Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals?

jeffincltnc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My other hobby (actually one of them) is aquaria...luckily, not salt water, but the costs can still take away from music....

Not black friday, but I just discovered it: massdrop....it's a group buying site. One of the most popular "drops" is for the Sennheiser hd650 headsphones, $199 vs $330 or so as the cheapest I can find anywhere else brand new. I'm on headphones a lot, and these would be a big step up for mixing phones vs my closed-back hd280s....

The Cinepiano link is broken. Was it at a steeper discount than the fairly small discount on offer at well-known resellers like Best Service and Time+Space (or maybe it was Kontakt Hub; I forget which)?

Some of these sales simply might have expired now that it's no longer Friday in Europe. :-) Also, I went directly to websites of twelve vendors who have products I'm interested in -- all European -- and none are having sales (or extensive ones). I guess they're not too cued to our holiday calendar.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Steinberg sent out an email earlier today with very good pricing on several products, including WaveLab (even the Pro edition) -- which I had already bought earlier this year. Unfortunately no discount on the Cubase 10 upgrade, or on Dorico (notation software).

As mentioned earlier though, HALion is on sale. Also though, their pianos VI, and the orchestra product. I always delete my HALion and EXS24 libraries when I buy products and only hang onto ENGINE, Kontakt, and UVI Workstation versions, but maybe by now the core HALion library is worth it at half price? I'll see if I can find demos and full descriptions of the world instruments in case they cover stuff that others have still missed.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Eric, thanks for the reminder that Cyber Monday is more of the target date for software sales.

Also, you mentioned the Impact Soundworks sale earlier. Be aware that Shreddage 3 is coming soon, but on another forum they said that you'll do better price-wise by going ahead and buying Shreddage 2 libraries now as the upgrade differential will be less, as a loyalty bonus.

I have a few of those and they're quite good, and definitely in the top three vendors for traditional guitars and bass (as is Orange Tree Samples), but I am resisting the temptation to spend any more money on sample libraries for stuff I actually know how to play adequately. But I do use the Shreddage libraries a lot during the mock-up stage, while arrangements and details are still wildly in flux, as it's a time-saver and VERY close to a real-world timbre and feel, so I highly recommend these products.

I think Orange Tree Samples has a giant sale too, at their site. I own every single product they make, so I didn't have incentive to check. There are so many now that it's hard to know which one or two to recommend to someone just starting with them. The general rule though, is that the more recent, the better programmed and the easier to work with and get musical results. So the new Tele library falls into that statement quite neatly.

Thanks for fixing the CinePiano link. That's a better price than I saw earlier this week. I'm torn, because it looks like it might not have enough features, but I'll see if I can find a user manual to download as it sounds for jazz like it might at least be in the top five. Pretty happy with what I've got, but sometimes you need a very specific sound, and this one has it.

UPDATE: There is adequate information at the Cinesamples site -- the product info at reseller sites was quite minimal. It does look fairly full-featured with repedaling and the like. The only thing I see which seems to be entirely missing is sympathetic strings, but that may simply fall under the general resonance category.

I have always liked the demos for this piano better than the popular Piano in Blue, so after reviewing my current piano tracks tonight on a jazz album I'm wrapping up, I may purchase CinePiano. I've been moving away from Ravensburger a bit, but not all of those songs work well on Soniccouture Hammersmith or Galaxy Vintage D, and Embertone Walker is still unusable for jazz until they release the half-pedaling update.

I was all set to buy Cinepiano and then I just couldnt resist Scarbee :laugh:

I find Ravenscroft so incredibly versatile... so theres todays decision made.

If you go for it, your reviews are always respected and appreciated :wink:

Here for the gear.

Congrats -- I suspect there will be a lot of happy campers here, as so many of the products that have been lusted after for so long, are now within financial reach -- although maybe not all at the same time. :-)

You'd think being a piano guy I'd have a million top-selling piano VIs, but I really don't. I found one I really liked years ago (Alicia's Keys), bonded with it and have played it ever since. I toyed with switching to The Giant, but I wasn't happy with how it mixed in a live rock setting, though I use it carefully in studio sessions. I know it's pretty much old hat by now, and there's much better out there, but it's home to me.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Can't remember if this has been linked yet, but Audio Plugin Deals has a fantastic day-by-day sale that keeps adding new product suites at blowout prices every eight hours.

https://audioplugin.deals/?utm_source=APD%20Subscribers&utm_campaign=30853c838b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_13_02_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_766211a9e5-30853c838b-39554565&mc_cid=30853c838b&mc_eid=fda266d94a

I don't know if that link will work for non-subscribers, but if you navigate directly to their site, hopefully the sales will show up. otherwise, sign up ASAP.

