Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Real Mardi Gras USA ?

d  halfnote

While not observed nationally throughout the United States, a number of traditionally ethnic French cities and regions in the country have notable celebrations. Mardi Gras arrived in North America as a French Catholic tradition with the Le Moyne brothers, Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville and Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, in the late 17th century, when King Louis XIV sent the pair to defend France's claim on the territory of Louisiane, which included what are now the U.S. states of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and part of eastern Texas.

The expedition, led by Iberville, entered the mouth of the Mississippi River on the evening of 2 March 1699 (new style), Lundi Gras. They did not yet know it was the river explored and claimed for France by René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle in 1683. The party proceeded upstream to a place on the east bank about 60 miles downriver from where New Orleans is today, and made camp.

This was on 3 March 1699, Mardi Gras, so in honour of this holiday, Iberville named the spot Point du Mardi Gras (French: "Mardi Gras Point") and called the nearby tributary Bayou Mardi Gras.

Bienville went on to found the settlement of Mobile, Alabama in 1702 as the first capital of French Louisiana.

In 1703 French settlers in Mobile established the first organised Mardi Gras celebration tradition in what was to become the United States.

The first informal mystic society, or krewe, was formed in Mobile in 1711, the Boeuf Gras Society. By 1720, Biloxi had been made capital of Louisiana. The French Mardi Gras customs had accompanied the colonists who settled there.

In 1723, the capital of Louisiana was moved to New Orleans, founded in 1718. The first Mardi Gras parade held in New Orleans is recorded to have taken place in 1837.

K-Wha ?!?!?!

Day & Night

"Lightning before the thunder !

Yhey say yer basic

Say yer Easy

Who d'ya think y'are ??

[video:youtube]

Since NawLeans has neglected to restore the down market neighborhoods destroyed by Katrina & that were once it's defining lifeblood, is it time to put (The) Parteee back where it started ?

:idk

d=halfnote

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a wrong turn traveling east from California to the East Coast on Interstate 10 and wound up in the City of New Orleans. That city was definitely not to my liking. So I never went back there for any reason. Although I wanted to, just to attend Mardi Gras, but I could not stomach the idea of spending any time in that city.

Disclaimer; I was born in the city of Philadelphia PA. and lived there till I hit 3rd grade, then moved back in 8th Grade, and lived there until 10th grade. From that experience I do not like cities at all, and definitely try and avoid all of them at all costs. After 10th grade I became a country boy.

:cheers:

Not being Catholic, we've never really got into the "lent" thing. Nor too, despite being Polish too( yet not Catholic) I've never had any PACZKI until about 25 or so years ago when they became a big thing on "fat Tuesday" with Polish Catholics and non-Poles alike. ;)

Mardi Gras has long been a celebration not unlike ST. PATRICK'S DAY and CINCO de MAYO, in which millions of people with NO ethnic or religious connection to the "holidays" still use them as an excuse to get drunk, laid and otherwise act the fool.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Mardi Gras is celebrated in other parts of the world as Carnival, and it also involves an excess of drinking, eating and dancing, before the austerity of Lent. Brazil's Rio de Janeiro is probably the most noted example of a Carnival celebration (they spell it Carnaval in Portuguese), as New Orleans has been identified with Mardi Gras.

IME, some folks will just take any excuse to get sick drunk in the middle of the work week, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, whatever you want to call it. They're welcome to it, and the accompanying hangover . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

My family celebrates St. Patricks Day every year with corn beef and cabbage and a couple shots of Irish Whiskey. The men drink the whiskey and the women drive home (although they may have a glass of wine). We play music and have a great time gathering all of us together each year. Never seen anybody get drunk or fail to make it to work and school the next day. My DNA test came back 35% Irish BTW. It's a separate holiday having nothing to do with Mardi Gras... :sick:

ps. Happy St. Patricks Day when it comes around on the 17th to all! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I only know ONE "true" Irishman, and he HATES corned beef and cabbage.

Surprising how many folks'll choke down that swill because they think it's "traditional". I like corned beef, but the two together? OY!

Would take a WEEK to air out the house. And besides, these days the SODIUM level in corned beef makes it prohibitive to me. :(

Whitefang

@Larryz - Not meaning to conflate St. Patrick's Day & Mardi Gras, other than some folks will take any excuse to party, like I said. You should see downtown D.C. on Halloween night.

1st generation Irishman here, since the thread is wandering and weaving that way. My mother was from Westport, in County Mayo. I grew up in an Irish neighborhood in NYC, and can still remember all the Irish kids skipping school on St. Patrick's Day, to go downtown and watch the parade. While it was never an official school holiday, in either the public or the Catholic school systems, I don't remember any of us ever being punished for missing school. These days, I observe the day by wearing a small shamrock pin my mother gave me, that's about all.

