Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ebert gave it 2 stars.

I'll give it 3

*** <---there they are...see 'em?

I really thought that wussie-boy Paris needed to be taken over his daddy's knee.

Brad Pitt did a fine job as usual. I understand we worked out for 6 months to get that buff for the part. I've been working out too....I don't look anything like that. Sum-bitch! :cry:

The dude who played Hector was cool.

The fight scenes were cool, but you can tell that films like The Matrix have certainly had their impact.

Some of the elements to the story, I just couldn't buy into. That trojain girl who fell in love with Brad Pitt....I just couldn't buy it.

(SPOILER ALERT)

My wife really liked the scene where Pitt was yelling Hector's name outside of the gates, and Hector kept Brad waiting while he said his 'goodbyes' to everyone. I thought it would have been cooler if he also would have stopped to have a good breakfast, and maybe went to the store to pick up a few things before going out to fight Brad... :D

The bit where Brad's cousin was killed in battle and we all thought it was Brad, was pretty cool. I didn't see that one coming.

(END SPOILER ALERT you're safe now...)

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. But I don't get out to see movies that often, so I'm not surprised I enjoyed the movie.

We went to see it on Friday night. We stopped off at Taco Bell, for a quick bite before it started. Oddly enough, neither me or my wife remembered that Friday was out 10th anniversery. So last night, my wife says; "So....How did you like our anniversery?"

I'm like; 'Oh shit! When was it?? How did I mess this one up???!!! :eek: '

She says; "Friday was our anniversery.", and I go; "Hey! I took you out for dinner and a movie, what's the problem??!?!?" :D

I got lucky this year.... :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Some of the elements to the story, I just couldn't buy into. That trojain girl who fell in love with Brad Pitt....I just couldn't buy it.

Blame Homer and his books :D

Actually though they changed the time line, the characters and their relationships are just like the original story.

SPOILER ALERT

My wife really liked the scene where Pitt was yelling Hector's name outside of the gates, and Hector kept Brad waiting while he said his 'goodbyes' to everyone. I thought it would have been cooler if he also would have stopped to have a good breakfast, and maybe went to the store to pick up a few things before going out to fight Brad... :D

The bit where Brad's cousin was killed in battle and we all thought it was Brad, was pretty cool. I didn't see that one coming.

Nice scenes, you are so right.

Actually the role of Hector (Eric Bana) is what deserves special attention. Great performance.

She says; "Friday was our anniversery.", and I go; "Hey! I took you out for dinner and a movie, what's the problem??!?!?" :D

Smart move :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by theblue1:

How do the CGI "armies" look on the big screen?

On the TV trailers they all look like little clones scrambling around, kind of like Prince of Persia on PCP or something.

They look pretty fine!

Since I kept focused in other aspects than CGI stuff, I did not notice anything synthetic.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by theblue1:

How do the CGI "armies" look on the big screen?

On the TV trailers they all look like little clones scrambling around, kind of like Prince of Persia on PCP or something.

That's something a friend o' mine complainted about. Honestly, the whole filme looked pretty good to me. He thought it was a cheap production. :rolleyes:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

"Gladiator" quality? Doubt it. Will have to see for myself.

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

You know guys, it doesn't matter if it is a film, piece of music, or even a flash movie on the net....if it takes me "somewhere" and really creates a "place" I remember and want to come back to, then I consider it special. ---Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

You know guys, it doesn't matter if it is a film, piece of music, or even a flash movie on the net....if it takes me "somewhere" and really creates a "place" I remember and want to come back to, then I consider it special. ---Lee

Agree!

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

I liked the film. I thought that the special effects supported the story rather than overrode the story. I was thoroughly entertained.

I read Homer's stories ("Iliad", "Odyssey", especially the latter) when I was in grade school, thoroughly enjoying the stories. I thought that this movie did a pretty good job in bringing the Iliad to life, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film.

Did anyone in the cast look Greek? Even remotely?

I used to get angry with those Channel 13 historical plays. Caesar and his Roman senators all talking in British accents.

If you're going to spend a zillion bucks on CGI, why not hire a few Greek actors for a little bit of realism?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Saw it yesterday, was alright, bit of a dissapointment...

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Too many Hollywood execs got a look in I think!!!! Following Hectors death it just went off on a tangent?!?! As I recall, Procleus (sp?) was Achilles lover, not cousin, and Achille's was unable to fight for some reason which is why he stole his armour and led the Myrmidon's into battle to inspire the demotivated Greek army. A lot more of a heroic sacrifice than the movie's portrayal where it came across as just a really dumb move!! And explains Achille's anger a lot more.

And Achille's death wasn't one that would be remembered for thousands of years, for one thing, hardly anyone saw it!!! The problem with wanting the big star in it at the end...

Were some great performances though, esp Eric Bana & Sean Bean, and Brad Pitt's was pretty good too. Wanted to slap Paris, but I think that was more the character than Blooms acting....

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Brad Pitt did a fine job as usual. I understand we worked out for 6 months to get that buff for the part. I've been working out too....I don't look anything like that. Sum-bitch! :cry:

I get mistaken for his brother a lot...you know, Arm Pitt :D

I really enjoyed the movie. I think they changed several things about the story if I remember it correctly.

Paul

Did anyone in the cast look Greek? Even remotely?

The chick who played Paris' cuz looked kinda greek, and the "evil" king had something going, too.

Peter O'Toole... not Greek in the least.

Brad Pitt... no.

But the movie was good anyway.

The scene where Pitt is calling Hector from outside the city walls actually had me laughing... reminded me of kids calling their friends from outside on the street:

"Yo, Hector! HECTOR! YO! HECTOR! HECTOR! We're gonna play some stickball... YO HECTOR!"

That coulda gone a little shorter...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Not looking Greek, don't really have a problem with.

Having a Greek king with a Scottish accent, his brother having an Irish accent, one of the sub-kings having a Sheffield accent, his countryman having a whatever-part-of-the-states-Pitt-is-from accent and so on and so forth, was quite amusing :D

At the risk of pissing on a parade, I thought the film was some of the very worst dreck I've seen in perhaps three years. Indeed, Streetfighter was the last film that so negatively impressed me.

Wolfgang Peterson, the director of Troy, is not Ridley Scott, the director of Gladiator. Brad Pitt seemed absurdly lacking in any sort of martial bearing whatsoever. The director seemed far more focused on his beauty than on his aggressiveness. Eric Bana was acceptable although his performance in Black Hawk Down was much better.

I am generally eager to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy a film and with Troy it was simply not possible for me to get pest the plodding acting, the fractured narrative flow, and Brian Cox's ridiculous Agamemnon.

Wolfgang Peterson should view Das Boot again and realize that everything he has made since that film has been crap.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

What makes it tough for me is that the last "blockbuster" movie I saw was "Lord of the Rings", which is a fantastic movie (or three). I found "Troy" entertaining, and Pitt was better than I thought he would be, so I went in with relatively low expectations, just wanting good action scenes. So I ended up enjoying "Troy" quite a bit. The other thing is that I really enjoyed "The Iliad" as a kid, and seeing it on the screen was really cool.

I have not had the pleasure yet as I usually wait for the video but here's what some would be experts thought.

Homer's great poem the Iliad is cut and hacked mercilessly in it, while the evidence of the archaeological record is helpless before its onslaught.
Troy\'s Fallen!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

What makes it tough for me is that the last "blockbuster" movie I saw was "Lord of the Rings", which is a fantastic movie (or three). I found "Troy" entertaining, and Pitt was better than I thought he would be, so I went in with relatively low expectations, just wanting good action scenes. So I ended up enjoying "Troy" quite a bit. The other thing is that I really enjoyed "The Iliad" as a kid, and seeing it on the screen was really cool.

Ken saying that, surely you noticed how far the story drifts from Iliad? Still good though.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I definitely noticed how much the story drifts from Iliad, but from a movie making standpoint, I understand that and generally agreed with the drifts/omissions (especially leaving the Greek gods out of it! ).

(especially leaving the Greek gods out of it!)

How true!

And people must be aware that the TROJAN HORSE story comes at the Odissey, not at the Iliad... so it's a combination of both.

BTW, it's only an entertainer's vision of a classic poem. I liked it.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Rensonic:

Did y'all know that in Ancient Grece people used to talk with fake bad British accents? :D

er... they weren't fake, a lot of the main cast ARE British. We just really do sound that silly... :D

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

(especially leaving the Greek gods out of it!)

How true!

And people must be aware that the TROJAN HORSE story comes at the Odissey, not at the Iliad... so it's a combination of both.

BTW, it's only an entertainer's vision of a classic poem. I liked it.

Actually wasn't it the Aeniad?
S.K. Evans | Animus Mundi | Nuendo 3.01, 3 WinXP SP1 machines (p4 3.0, 2.4 Celeron, 2.4 Celeron), Fxteleport, RME Multiface, 2 UAD cards

Archived