Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key lab and your V Collection experience

Franz Schiller

Hey there gang.

I have the V Collection and I like it a lot. It sounds really terrific, particular the Prophet VS and Synclavier.

However, I find that programming it is a real chore. Whenever I turn to tweak parameters, I totally lose the momentum of whatever I was working on. I control the laptop (on which the V Collection resides) with my organ. I don't have any fleshed out midi controllers with knobs and stuff.

So I was wondering if the Arturia Keylab (in its many forms) positively affects your experience with the V Collection synths?

I realize that a dozen knobs will not facilitate deep programming. But I wonder if it helps at all? Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe Arturia has some clever way to go deep with their Keylab programming?

I'm curious to hear your impressions, if any. Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want/need to get an Arturia Keylab 61 either orig or MK2

The parameters are all pre mapped to the V-Collection instruments.

This will help your work flow tremendously. Also, if you want to do any customizing of the setup, the software for the Keylab lets you do this.

Further, my original Keylab 61 Black Edition, as well as my Keylab 61 MK2 have are solid.

I gigged with my original keylab for a couple years now, and it's been totally reliable.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I have a KeyLab 61 MK2 and I would definitely recommend it with Arturia V Collection 6. The action is good, not the best, but decent keys, aftertouch and the mappings are there, although I still tend to reach for the mouse anyway.

I would avoid the KeyLab Essentials, too cheap feeling for me. The KeyLab MK2 looks really nice and feels like a real synth.

I'm on the fence if I'm going to keep my KeyLab MK2 or send it back. I am comparing it to Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 and using V Collection inside of Komplete Kontrol. There are more controls on the KeyLab than Komplete Kontrol, but I need to personally decide if the Native Instruments approach to workflow is more my thing. I do prefer the feel of the Fatar keybed over the Arturia, but the Arturia is still pretty darn good, too.

Honestly, I think you would like the Arturia KeyLab MK2 if V Collection 6 is your primary soft synth set.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Hello. Programming a virtual instrument will always be a chore, and will cause you to lose momentum or disrupt your flow or be a distraction.

I am not sure a different controller will solve the problem: programming a VI will always call on a different set of cognitive functions than playing a VI.

A midi controller may make the job of programming a VI easier, but I don't think it will change the part where we think of programming the VI as an interruption or a hurdle to be overcome.

(And don't forget that using the midi controller will require that you need to set up the controller with the rest of your rig and learn to use the controller. These things also distract and get in the way of making music.)

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Hello. Programming a virtual instrument will always be a chore, and will cause you to lose momentum or disrupt your flow or be a distraction.

I am not sure a different controller will solve the problem: programming a VI will always call on a different set of cognitive functions than playing a VI.

A midi controller may make the job of programming a VI easier, but I don't think it will change the part where we think of programming the VI as an interruption or a hurdle to be overcome.

(And don't forget that using the midi controller will require that you need to set up the controller with the rest of your rig and learn to use the controller. These things also distract and get in the way of making music.)

Wow..... that's a very broad statement to make about VI use.

In the original poster's questions, he specifically asks about how the Arturia Keylab controller work with the Arturia VI's.

We all answered him. The Arturia Keylab controllers are pre-mapped and work right out of the box with all of the Arturia V-Collection instruments. Just as the new Komplete Kontrol controllers are set up out of the box with Kontakt instruments.

Yes, if you have a generic controller, such as Akai, Novation, etc.. you do have to spend some time and "MIDI-learn" all the functions in your VI or DAW before you get to work.

Again, the original poster was specifically asking if the Arturia controller would help with his Arturia Instruments. The answer is yes.

I've been using the Arturia Keylab for years, and it integrates seamlessly with their own VI's

There is no momentum lost, as you allude to.

I can sit down, fire up the Arturia Jupiter 8 VI on the Macbook, turn on the Keylab controller, start playing and adjusting the sounds just as if I was sitting with a real Jupiter 8. I never have to touch the laptop.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Has anybody tried their 88 key controllers?

I had a Keylab 88, but thought the action was a little stiff and spongy for me. It was very well constructed and worked well with V-Collection. In the end, I traded it for a Roland RD-2000

So the keybed is almost is pretty similar to the M-Audio Keystation then. I'm sure RD-2000 has a way better keybed.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

In my bit of time with the original Keylab, I found the mapping of parameters in the various V collection synths quite bizarre and inadequate... and ultimately had to map it all out myself. Obviously that can be done with most any controller and the Keylab didn't make it particularly easier in any way, except for maybe having a dedicated knob for scrolling through presets. Perhaps Arturia improved upon this after my usage and or with the MKII.

Strange, I always thought the Keylab88's keybed was pretty light, maybe a bit too light. Each to his own.

Maybe he meant that the keys don't bounce back fast enough. That's always the case with cheap garbage controllers such as M-Audio Keystation. It's so hard to play anything up-tempo with that thing. Key velocities are all over the place as well.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Strange, I always thought the Keylab88's keybed was pretty light, maybe a bit too light. Each to his own.

I have heard that the Fatar TP100 keybed used in the Keylab 88 does loosen up over time. Perhaps I didn't own it long enough for this to happen.

I definitely would not classify it as a garbage keybed by any stretch. The velocity response was quite nice. The RD-2000 is better, but it cost 3x as much.

I have decided to return my new KeyLab 61 MK2.

It's a great controller for V Collection and I can't say anything negative about the hardware, software or integration between them both.

I've decided to keep the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 and prefer the overall experience better running V Collection 6 in Komplete Kontrol.

They're both great, and really you can't go wrong with either, but I think the Native Instruments solution just won me over.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Archived