Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond drawbars 'How Sweet It Is To Be Loved' Junior Walker

jwrhold

Hi,

The 9 piece band I'm in play the Junior Walker version of the song 'How sweet it is to be loved by you'.

This song is sax and organ heavy, and I've spent plenty of time trying to get the drawbars, chorus and rotary right, however I never seem to be happy with it!

I'm using a Hammond XK3c with a Neo Vent II through a pair 12" powered PA speakers.

If anyone has any suggestions for this song and how they hear it, I would welcome your suggestions.

I have been trawling the net and only really found one suggestion, however it was a bit vague and didn't quite do it for me.

Hoping there is someone out there who can help!

jwrhold

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What have you tried? Do you know what you're not liking about it?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A lot of time his guy played on a Model C or C3 with no Leslie and ran the organ dry, at least that's the sound in Shotgun. There is a video of it live him playing through a 31H also:

[video:youtube]

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm also curious what you've tried. I'm just listening and haven't had a chance to sit down in front of an organ to experiment, but it doesn't sound like too out-there a drawbar setting to me... maybe the first three or four stops full out? Sounds like the chorus is doing most of the heavy lifting tonally, to the point where I can't tell if it's actually going through a Leslie at all. I'm sure someone else has a strong opinion about that!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Archived