Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chord help

Gary75

Sorry for the picture size.

Im just wading through some 60s jazz and am puzzled as to how theyve written down chords. Im used to the real book standard of alt, b, #, etc, but this seems to be really weird and hard to understand. Take a look at the bottom one in particular. I get the b10 is just a sharp 9, but whats with the double flat 5? Thats an 11 right?

The top one E7 natural 10 +, just what is that in modern real book chart speak?

Is this the work of the publisher (maybe a classical trained transcriber without jazz shorthand skills), or the artist? It just seems overly confusing.

0-F239972-9370-4396-A20-B-1-DAE54-B90-F15.jpg

D98304-A2-C8-DF-4426-86-EF-A55-A0-D628-D82.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is this again but this time its written. So as you can see its just a Eb7#9 but still not getting the double flat as even if its referencing the melody note, the melody note is A which is just one flat from its natural 5th

98-D5-E713-1-ED5-494-A-8-CD5-56-E5-CBFDA780.jpg

I remember a chord thread a few years ago where Menno De Boer, who came up in the Netherlands, talked about these altered 10 chords which pop up in a lot of European stuff. As far as the b10 goes, it's just another way of writing #9.

Not sure what the 10+ is. Maybe a shorthand for b10,#5 which would be our standard altered chord. Or the +10 could be a sus4?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Think youre right. Looks like the bb5 isnt really part of the chord but the melody A note. For reasons unknown, its been included into the overall, wrongly, rather than an Eb7(#9) where the melody happens to be an A (presumably resolving somewhere...)

Definitely over-complicating things by the transcriber is my guess.

Archived