You wonder how a particular day becomes associated with drunkenness? Promotion. Walk into any liquor store this time of year, and you'll already see the St. Patrick's Day ads hanging up, as often as not featuring an attractive young woman in a skimpy green outfit that a cheerleader might wear. (Our Mexican friends get the same treatment around Cinco de Mayo.) Funny thing though, I don't see beer and liquor sales for President's Day, just like I don't see auto dealerships having St. Patrick's Day sales?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@ Fang, My Granpa Joe was a "true Irishman" about as true as you are going to get. He is the reason I have my Irish blood and he loved his corn beef and cabbage. He is also the reason I love mincemeat pie but can only have a sliver as I'm diabetic. I boil up a whole pot of potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage slathered in butter to go with the corn beef. I BBQ the corn beef which is not "traditional" and must be cooked in-direct heat or it will flare up when the fat burns off. It's not "swill" to me and my only problem is being able to have some left over corn beef for my hash the next day...never salt your corn beef you ba hum bugger LOL! :cool:

I hear ya Brother Winston and Happy St Patricks day to you!

I bought my two corn beefs on sale yesterday (one flat brisket and one round)...I know the stores usually have Irish Whiskey and corn beefs for sale every year much the same as having egg nog on the shelf at Christmas and they milk the holiday. At least we don't have to buy a hallmark card LOL! We all wear the green on the day and I have a crystal shot/jigger glass my buddy brought me from Ireland about 10 years ago. I always pour myself a shot (maybe two) while cooking up the corn beef...that's about it for tradition. Have a good one and I'll be throwing a toast your way! :cheers:

ps. d, sorry we went off course on our Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday celebration but it is pretty much wound down by now LOL! Let The Good Times Roll! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Beef braised in beer & dressed w/the finest sauce a-coming from the County Mayo aside...

what abt the revocation of Nawleans's licence to ill & a (rightful ?) return of said to original N Amer home of the party, Moblie ?

d=halfnote

Beef braised in beer & dressed w/the finest sauce a-coming from the County Mayo aside...

what abt the revocation of Nawleans's licence to ill & a (rightful ?) return of said to original N Amer home of the party, Moblie ?

Im originally from NOLA, but Im an Army Brat who moved away long ago, and havent been back since just a few weeks prior to Katrina.

Mobile may be where it got its start in the USA, but NOLA is where it really took off and exploded. Maybe its to do with all the other contradictory aspects of that citys reality,

I only know ONE "true" Irishman, and he HATES corned beef and cabbage.

Surprising how many folks'll choke down that swill because they think it's "traditional". I like corned beef, but the two together? OY!

Would take a WEEK to air out the house. And besides, these days the SODIUM level in corned beef makes it prohibitive to me. :(

Whitefang

I have to say I do love cabbage and I dont really care for corned beef at all. But because my Mom loves the stuff, Id make her at least one every year. In addition, shed often ask to go to certain places that served it, just to complete her annual fix.

Then, about a year ago, I tried something different...

Much like d notes, instead of boiling, steaming or baking the thing, I braised it in beer. Not only did Mom like it, she loved it. As in, my beer-braised corned beef was being praised as her favorite above all the places Id take her to get it. So effusive was her praise, I decided to try my own handiwork.

Damn if it wasnt good. Not tolerable, good. Enjoyable. As in, I had seconds, bonus: it was noticeably less salty. (I, too, have sodium issues.)

You might give it a try.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Louisiana Creole, here.

I played a gig in Birmingham, AL this weekend... as I was renting a car for the trip due to our van blowing a hose Thursday (that had to be special ordered) the clerk at the rental counter asked where I was going and then said the previous 8 customers had all told her they were going to Mobile for Mardi Gras, which she'd never known about. I knew it was the first in the U.S., most people around here don't realize that Mobile was a French Colony... I'm not sure most of the present residents of Mobile are aware of that, either... it does have a few blocks left of old buildings that resemble the French Quarter in New Orleans. The name of the city comes from the Indian tribe the French encountered when they sailed into the bay.

Mardi Gras... well, when I got past the age of enjoying staying drunk for 5 or 6 days straight it lost its appeal. If you're sober it'll drive you crazy dealing with the crowds and traffic and either cold rain or unbearable heat.

By the way, on a related thing, the oldest city in the U.S. is...

St. Augustine, Florida. Founded by the Spanish in 1565.

I actually have been to (The) Castile de San Marcos there in St Austine. Quite a place.

Archival food & history aside, though my main query is whether Nawleans, by it's using Katrina as an excuse to rid itself of much of its remaining old areas & populace, deserves to also lose its aura of hipness & be abandoned to the ka-nucklehead tourists they seem to prefer.

Life is change & it is (The) 21st C.

Even though AlaBamaRamaBoom still trails from being the darkest of (The) Deep Dark Dirty South, maybe its time to reshape our world in more than one way...

Thoughts ?

What say ye ?

Time for a Change ?

Alabama Rec Studios

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&q=alabama+recording+studio&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=34153913,-87212888,80334&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwin5ZmDg_HgAhWjx4sBHYMBAwIQtgN6BAgDEAU&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d34.982603!2d-85.2641567!2m2!1d31.0060007!2d-87.84496039999999;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

Tina T w/Robt Cray gtr solo (3:23~4:43) + closing cadenza (5:50 + )

Them Upstart Kids Say A Change Greta Come

(The) Future, Conan ?

d=halfnote

I've never heard anyone I know personally and who's been to NOLA say they DIDN'T enjoy Mardi Gras.

But like I said( concerning the "derailment")----

I like corned beef, but can no longer eat it(unless I want to make a new car purchase possible for my cardiologist! ;) )

And I'll take my boiled cabbage wrapped around a mixture of ground beef, chopped onions and rice and steeped in a tomato based sauce(Golabki), but since we don't traditionally celebrate St. STANISLAUS day, it can be made any time! ;)

Oh, and COLE SLAW works better for me than the boiled cabbage usually accompanying corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. :thu:

Whitefang

My wife makes Golabki about every other week or so. We just call them cabbage rolls. The Russians (which my wife is 1/2) call it Golubtsi. She won't eat the cabbage but likes the way the hamburger, rice, onions, egg and garlic mixture comes out nice and moist and the tomato soup sauce over it. I told her to try banana leaves one of these days. The Chinese do that with dim sum steam baskets. Different strokes for different folks.

I only eat corn beef once a year on St Paddy's Day, Turkey at Thanksgiving and Prime Rib at Christmas...for Mardi Gras it's probably red beans and rice and a whole lot of Crawfish and Gumbo...I'm guessing? :cool:

ps. Happy April 11th! Feast [hearty] on those cabbage rolls and watch the salt! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

"Archival food & history aside, though my main query is whether Nawleans, by it's using Katrina as an excuse to rid itself of much of its remaining old areas & populace, deserves to also lose its aura of hipness & be abandoned to the ka-nucklehead tourists they seem to prefer." d

My answer would be a resounding NO. Too much celebration going on with beads, breasts hanging off the balconies, parades, history, music, food, corn on the cob, rum hurricanes, etc. The most fun city I ever visited as a tourist when I was 18 and 19 on Bourbon Street. It wasn't even Marti Gras yet when I was there! Katrina didn't help matters much, but that's no reason to abandon New Orleans as one of the major celebration locations IMHO.

Take care, Larryz

"Archival food & history aside, though my main query is whether Nawleans, by it's using Katrina as an excuse to rid itself of much of its remaining old areas & populace, deserves to also lose its aura of hipness & be abandoned to the ka-nucklehead tourists they seem to prefer." d

As someone 45 minutes down the road who is there for various reasons including gigging all the time... and whose dad's family are NOLA people going back Centuries...

It's complicated.

There are forces trying to turn it into a high cost condo "hellscape" (in the words of people who live there)... I mean, the economic profile of the city doesn't support the amount of $500,000+ condos that are being built everywhere... meanwhile AirBnB has eliminated affordable rental units in decent neighborhoods because people lease them just to make money renting them out to tourists parties... and the people I know who live next door to these units are one late night party on a weeknight away from a homocidal snap. For a town that thrives on service industry workers, pricing them out of being able to live in the immediate vicinity is not a sustainable thing. The homeless are everywhere (despite the fact that it's been reduced by 80% since immediately post-Katrina) because they used the hurricane as an excuse to get rid of most of the housing projects (and use the land for more upscale things)... so, how do you think things go when a city increasingly rubs the ultra-wealthy against the ultra-impoverished? Violence, often...

Strangest thing at the moment: a group that came to prominence during the fight to remove the Confederate monuments that were scattered around the city (New Orleans was captured very early in the Civil War, from the Gulf up the river, and was a Union-controlled city so the monuments made no sense and were just turn of the century trolling) has turned its attention to trying to harass the Krewe of Zulu, the traditional black Mardi Gras Krewe, to stop wearing blackface in its parade. They've done since, like, 1890 or something... it's satirical in origin and claiming a stereotype as an empowering thing... and the fact that the group fighting it is mostly Liberal PC white transplants, it's not going over well...

Archived