Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthplex!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a cool event, too bad I'm on the wrong coast. Love that cannibalized Oberheim EVS with black panels.

You come out for NAMM, though. :poke::D

They're doing all sorts of things at this event. For some reason, I feel like there's some way to work a KC gathering into this.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Looks like a cool event, too bad I'm on the wrong coast. Love that cannibalized Oberheim EVS with black panels.

You come out for NAMM, though. :poke::D

OK you can stop twisting my arm *OW* :D

Last NAMM show I attended was 2016 and since then I have been busy with aging parents in long term care, and it took me all year to empty their fully furnished house. It's a pretty time consuming exhausting job and I'm looking forward to getting my life back and get to events like SynthPlex or KnobCon or GearFest.

• 4 months later...
Do folks outside LA know about this? Do folks in the LA area know about this? :idk:

Synthplex, March 28-31, 2019

Sounds like it'll be packed with geeky goodness...

dB

It's looks like it will be quite the shindig and as it's local, I'm planning to be there at least 2 of the 3 days.

Michael Boddicker is very involved with the event, and bringing a lot of his classic gear for 'hand on' access in the Pop Up Synth Museum. It's a separate ticket, well worth the extra $22 to the support the Children's Music Fund.

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

I've never been to this particular event. I found out about Synthplex recently through a Facebook post. Looks like they sell tickets....and even do education passes at discounted rates. I'll definitely check it out, even though I'm not a hardcore synth geek.

By the way, if you live in Los Angeles, there's another smaller event coming up. I think it's called 'Imsta Festa'.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Looks like this is geared more towards the electronic music genre? Doesn't mean that all that gear could/would be applicable for the Rhodes / Wurli / Clav / Hammond crowd. Looks forward to show reports. Hopefully folks are experimenting with ultralight controllers? 76 / 88 key boards < 10 lbs?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Michael Boddicker is very involved with the event, and bringing a lot of his classic gear for 'hand on' access in the Pop Up Synth Museum.

Michael is basically driving the event. It's a major labor of love for the brother. :cool:

Lemme see if I can get him to swing by the forum to say hey and answer questions about the show.

By the way, if you live in Los Angeles, there's another smaller event coming up. I think it's called 'Imsta Festa'.

IMSTA Fest is software only, I believe. It happens every year in a few cities.

dB

IMSTA Fest is software only, I believe. It happens every year in a few cities.

dB

Not really. I attended IMSTA FESTA last year, and they had synths, controllers, mics, headphones, audio interfaces, some DJ hardware and then software of course. It is a relatively small one day event. At least that's how it was in Los Angeles last year.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Not really. I attended IMSTA FESTA last year, and they had synths, controllers, mics, headphones, audio interfaces, some DJ hardware and then software of course. It is a relatively small one day event. At least that's how it was in Los Angeles last year.

Interesting, considering it's run by the Xchange Market folks.

dB

I've heard about Synthplex since last fall. I'll definitely go, though I don't know for how many days.

I'll probably miss IMSTA Festa this year, but I went a couple years ago, it's basically a micro-NAMM show.

Interesting. For those of us who cannot go, any live media coverage? Simulcast?

I believe there will be a decent amount of that.

I spoke with Michael Boddicker. He's going to try to pop by the forum and is happy to answer questions about it.

He told me today Junkie XL is going to be there. :cool:

dB

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I would be really tempted to attend... and have the opportunity to get my hands on the ONDOMO. The Ondes Martenot is one of my favorite electronic instruments of all time, and the fact that this Japanese gentleman has designed a modern version of it got me really excited. I could even order one! :freak::)

Wow, I would be really tempted to attend... and have the opportunity to get my hands on the ONDOMO. The Ondes Martenot is one of my favorite electronic instruments of all time, and the fact that this Japanese gentleman has designed a modern version of it got me really excited. I could even order one! :freak::)

Come on over! You're more than welcome to stay with me...

dB

Come on over! You're more than welcome to stay with me...

dB

You're too kind. Realistically, though, too many logistical hindrances. And also, once I would get to play the Ondomo, I could *really* be taken by extreme GAS and buy one! (my understanding is that the guy only delivers them face-to-face, no shipping)

Better not feed the Tempter... :D:evil::D

Archived