Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electrical GuRu Assistance Required

hardware

Ive got a Strymon R300 that has an extra rail that has 9/12 and 18 volt Option with 500 mA.

Ive got the Radial Key Largo and would love to use a short cable from it to the Strymon.

Key Largo uses a 260mA, 15VDC (center pin positive).

Strymons extra option output provides selectable 9V, 12V, or 18V DC, with center negative polarity.

500mA of available current at 9V, 375mA at 12V, and 250mA at 18V.

Is there any kind of adapter I could use that would draw the proper current necessary from the Strymon to run the Key Largo.

Thanks.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would have to use the 18V rail, as the others are too low voltage. It supplies 250mA and the KL wants 260mH max, so it would be close.

If the KL needed to pull its max current for a sustained period of time, the Strymon might be stressed. Also supplying 18V when it wants 15V might cause some extra heat.

IOW, it would probably work, but who knows long term?

Moe

---

IOW, it would probably work, but who knows long term?

Err...I think you missed the part about one device using center pin positive and the other negative. I'm not aware of an adapter to reverse the center pin polarity (Maybe I should add that to my product line :idea: ). Also I can't tell if the R300 power outputs are regulated or not. So maybe 18V or maybe 21V?

Even if you modify the pin polarity unless Radial says they can handle more than 15V ...don't.

Edit: I missed that the R300 supplies 10mA less at 18V than the Radial requires. You have a chance of frying both units.

[...] Is there any kind of adapter I could use that would draw the proper current necessary from the Strymon to run the Key Largo.

Polarity reversal cables are available from Strymon and other sources.

https://store.strymon.net/polarity-reversal-cable-2-5mm/

The Key-Largo doesn't run directly on 15 volts, it has an internal voltage converter. That provides 24 volts (+/- 12 volts) to its circuits. In terms of power, a 15V 260mA supply can source 3.9 Watts. The Strymon Zuma R300 can source 4.5 Watts at 12V or 18V - theoretically sufficient power for the Key-Largo.

The question is whether the Key-Largo's internal switching supply can sufficiently upconvert 12V, or can deal with 18V. I suggest that's something to ask Radial Engineering about. It would be interesting to see if they'll reply with useful information, rather than something like "usage of other than the 15V unit we provide will void the 3-year warranty".

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Thanks guys, the advice is appreciated and Ill post back.

Radial has really unique power supplies like the Largo, but Space Heater looks like Martian MIDI or shit.

Theyre freaky geeky so theyll know whats up.

Cheerz

Hmmmmm,

Could I use this thing to power my Yamaha MOXF, MX, and mixer and get rid of my wall warts?

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

Hmmmmm,

Could I use this thing to power my Yamaha MOXF, MX, and mixer and get rid of my wall warts?

Without even knowing what your mixer requires, no. Both the MOXF and the MX need 12 volts, and each at much higher current than the Strymon unit can deliver.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Radial Support was fast and far more than I expected.

I guess buying a couple Space Heaters helped too.

Heres a video explaining how the Strymon R300 could handle this.

OTOH Im always buying new higher quality wal warts that allow me to have a spare. Jameco dot com is a one stop shop.

For example the custom wal wart for my HX-3 is tiny and doesnt block outlets on my SurgeX.

Seems they make a power supply for the Key Largo that is also a square tube that doesnt block outlets.

Sure was fun learning about voltages and current.

If you need any really customized PSUs check out Jameco.

Its a good habit getting a spare immediately for any of this gear using the hideous Wal Wart lumps.

Thanks guys

Archived