Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-tier stand with closest upper tier

Marzzz

Find an Invisible Stand.
My nephew has one that he picked up in a garage sale, of all places. What would be a fair amount to offer him?

the last one I bought from Music Go Round about 5 years ago I paid $39.00 for the stand, but $60 for the shipping. I thought the shipping price was high, but was happy to have a complete unit for $100.00

:nopity:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an OnStage Z. I bought the 2nd Tier attachments but took out the sliding vertical supports and replaced them with short pieces of 1X2. The 1x2 supports the back end of the upper keyboard while the front edge of the upper simply rests on the lower keyboard. You don't need the arms, verticals, or horizontal stabilizer anyway.

Here for the gear.

I have an OnStage Z. I bought the 2nd Tier attachments but took out the sliding vertical supports and replaced them with short pieces of 1X2. The 1x2 supports the back end of the upper keyboard while the front edge of the upper simply rests on the lower keyboard. You don't need the arms, verticals, or horizontal stabilizer anyway.

If you happen to have pictures of that handy, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Signed, a not-completely-satisfied Onstage Z stand user

Excuse the studio clutter - I threw this together for your request for pics. When I was gigging with this setup, I had a CP4 on the lower and a NS2-73 above, but you get the drift. The CP is a level horizontal top while the SL88 has a slight angle. I just realized I hadn't shot the front view, but really it's the closest the upper can be to the lower; even take it down another half an inch if you remove the bottom feet, and lower the 1x2 a bit more.

IMG-2149.jpgIMG-2150.jpgIMG-2147.jpg

Here for the gear.

Find an Invisible Stand.
My nephew has one that he picked up in a garage sale, of all places. What would be a fair amount to offer him?

the last one I bought from Music Go Round about 5 years ago I paid $39.00 for the stand, but $60 for the shipping. I thought the shipping price was high, but was happy to have a complete unit for $100.00

Depending on what he paid at the garage sale and how much he loves his uncle, I think a fair current value is $100-150 based on recent sales on Reverb and eBay. There was a period of time when they were fetching more, around the time that the hype factor was higher and supply seemed slim. That was probably 10 years ago.

That rig is a prime candidate for sure. I assume that's the Quiklok Z-726? Seems like you should be able to get creative and execute a similar idea, using the back crossbar that the stock 2nd tier supports attach to. You could even just chop off the uprights at an appropriate height (I usually have a local muffler place or other welding shop handle those jobs for me), and put some sort of rubber cover on top of each, but the threaded-rod approach is handy because the exact height is infinitely adjustable, so it's easier to get the same exact height and eliminate wobbles.
Yes, a Quiklok Z-726; I like this stand because it is very stable and nothing bounces, no matter how hard I bang on it. I did drill holes in the uprights, so I am not afraid to take a hacksaw to them. In some respects I really miss my MIDIBoard, you could stack another keyboard directly on it.

I have my 2nd-tier arms flopped at an angle so that they rest on the bottom board, so the space between the boards is no more than the thickness of the tier arms. I'm using some ancient KMD 2nd tier arms, but you might be able to use something like this if they're not too tall: On-Stage-Stands/Keyboard-X-Stand-Add-On-Tier

Discard the cross brace, and remove and discard the front stops.

Set the arms for 90 degrees (i.e. parallel to the bottom board).

Place the bottom board on the stand, insert the tier arms into the stand, and splay them outward so that they rest on the bottom board.

Tighten the arms in this position, and lay the top board on the arms.

- Jimbo

NpAcGJa.jpg

K&M Baby Spider Pro with second set of support arms. :thu:

The two keyboards don't get very close, as the inverted-triangle cross-section of the arms is of a 1.5" height. Having said that, all column-type stands have a similar problem. Two sturdy x-stands seems to be the best at home, although I use the Spider Pro on stage.

Archived