Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last performance of Journey/Rick Wakeman's birthday

Dave Bryce

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will be a lively show. I got to see Rick's original U.S. tour, which was a real winner. The high point for me was when a line of chorus girls dressed in kelly green sequins came out and did a can-can as he played a ragtime piece on a Clavinet. It was a memorable left turn in the midst of a big epic.

Wow, Rick is 70. Makes me feel as old as the dirt under a pyramid. :Python:

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I saw the original Journey tour in the 70s as well.

dB

I did too. Don't remember a chorus line, though. What I do remember is that Gentle Giant opened. I wouldn't have wanted to follow them that night--they were on fire. It felt like quite a bit of time passed before Rick came out. Great show from him, too, but it's GG's albums that still turn up in my playlist.

What I do remember is that Gentle Giant opened. I wouldn't have wanted to follow them that night--they were on fire. It felt like quite a bit of time passed before Rick came out. Great show from him, too, but it's GG's albums that still turn up in my playlist.

You may be thinking of the Myths and Legends tour - that's the one GG opened for him...with Starcastle first, if memory serves.

I'm pretty sure the first Journey tour had no opener. I certainly don't remember one.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

You may be thinking of the Myths and Legends tour - that's the one GG opened for him...with Starcastle first, if memory serves.

I'm pretty sure the first Journey tour had no opener. I certainly don't remember one.

dB

You're right. My memory gets worse and worse. What I saw was a pretty stripped down presentation. Larry Coryell and Eleventh House was the first act, though. It was '75 or' 76.

I saw the original Journey to the Center of the Earth tour and remember the can can girls. I think they danced to the Charleston, but I could be wrong. I also remember that the audience demanded an encore but Rick said they didn't have anymore material. So he said we'll need to repeat something we've already played, which they did. I'm almost certain it was at Madison Square Garden. If not, it was the Nassau Coliseum.

You're right. My memory gets worse and worse. What I saw was a pretty stripped down presentation. Larry Coryell and Eleventh House was the first act, though. It was '75 or' 76.

Exactly right. Funny thing is that I remembered Coryell, but dismissed that as incorrect.

RW had to bag the orchestra and ice skaters (!) from the Myths and Legends tour. Cost too much (who knew? :rolleyes: ). By the time it got to us, it was greatly simplified.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived