Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can headphones damage your hearing?

I practice piano early every morning for 2 hours, becuase it's so early, I wear my Senheiser headphones the entire time. I don't crank it, just soft piano.. I wonder if I'm doing damage, just from the duration rather than the levels. I did the gamut of audiologist tests a couple years back and got fitted musicians plugs, maybe I should go back and test again and see if I've gotten worse.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mound:

I practice piano early every morning for 2 hours, becuase it's so early, I wear my Senheiser headphones the entire time. I don't crank it, just soft piano.. I wonder if I'm doing damage, just from the duration rather than the levels. I did the gamut of audiologist tests a couple years back and got fitted musicians plugs, maybe I should go back and test again and see if I've gotten worse.

Mound, you are fine.

This is how bad info gets started. Loud is loud and soft is soft regardless of the source.

Listening to any sound louder than the human voice, at a distance of 6 feet, will indeed damage your hearing.

Headphones are VERY BAD for hearing. Good for listening -- bad for hearing.

I know. I suffer from profound hearing loss, mostly due to playing loud guitar in my youth. That and hanging around machinery on farms.

I was rejected by the TSA because of my hearing deficiency, for a position that did not require hearing. I'm thinking about getting a "disability" status because of my hearing problems -- probably some tax breaks involved...

However, as a musician, it's a rude awakening to realize that you can't hear as much as you used to. I take care of my hearing, now. In fact, I started taking care of my hearing back in 1981, when a friend of mine tested me and told me that I was experiencing some "high end" loss. Too late. The damage was started.

Also, I had my left eardrum burst by a trumpet player who thought it would be funny to stick the horn next to my ear and blast out a loud "A."

At least I can still hear in my brain.

Originally posted by RangerJay:

Listening to any sound louder than the human voice, at a distance of 6 feet, will indeed damage your hearing.

Headphones are VERY BAD for hearing. Good for listening -- bad for hearing.

Sorry about your hearing, but ...

Conversation is about 45dB. OSHA allows an 8 hour exposure of 85dB. Your first statement is untrue.

Only TOO LOUD headphones are bad for your hearing. Anything too loud is bad for your hearing.

Originally posted by russrags:

Ask Pete Townshend .... his problem was a result of years recording in the Studio with headphones and Alcohol. The Drinking caused the parts inside his ears to not do a proper job, letting the headphones do the damage. I've always heard 10 minutes on the hour of loud listening in the Studio is acceptable.

I believe his exact quote, when asked what he thought damaged his hearing the most, was, "Headphones, headphones, headphones!"

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived