Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NPD: Used Malekko 616 Analog Delay Mk II

Winston Psmith

I wanted an Analog Delay, and saw this at my FLUMS. I'll get right to the good parts -

The 616 is an Analog Delay w/Modulation and 650ms of Delay Time. It's a lot like the MXR Carbon Copy, or the EHX Memory Toy/Memory Boy, and the same size as a Carbon Copy or Memory Toy.

You have the typical Time, Mix & Regeneration knobs, along with Modulation controls and a True Bypass button. There's also an internal trimpot marked Gain, for level-matching with your rig.

The Mix knob can push the Echoes louder than the Dry signal, and the Regeneration Knob gets into self-oscillation somewhere around 3 o'clock: 100% Regen is around 5 o'clock, but you're unlikely to ever get there. The Echoes degrade much like an old Tape Echo, and with longer Delay Times, you may get some odd artifacts with high Regeneration settings, even without going into self-oscillation. Bear in mind that this isn't some Digital emulation of an Analog Delay's frequency roll-off, this is really what this particular Analog Delay sounds like. If you want something a little smoother, you might prefer the Carbon Copy.

Modulation controls (Indicator light, On/Off button, Speed & Depth knobs) are on the front of the pedal, starting on the upper left corner. It's nice to have them where you can reach them, instead of inside the box, but they're still tiny. Modulation will take you quickly from soft, subtle ambience to full seasick mode. I've got the Speed at about 1 o'clock, and the Depth dialed way down to about 8 o'clock (7 o'clock = Zero Depth) for a light shimmering effect on the Echoes.

There's also a small button with an indicator light on the upper right, for True Bypass/Buffered Bypass. When TB is engaged, the light is on when you go into Bypass; with Buffered Bypass, the light stays off. I prefer the Bypassed tone in Buffered Bypass, FWIW.

I love the sound of this pedal, with the Modulation On or Off. It does everything I want from an Analog Delay, plus a little extra. Some of the settings get pretty wild at their extremes, but I'll probably find a use for those, too, just not all the time. It's capable of some very warm and beautiful Delay sounds, in a compact enclosure. I also like the Metal-flake Red finish, it reminds me of Fender's Candy Apple Red.

I picked it over the Carbon Copy in part because everyone seems to have a Carbon Copy on their pedalboard, but I also like NOT having to pry it off of my pedalboard and open it up to change the Mod Speed or Depth.

After returning the last Memory Boy, I won't be trying another one. Other folks have had similar issues with the EHX MB, mostly that it behaves very differently with different power supplies: wildly different max Delay Times, and tone degradation. It seems too unstable for a daisy chain, or even some of the box-type non-isolated power supplies. YEMV, of course.

There are a few versions of the 616, including the LoFi (usually in Serpent Venom Green) and the 616 Dark (Battleship Grey), just to confuse everyone, and yes, they all sound slightly different. The 616 is out of stock pretty much everywhere, but still listed on Malekko's website? You'll see them on Ebay and Reverb, or on GC's Used Gear listings, for about the same price as a used Carbon Copy.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo...part of the reason you didnt pick the Carbon Copy was you didnt wasnt to be a carbon copy? ;)

I also understand about disliking internally placed controls. There are several excellent pedals I own that have them, and thats a source of annoyance for me as well.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Sooo...part of the reason you didnt pick the Carbon Copy was you didnt wasnt to be a carbon copy? ;)

To be perfectly honest, yes. I kept seeing used CC's for $90-100, and passing them up, for some reason? I suppose in my head, I was holding out for something else, and the 616 turned out to be it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I have always liked my cute little Carbon Copy pedal (one of the few pedals that I have been keeping while all my others are for sale LOL! Great little delay pedal, solidly built by MXR. Hard to beat for the price IMHO. However, my son n law and daughter bought me a Keeley Memphis Sun pedal a few years back so there is a chance that CC will go up for sale too LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have always liked my cute little Carbon Copy pedal (one of the few pedals that I have been keeping while all my others are for sale LOL! Great little delay pedal, solidly built by MXR. Hard to beat for the price IMHO. However, my son n law and daughter bought me a Keeley Memphis Sun pedal a few years back so there is a chance that CC will go up for sale too LOL! :cool:

What pedals are you planning on selling, Larry?

By the way- Keeley Memphis Sun, niiiiiiiice! Those look to be GREAT, really cool pedals! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I recall when the Carbon Copy came out, thinking "I should get one of those," but never did? When I saw the 616, something about it just appealed to me.

I do like Malekko's gear. Much of their production is in Synth Modules, so attention to detail is key. I have their Sneak Attack (Tremolo/Attack-Decay Envelope Generator) and it's much more like a Synth Module than a conventional Tremolo or Attack Delay effect. I've also been trying to track down their Scrutator pedal. (Bit Crushing + Ring Mod).

My one Keeley pedal (at least, at present) is the Bubbletron. It's my current favorite Flanger effect, and I've been using Flangers since they first came out. I suspect there's another Keeley pedal in my not-too-distant future, either the Seafoam or the DynoMyRoto . . .

What pedals are you planning on selling, Larry?

By the way- Keeley Memphis Sun, niiiiiiiice! Those look to be GREAT, really cool pedals! :cool:

I have a few pedals left but they are in storage as we are painting the whole house interior and putting in new carpet. I have sold and traded quite a few. Off the top of my head Carbon Copy, Earnie Ball volume, DOD phase, Boss DS1 Distortion, Tech 21 Blonde, etc. May have a Boss Blues Driver but I think it's gone. I know I sold a Boss multi and an MXR comp and some others at swap meets. I'm keeping my Fender Floor multi and the Keeley Memphis. I know there is a box of my pedals somewhere LOL! I'll run across them soon! It reminds me of your milk crate set up LOL! Which was very cool BTW! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

sorry to threadjack (or threadhop) and I can't remember if I mentioned it around here, but I succumbed to the pull of a Caitlynbread Adeneko, which is a pedal that simulates the old "oil can" delays... a friend lucked upon a never used Morley Oil Can delay from the early 70s for $15 and the eerie sounds of it have haunted me since... this pedal gets that (the "viscosity" knob is a nice touch) but also can achieve longer delay times... it can get wavy and "oily" and aquatic sounding...

Archived