Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IOS multitimbral synth app?

kenheeter

So, I'm kinda dumb at this stuff. I have an iPad Air and a Focusrite iTrack dock. I'd like to find an app that will allow for various sounds simultaneously in splits and layers, using a dumb controller. Is there something out there that will do it or do I need more than one app? I currently have Korg Module and Ravenscroft 275. Be kind, I'm an old guy........

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe these are multi-timbral...

Sampletank

iM1

BS-16i

Roland Sound Canvas

Korg Gadget

Thumbjam

Beathawk

...though that doesn't necessarily mean you can create splits and layers in them to trigger from a dumb controller. I think some do and some don't. If they don't, you can probably add that functionality by using the app in conjunction with another app like iMidiPatchbay or KeyStage.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hey Ken, Im just getting into [url:https://audiob.us]Audiobus 3[/url] which may be what youre looking for. Its basically a mixer for separate apps but is very intelligent and well-designed, and although I havent gone this far yet, has add-ones that will allow for programming splits. I can attest to prompt support and an easy online manual accessed thru the app.

Rod

Here for the gear.

Adding to that list:

- Syntronik, great synthesizer app with 4 parts

- Galileo 2 (bi-timbral), exclnt organ app, very tweakable, good for learning the many parameters of organ

- Sampletank, a huge collection of sampled instruments, gives you 8 parts

+1 on Audio Bus 3

The challenge for me, as Im also pretty new to controlling ipad apps, is getting my controller to independently control the volumes of all these different parts FROM MY KEYBOARD, not just from the ipad screen. And, its very fun to have controllers on your keyboard to play with the cutoff filter, pitch bend, etc.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Hey Ken, Im just getting into [url:https://audiob.us]Audiobus 3[/url] which may be what youre looking for. Its basically a mixer for separate apps

I think Audiobus is primarily about routing between apps (though it also has mixing functions), while it is AUM that is primarily (as you put it) a mixer for separate apps (though it also has routing functions). Though I am no expert in this either.

My understanding is that, in general, you would probably look at Audiobus first if your goal was to use the iPad for DAW functions (i.e. the output of your various apps is ultimately directed to a DAW app), whereas you would look at AUM first if your goal was to use the iPad for live performance (i.e. the output of your various apps is ultimately directed to the iPad's audio output). This isn't a hard and fast rule, there is overlap between Audiobus and AUM and also ways they can work together... there are situations where either could work, and your choice could also vary with exactly which other apps you're using and how you're trying to combine them.

But getting back to the OP, if the goal is basically turn the iPad into a multitimbral sound module, in order of complexity, I think these are the approaches:

1. use a single app that can simultaneously generate different sounds on different MIDI channels

2. use multiple apps, each listening on its own channel (or combination of channels)

3. to either of the above, add something like iMidiPatchbay or KeyStage (maybe the forthcoming Camelot Pro?) if needed for more control over the sounds being generated on the different channels (split points, relative volumes, patch changes... more likely needed in scenario 2 than scenario 1, and especially if your controller keyboard lacks multi-zone volume controls and/or multi-zone sending of MIDI Program Changes)

4. and if you need more (and especially if you need to route from one app to another), you can look at AUM, AudioBus 3, and ApeMatrix. I'd be curious myself if anyone could really speak to the differences among those three specifically from the perspective of live performance.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Module isn't multitimbral, is it?

No... but if you have it, you can load its sounds into Gadget, which is.

There are some shortcomings, though. For one, the Triton and Mellow IAPs load into a Gadget called Glasgow. There are over 200 sounds in there, with no good way to navigate them, you just have to keep scrolling through the little hard-to-read 4-item window. There's no full screen, full text size pop-up menu, or any other method of seeing more than 4 of the 200+ at a time. Unless I missed something?

I wish the individual gadgets' presets could be recalled va MIDI Program Change on whichever channel you've assigned them to. Module is obviously better designed for live performance, but unlike Gadget, you're limited to one sound at a time. Neither gives you a multi-timbral setup optimized for live performance. It looked to me like Gadget can work if you're going to assign 16 sounds to the 16 channels, and just leave them that way (mixing and matching via the MIDI capabilities of your controller, or possibly with something like iMidiPatchbay as I mentioned), and that could be sufficient in some cases, but there's basically no way to easily access more than 16 of its sounds for the gig. Module gives you access to a much wider range of sounds, but only one a a time. Pick your poison...

if you need more (and especially if you need to route from one app to another), you can look at AUM, AudioBus 3, and ApeMatrix. I'd be curious myself if anyone could really speak to the differences among those three specifically from the perspective of live performance.

As would I, being late to this party. Thanks, Scott.

Here for the gear.

So, I have Ivory piano for Module. Can I access it through Gadget? Would I be able to use something like Audiobus in conjunction with Gadget to set up splits and layers?

A bit of research turned up a homemade tutorial on accessibility of Modules sounds in Gadget.

and Im assuming you ought to be able to do shitsngiggles in Gadget as well.

Can anyone chime in here?

With Audiobus you need a small companion app called Midispltter - although I havent gone there yet.

Here for the gear.

I'm not familiar with Gadget, but I always thought that's how people use various configurations for Korg Module instruments.

According to the video Drawback posted, it's possible to load different instruments on different tracks and then use a midi controller to trigger them over different channels. In that case, you should be able to create zones on your midi controller, set a different channel to each zone and go from there.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Except my controller is dumb so I need to set up zones on the app itself.

Audiobus 3 or MIDIFlow. Either will do what you want, and give you FAR more flexibility than using a single app.

Edited to include Camelot Pro in that list, although I haven't used it yet, so no idea how mature/stable it is. The pedigree is definitely there, given the fact that AudioModelling.com is involved along with Roli, so I expect great things. :2thu:

OK, is it possible to set up a multitimbral, multi zone setup with Gadget?

Multitmbral, yes. but (AFAIK) no zoning. But you should be able to add zoning with iMidiPatchbay or KeyStage (since you also don't have that ability in your controller).

Is Camelot iOS closer to what youre looking for?

Wow! Camelot Pro looks really good. Is anyone using it yet? I'd love to hear about it.

It looks like it could do what you want IF you choose iOS sound apps that function as Audio Unit v3 plugins. I believe Module/Gadget do not.

Audiobus 3 or MIDIFlow. Either will do what you want, and give you FAR more flexibility than using a single app.

I think Audiobus 3 requires compatible apps as well, so again, I think that lets out using Module/Gadget as sound sources under its control. But MIDIflow should work for those, if need be.

I think Audiobus 3 requires compatible apps as well, so again, I think that lets out using Module/Gadget as sound sources under its control. But MIDIflow should work for those, if need be.

I'll just leave this here...

46309270591_7aef81b9a7_c.jpg

AudioBus 3 with Korg Gadget, Korg Module, and NeoSoul Keys by Sven Golly, on Flickr

I'll just leave this here...
Just loaded Audiobus, it's talking to Ravenscroft and Module

Good to know Module/Gadget are Audiobus compatible. I guess the complaints I saw about the Korg stuff not being compatible with another environment was about AUv3. You still need Gadget if you want to play more than one Module sound at a time, right?

There is a support function on the web page but theres no manual I could see. Just faq and forum. Click within the app for the user manual.

Unless its time to change my contact lenses.

Here for the gear.

Archived