Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Been on a huge Gnocchi kick recently

There used to be and may still be an authentic Italian restaurant in the South SF Bay Area which has history in the air. It has been decades since I was there but they had been at the location for a long time. It was a building reminiscent of Italy with imported decor from Italy. The waiter staff seemed to be first generation Italian. Eating there was a relished process in stages ending with coffee and tiramisu.

Olive Garden is Olive Garden. Round Table Pizza is Round Table pizza. Neither are Italian cuisine. There are definite differences. Sometimes I crave one or the other but I do not think of either when someone suggests going out to dinner and having Italian.

Olive Garden's zuppa toscana is good, the accompanying bread is dreadful.

I have believed "GN" is pronounced nnyaay:

Bolognese is Bul-lo-nnyaay-say

Gnocchi is nnyaw-kee

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i know, the 'GN' sound simply do not exists in english, or in french; so, you may approximate it in writing, but you can get it only from listening to an italian mother tongue.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I ran into similar obstacles when I visited Portugal last year. I had been told they all know Spanish anyway (not even remotely true!) and that the languages aren't that different (also not true; at least from a pronunciation and spelling point of view).

I had to learn Italian a couple of decades ago when I worked at an Italian company that did all of its software documentation and company communications in Italian. I found it easy to pick up, but people weren't terribly picky about accuracy as they were all from different regions of Italy anyway.

We never went out for gnocchi though -- they didn't approve of the Italian restaurants in the Santa Clara CA area (nor did I). There's a good one in the Northern Central Valley between Sacramento and Redding but it's been almost twenty years so I don't recall; maybe in Willows or nearby?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager