated frequently. Version 1.7 now I think. 

Think of a cup half full circa 6000BCE.... "what? you are so poor?" "Taste it." "Ohhhhhh..........." The birth of wine. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 4 weeks later...

The real Osmose manual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15qAz6zMF_Go_6rUjbOdqEYKZVeeU6uhP/view?usp=sharing

The link changes with updates, which are frequent. Check Osmose Facebook group for latest from the indefatigable Richard Kram, godsend to Osmose plebs such as myself. 

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

38 minutes ago, uhoh7 said:

The real Osmose manual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15qAz6zMF_Go_6rUjbOdqEYKZVeeU6uhP/view?usp=sharing

The link changes with updates, which are frequent. Check Osmose Facebook group for latest from the indefatigable Richard Kram, godsend to Osmose plebs such as myself. 

Wow, Mr. Kram is still hard at work.  Now his book is at 1.14!

He was on 1.09 when I posted his book to this thread back in June.

• Like 1

Part of me feels as if I could never master this thing and the other feels like its the instrument of my dreams. Its appeared a bit late for me, sadly, but yeah, that's MPE brought to full flower. I understand that the Haken engine is a complex bear, but as with a ROLI, just tweaking the main axes is a go-to basic skill you can grasp pretty easily.

Its also likely to be a case of Preset Hell becoming a meaningless term. From what I hear, a large number of them are exactly what the instrument is for, so there seems like less of a drive to modify them at the root level. The performance level is where you do most of the expressive adjustments.

I don't expect many "Digital Native Dance" patches, but after a while, we'll be able to say "That's an Osmose." I look forward to the people who will really meld with it and personalize it. Its still in the early days.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine. :boing:

IMG_8761.thumb.jpeg.c25821da7520c53efcf52e5bf1988555.jpeg

My initial thought is that I’m really impressed with this instrument.  As mentioned extensively in this thread, it’s way deep…but, man - I just love the sound and flexibility so far.  

I’m inclined to agree that it’s quite a bargain at the asking price.

It was definitely worth the wait. 😎🥳

dB

• Like 6
  • Cool 1
  • Love 3

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wandering around downtown Montreal with my wife on a weekend getaway today, we stumbled into a Moog Audio store and I was shocked to see an Osmose in the flesh out on the floor. Plugged in some headphones and tried out a few patches ... ooh boy. I think I LOVE this thing. I've been playing a lot of left-hand bass and it seems *ideal* for that, as well as a great compromise between the expressiveness of the Seaboard and the practical needs of doing pads and stabs and other more traditional keyboard gestures to round out a rig based on organ and/or piano.

How are those of you who have had yours for awhile feeling about it?

From what I can tell from this thread and the wider internet, the editing software is deeply, frustratingly complicated, but it also seems like the onboard presets are diverse and very responsive. It's got DIN and USB MIDI in and out, all of which I would make use of... did I also see that there is, in fact, ways to layer and split? I had assumed it was monotimbral, and that wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but being able to spread multiple voices across the four octaves would certainly come in handy from time to time.

Man, I'd had a solid two years of not having any keyboard purchases on my wish list. It's a hard life we lead. Anyway, interested in how the Osmose is feeling for those of you who have had it for awhile.

• Love 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.