In case the content is blocked, the sale items so far include Sampletekk, Impact Soundworks, Embertone, and Soundiron. I own everything that's been put on offer so far, but probably paid more as some of this stuff is marked down by 86%.

Thanks! Nothing yet that totally jumps out at me, but I'll keep checking. I have looked at Embertone in the past, but I'm so far from doing classical string work at the moment, it's hard for me to really think about, and i'm loving SWAM so much, that I'll probably pick up the rest of the instruments eventually and go that route.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I'm torn between getting myself a $500 Deepmind 12 or a nice fly tying kit. Totally different wormholes of my personality, but I don't want to get both at once.

Don't get started! If I was not a fly tier, I could afford a Nord Stage, Prophet X, and probably a Moog One to tie it all together.

its an unfortunate inevitablilety that I've not yet taken the step for. I've liked watching fly tying videos since long before I was a fly fisherman or keyboard player. Now that I'm full on into fly fishing I absolutely can't not, I know the creative process of it will be incredibly mentally reqarding... but yeah, its a new venue of GAS that I've been afraid to step into.

Pretty crazy deal, if you need high quality fx and a bunch of synths.

https://reverb.com/software/instruments/reverb/3567-soundtoys-5-effect-rack-arturia-v-collection-6

Soundtoys on it's own is 250 when it's half off....same with the Arturia collection. Both together for 299 is outstanding. I'd jump on it myself if I need the Soundtoys stuff, but honestly it isn't really a need considering all the plugins that come with Logic.

I got the Scarbee ep88s, that'll likely be it.

I did an interesting experiment. I have been smitten by the repro 5 demo...but I know I haven't really put the Logic synths through their paces by a long shot. In other words, G.A.S. and (maybe) not a true need. So I took one of the excellent, less-complex repro sounds and set about making it with "Retro Synth" from logic.

This was at first not successful...the repro sound was way punchier and wider. Then I realized that the effects in Repro (which are outstanding, and would warrant purchase as a plugin IMO) were adding a lot to the sound. I used logic plugins (and one 3rd party saturation one I had) in the channel to emulate what the Repro patch had: chorus, tape saturation, a "sonic maximizer" (exciter). Lo, the Retro patch sounded much closer.

Now, was it as "good", as smooth in the filter sweep etc? No, if you stripped down both sounds to their essence, Repro sounded better, but it wasn't night and day, it was subtle....but the Logic synth certainly sounded very good even on its own (let alone in a mix). I still really would like to get Repro as I love the Prophet sound, but the experiment showed me I need to really dig into the tools I already have :D And then there's Alchemy....

Not a Black Friday sale, but someone on eBay is selling a Fusion 8HD in an SBK hardshell case for $300, plus $100 shipping. Great deal if youre into this sort of thing.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Got the Phat analog series from Peter Krishner at easy sounds discounted 33% today for my Yamaha montage. :-)

Just for yourself, do you find these superior to what comes with the Montage? and are they different enough from each other to justify all three?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Peter Krischker does good sound libraries at Easy Sounds, as does Vengeance Sound. Back when I still had DAW's and the like, I used their libraries a lot, along with those from my friend Dave Polich. All three of them were involved in factory patches as well, from SY77 and CS6 days forward. But the aftermarket patches are significantly more varied and deeply programmed and do not automatically apply the effects that are designed to sell in the store. Some of their sounds got pulled into the main sets over the years, as kind of a sampler of what else is available.

UPDATE: The special does not include shipping, which adds another $69.99. Tax brought the total to $1,200.43.

Guitar Center has the Electro-Voice ELX200-12P 12" Powered Speaker Pair with Stands and Power Strip for $1,062.49. Regular price was $1,249.99. The price is less than the ELX200-10P. Website says sale ends in 3 days. Anyone heard this new version of the ELX series?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Voice/ELX200-12-Powered-Speaker-Pair.gc

Hammond A3 . Leslie 3300w . MODX

I have a pair of the ELX200's. I like then a lot -- they sound better than my old QSC K12's. They're less harsh at higher volumes.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Archived