Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Kronos vs old Kronos

MrVegas

Played athe latest iteration of the Kronos tonight and it had LOTS of sounds that my older version has. Is it possible to upgrade my Kronos (at least five or six years old) so that it has the same sounds as the new one?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I *think* you can add the Berlin Grand and other stuff to the old one for a price (purchased firmware I think). Hopefully an actual Kronos owner can chime in here.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This will get you there. The new samples and new programs found in the Kronos2.

https://shop.korg.com/Kronos/Promo-KORG1

You might want to wait a few days and see if it's on a BF sale. In the meantime, you can download the demos of the new sample libraries (EXs17, EXs18) and give them a spin. If you decide to buy, all you need to do is apply the authorization codes and the demo turns into the real thing. You cannot demo the new programs/combis (KRS07-Sound Pack 3: 256 Programs, 32 Combinations, 13 Wavesequences, 1 Set List).

Busch.

Needless to say, you'll want to be on the latest OS. Also you may want to upgrade your memory to fit everything if you choose to fully load all the sounds. Finally, the patch/combi locations have changed.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This will get you there. The new samples and new programs found in the Kronos2.

https://shop.korg.com/Kronos/Promo-KORG1

You might want to wait a few days and see if it's on a BF sale. In the meantime, you can download the demos of the new sample libraries (EXs17, EXs18) and give them a spin. If you decide to buy, all you need to do is apply the authorization codes and the demo turns into the real thing. You cannot demo the new programs/combis (KRS07-Sound Pack 3: 256 Programs, 32 Combinations, 13 Wavesequences, 1 Set List).

Busch.

Busch, I've been eyeing these for the past 2 months. Hopefully there might be a sale, I'm in no rush at this point.

I have a X - I couldn't find the pdf with the patch list a few months back and downloaded from the korg site, and - wait a minute - these are not the lists that's on my Kronos? :blush: Yeah, very late the game.

While on topic, did download the banks that you made with the 'cover' sounds. Absolutely amazing and I'm having a blast playing them. Going back to the tunes and learning the signature parts.

Thank you for making these available!

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

To clarify, the " new " sound pack was offered on Jan 29, 2015.

Close to 4 years ago.

I think it was introduced at the same time as the K2- giving us original

K owners the chance to have the same sounds as the K2.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

What's the latest OS?

I believe it's still 3.1.2 which has been out for about a year and a half.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Finally, the patch/combi locations have changed.
From what I have read this initially caused those who added the K2 sounds some headaches (e.g., Combis containing the wrong programs). The good news, IIRC, is that one of the more recent OS updates re-mapped the programs so the Combis would play nice.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have another question before I upgrade to the new sample libraries and KRS07, I wanted to ask a question. About a month ago I copied some new Combi's into my old Kronos. They are stored in one or two of the User Banks. Should I delete those from the user banks before I upgrade? Does the upgrade utilize any of the User Banks?

I have another question before I upgrade to the new sample libraries and KRS07, I wanted to ask a question. About a month ago I copied some new Combi's into my old Kronos. They are stored in one or two of the User Banks. Should I delete those from the user banks before I upgrade? Does the upgrade utilize any of the User Banks?

Well, do a full backup before you upgrade. With the new Sound Pack loaded, it should provide the following User Program Banks as empty: U-G, U-CC thru U-GG. I can't be certain if when you upgrade is overwrites what you have in, e.g. U-CC, with empty programs or just ignores it and leaves whatever you have intact. I believe it's the later.

Also, everything at the store is now 33% off.

Busch.

• 1 month later...
OK, I finally got off my lazy ass to install EXx17 etc that I purchased a month ago. My board is a little old and has only 2GB of RAM. When I installed it the installation went fine, but when I got to the step of Loading the EXs17 sounds and samples, I ran into a memory problem. I tried to free up some memory using tips in the installation manual, and still don't have enough memory. Bottom line, I think I am just going to add additional RAM. Has anybody done this? If you do this, do you have to completely re-load all the Kronos software or does it remember that it is a Kronos?

There's a ton of stuff out there. Here is a link to the korg forum that includes guidance on selecting ram as well as installation procedure.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67647

Dan

I've had the original Kronos 61 for many years. A few months ago, I purchased a brand new K2 88 from Sweetwater. It gave me start up failure errors from time to time. Sent it back for a new replacement. The 2nd one had a Eb2 sticky key. It gave me the same error messages a lot. Sent it back for yet another replacement. This time I asked SW to actually open the box and test it for sticky keys...etc before sending it to me. I've had the 3rd one for about a week now. I haven't really used it that much. Hopefully this one won't throw tantrum like the other two. If it does it again, they'll have to figure it out.

I'm not a DIY type of person, so I would much rather pay the top $ for a new one and let the company deal with issues.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I'm considering purchasing a Kronos.

I wonder what the benefit would be of buying an older, used one and upgrading as above; or just getting a new one.

Just sold my original Kronos 61. Still have a new model 61 and 73. The response is a bit slower on the early models. One thing you want to avoid is an early model weighted model because of the trigger issues.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived