Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Linnstrument....

KorgyPorky

I am reallly interested in the linnstrument..

Would like to try it, to see how much effort it will cost for a keyboardist to switch to..

Sadly i can not find any shops at all in Holland that have one on display..

The price is just to high to justify buying it witouth extensive testing..

I have read extensive reviews, and comparrisons with the continuum and seaboard..

And i think the linnstrument, offers more in combination with keyboards then the other 2..

Sadly this also explains why linnstrument gets much less attention then the seaboard..

You can find a seaboard in every other shop.. but the linnstrument is nowhere to be found

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am reallly interested in the linnstrument..

Would like to try it, to see how much effort it will cost for a keyboardist to switch to..

Sadly i can not find any shops at all in Holland that have one on display..

The price is just to high to justify buying it witouth extensive testing..

I have read extensive reviews, and comparrisons with the continuum and seaboard..

And i think the linnstrument, offers more in combination with keyboards then the other 2..

Sadly this also explains why linnstrument gets much less attention then the seaboard..

You can find a seaboard in every other shop.. but the linnstrument is nowhere to be found

What are some of the best YouTube vids that would spark our enthusiasm for this controller?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I watched a demo at NAMM 2 years ago. STILL want one.

Yup, I remember Tony. I not only want one, but would want to be able to get around on it half way decent. For me it's a totally new instrument since I don't play guitar which it is supposedly more like as far as note locations. In reality it would not get all that much use once the novelty wore off. Reminds me I should pick up my melodica and play it.

For the right person I think the Linnstrument is a wonderful controller - worth every penny. But not for me, I'm still learning keyboard tabs.

What are some of the best YouTube vids that would spark our enthusiasm for this controller?

Emulating acoustic instruments

[video:youtube]flKMz9UmqAw

And an explanation how

[video:youtube]imwt_YvpcrY

A performance unreachable on a tradtional keyboard..

[video:youtube]XKGBlte_ilc

Or even controlling a non mpe capable synth, can be be really expressive..

[video:youtube]UUftsMLaGsg

And offcourse Jordan Rudess first hands on with the linnstrument

[video:youtube]IXstNdIEGPw

And one more, just the latet linnstrument videeo posted..

[video:youtube]NnN2xki-tLs

I tried but could not connect with the Seaboard. I think because it looks so much like a keyboard my brain has trouble breaking away from the standard method of playing. I ended up buying a Linnstrument. It is a different instrument, but I know that going in and I connect to it much better. For me it was a good choice.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have both the Roli Rise and Linnstrument. I still find the Roli easier to get around on, but feel like the Linnstrument is a better, more well thought out piece of gear.

It is not hard to get up to speed on the Linnstrument to the point of playing simple melodies and the like, and easier to control vibrato and pressure. Playing chords on the Roli, is WAY easier if you're a keyboardist, for obvious reasons.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Playing chords on the Roli, is WAY easier if you're a keyboardist, for obvious reasons.

Initially it looks like this.. and it was the reason i didnt pay much attention to the linnstrument at first..

But, as ingave it more attention, it seemed to me that espescially the chords are so much easier then on a keyboard.. there is just a single habdform for each chord..no matter the root, a major seven chord is allways the same form of hand. Same goes for normal major and minor chords.. if you know one major chord, you know then all..this needs that for 96% of all movements all you need to find is the 12 notes and 6 handforms..

The way stringed instruments work makes things like transposinga songbfor 2 semi notes a breeze..

I think for anything but the classic keyimstruments, the linnsrument might be a better solution then the traditional keybed or even the seaboard rise, which just feels to moldy and organic for my taste despite its traditional layout.. and for keyimstruments, in general the piano keybed is also much better then te seaboard for playing classical piano..

I dont think anyone will try and play Rachmaninov on either of them... both seem equally suited for winds/brass and most other monophonic instruments... but where it comes to stringed instruments, percussion and drums.. the linnsrument might have its nose in front of the wellknown competition..

I contacted roger Lynn, amd he offered to arrange a meeting for me with a linnstrument player in Holland, so i could try for myself.. which is an incredible service unknown to any other companies i know.. so far they sold 1700+ linnstruments and they still know all the owners..

I have both the Roli Rise and Linnstrument. I still find the Roli easier to get around on, but feel like the Linnstrument is a better, more well thought out piece of gear.

It is not hard to get up to speed on the Linnstrument to the point of playing simple melodies and the like, and easier to control vibrato and pressure. Playing chords on the Roli, is WAY easier if you're a keyboardist, for obvious reasons.

I purchased geoshred on the ipad, just after posting my first response..

It uses almost the same layout as limnstrument..

I can see now how playing 4 tone chords like 7th chords with 1 hand can become a problem.. felt like my fingers playing twister sometimes....

I contacted roger Lynn, amd he offered to arrange a meeting for me with a linnstrument player in Holland, so i could try for myself.. which is an incredible service unknown to any other companies i know.. so far they sold 1700+ linnstruments and they still know all the owners..

OK now you're pissing me off as I love products where you have a relationship with the designer/developer. :mad::cheers:

I can see now how playing 4 tone chords like 7th chords with 1 hand can become a problem.. felt like my fingers playing twister sometimes....

Like any other instrument, there are things that fall naturally and things that don't. Once you know your triads, you can cover any 7th voicing with the root played by your left hand - or omitted.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Like any other instrument, there are things that fall naturally and things that don't. Once you know your triads, you can cover any 7th voicing with the root played by your left hand - or omitted.

Thats not a problem.. playing triads is pretty much straightforward.. its easy to play any chord with 2 hands...

Maybe i am to much keyboardist, trying to play piano arrangements (Both hands) on an instrument with such a layout..

Archived