Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bon Jovi BAD MEDICINE keys sound

kingy75

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a DX7 patch thats imitating a Clavinet D6. It would probably be in ROM 3A. It could also be a D-50 or M1, seeing how this was released in 1988.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Not sure what David used on the original. When I sat in with a Bon Jovi tribute a couple months ago, I layered Tines EP, and a Clav sound.

I use Mainstage. Once I tweaked them with some slight flange, it sounded good.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I think there's an electric grand and synth strings patch in there too. But the effects do a lot of the heavy lifting on this one.

Agree - throw on a distorted / overdrive amp effect and a range of different clean sounds going into it will all come out sounding pretty close. I use a distorted guitar layered with a basic debunked JP Saw type synth sound that also runs through an overdrive amp effect.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Opening the track in Ableton Live, the intro and break appear to be sequenced at 119.5, but once things get rolling tempo gets very fluid ;) - particularly after drum fills.

Don't know how this was recorded, but it's a bit unusual for a pop track in 1988 to not sync up - if nothing else, for video editing purposes. I'm surprised they didn't at least record to a click. This was a band that lived for it's music videos.

As long as I've got it open, I might as well warp it I guess. I can use a warped version easier on 80s nights as a DJ.

Yeah anything is possible, but this is too possible for that! After the track wanders all over the place for over four minutes, the riff starts again precisely on the 1 at the break if I lay the whole track out on a 119.5 grid. And the riff's timing is so perfect...

I suppose it's possible it's a patch with a pulse LFO modulating the VCA... sounds more like a four bar sequence though.

When you analyze it, everything if free flowing except for the synth riff. But it's a perfect setup if it was running in the background the whole time. He could bring it back into the mix towards the end because the track comes to a complete halt.

And then it just starts again with the riff.

Ive studied all these songs for tribute replications, If i had an extra fiver sitting bored in my pocket, id bet he just played it (not LFOd or Arpd) and the band recorded to click tracks on the entire album. I doubt it was running the entire time in background and all they do was turn it on and off on the studio track. But I dont really know, just my guess.

i do know he chopped out the chords when New Jersey came out and the band was touring - and ever since as far as Ive seen. But there are reasons to just play the chords live vs programmed even if the studio was LFO controlled - removes a timing constraint on the entire band and its easy enough to play.

Hes chopping non-distorted piano type sound chords (5th octaves) throughout most of the song, its not just that riff that is a steady 4-4 chord chop.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Ive studied all these songs for tribute replications, If i had an extra fiver sitting bored in my pocket, id bet he just played it (not LFOd or Arpd) and the band recorded to click tracks on the entire album. I doubt it was running the entire time in background and all they do was turn it on and off on the studio track. But I dont really know, just my guess.

i do know he chopped out the chords when New Jersey came out and the band was touring - and ever since as far as Ive seen. But there are reasons to just play the chords live vs programmed even if the studio was LFO controlled - removes a timing constraint on the entire band and its easy enough to play.

Hes chopping non-distorted piano type sound chords (5th octaves) throughout most of the song, its not just that riff that is a steady 4-4 chord chop.

^^^^

All of that. If they recorded to click it does not seem odd at all that he would be able to start the riff right on the downbeat after a breakdown (which is when that happens).

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Well there you have it. If anyone is going to be playing Bad Medicine in a band, you might as well do it the way David Bryan does it live - just play the riff.

As for me... if I'm going to use the original as a DJ, I need to warp it in Ableton - because other than the riff the tempo wanders all over the place. And that's what makes the track rather unique. I've probably warped over 100 songs (mostly pre-1988) and I can't recall seeing anything quite like it.

But I mentioned it mostly as a curiosity concerning something recorded 30 years ago. If you're doing the track today, you might as well do it the way Bon Jovi does it today - including dropping it to Eb :laugh:

Posting while waiting for the afternoon games to start. The 'Fins are getting blown out here - ugh.

Archived