Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Left brain, right brain: Try this out

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe. Sometimes I wonder whether the physical brain is really what determines how much we can know and how we process it... or whether it's more like a filter that LIMITS those things...

You need to head over to your local library or bookstore and pick a copy of Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception" sometime.

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Here's a question for you - draw a letter "O" in the air or on paper. Do you draw it clockwise or counterclockwise? Now the question - are you right or left handed?

I have a theory about that, but I'll save it until a few people try it and report back. ;)

Right handed anti, err, counter clockwise.

What's your theory Phil?

Here's a question for you - draw a letter "O" in the air or on paper. Do you draw it clockwise or counterclockwise? Now the question - are you right or left handed?

I have a theory about that, but I'll save it until a few people try it and report back. ;)

I draw the O counterclockwise and I'm right handed. No wonder I always look at the circle of fifths backwards! :D

As to the foot and six thing, I had to definately concetrate to keep my foot from changing directions, and I had to slow down. I'll have to have my wife and daughter give this a try.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Left brain, right brain... We are Dual Processor units!, but i think we are running windows, no real multitasking!!! hehehehe

www.logicprofiles.com

The most comprehensive Logic Files resource and sharing Portal.

(just started!)

SHARE:

Logic Icons

Templates

Environments

Channel Strips

Settings (with audio demo!)

Online Collaborations

Download LOGICONIZER!

I think that right handers who draw the 0's clockwise have strong left handed tendencies. I don't have much to base that on, except for some personal observations. Most people who are right handed draw 0's counter-clockwise... I believe many teachers instruct kids to do it that way when they're learning to write, so it might not really mean much, but OTOH, most of the (few) people I've met who do draw 0's clockwise have been people who have strong left handed tendencies, or who are somewhat ambidextrous.

I think you've hit on something, Phil. Most of us learned to write in cursive in 2nd-3rd grade and those rote lessons of yesterday are still etched into our memories. To see what I mean, click here

"Modern music is people who can't think signing artists who can't write songs to make records for people who can't hear."

-Frank Zappa

I asked this on the dog skateboard thread, but this thread might be a place for this question:

I wonder: If a dog was to raise his right rear paw and move it in a clockwise circular motion, and then take his right front paw and draw a six in the air, would he have trouble keeping his right rear paw going in a circular motion?

Would a right pawed dog draw his 0's clockwise or counterclockwise?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

did it with a minute of practice, but it was ugly!

What made it possible was to sync the size of the circle and rotation of the foot with the rotation of the hand, so the circle of the foot and loop of the six were similar sized and completed at the same time.

Phil- rt handed and counterclockwise!

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

It's really weird, when you think about the mechanical nature of the brain.

We're just really well-designed robots, if you think about these things closely.

- Jeff

It's a good metaphor to a point... An important difference is that we are "programmed" to reroute and grow new "wires" when info isn't getting through after damage- without conscious awareness of the process.

When a robot is able to grow it's own wires, we're in trouble!!!

I am dead meat. My foot stayed stable, my hand stayed stable. I tried it with the right foot and left hand, no different.

So, this test was not condusive to a failure or what was supposed to happen...so SINCE, I did it different than should have been, I failed.

Give me an F minus.

Perhaps I need to re-evaluate if I am normal or not. (I knew all along that I was not, now we have one level of proof)

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

I did it. No problem. It wasn't particularly coordinated but I didn't change directions. I tried drawing the 6 both from the top down and from the bottom up. No prob.

Me too!

I'm thinking I might have worked this out some time during drum practice, playing bass while singing, or tapping out polyrhythms... pass the goddamn butter!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

I am dead meat. My foot stayed stable, my hand stayed stable. I tried it with the right foot and left hand, no different.

So, this test was not condusive to a failure or what was supposed to happen...so SINCE, I did it different than should have been, I failed.

Give me an F minus.

Perhaps I need to re-evaluate if I am normal or not. (I knew all along that I was not, now we have one level of proof)

Wellsir, Mr. Bill Roberts,

Your sig says:

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Taking the quote and signature in mind and considering my experience as a Pilgrim all these 60 years. . .of wandering/wondering about...

Id say that you exhibit exactly the tendencies in this test that anyone perhaps should consider for selection of a highly qualified Precision Master !

Consider the drummers performance above as well.

Your results and self-evaluation hints posted here might just be an important side effect of your experience and craft.

You may have developed through use, a higher than usual ability to subconsciously FOCUS and cant turn it off.

I give you a B+ as candidate for my Mastering duties, provided your ears qualify as well.

And. . . considering normal in todays marketplace, you may also have an additional edge there also, being perhaps NOT normal.

Youre up to an A. . .

Course, anyone admitting to living in Florida after last summer could be just abnormal enough to be more well qualified. (?) (Craig qualifies, Yes).

Jury is still out on me. . . ;)

Hats Off. . .

Pilgrim

The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth.

- Andre Segovia

Having found and inadvertently bumped this thread, Id best-had-better answer the thread queries and since Philips has bearing on Craigs, Os come first. . . :cool:

I think that right handers who draw the 0's clockwise have strong left handed tendencies. I don't have much to base that on, except for some personal observations. Most people who are right handed draw 0's counter-clockwise... I believe many teachers instruct kids to do it that way when they're learning to write, so it might not really mean much, but OTOH, most of the (few) people I've met who do draw 0's clockwise have been people who have strong left handed tendencies, or who are somewhat ambidextrous.

I sincerely believe that laziness is a true virtue since the lazy dude will expend less energy, use less time and to do so, better plan any expenditure of energy. (and avoids do-overs like the plague.)

I also suspect that thinking is less energy consumptive and stressful than moving anything using other muscles.

And I have drawn a good share of Os in my few years.

Any action of an extended arm/hand is easiest to execute if the motion is inward. Thus, I draw circles/Os counterclockwise with my right hand AND clockwise with my left, and can do either, especially if it means not having to move my body around to address the situation (read lazy efficiency.

Phil, you are perhaps correct. I am quite ambidextrous, at least by intent. I was often instructed to never be one-handed, for many reasons by my Dad, who was the Master Machinist at The Duck in Lake Wales, Forida for many years (thats Donald Duck, now Floridas Choice. . .orange juice.)

Fathers Day always proudly reminds me of how like him I have become, at least in intention. He was a true Master.

Now that I have exposed myself as a lazy AND obsessive/compulsive person, on to Craigs hand-foot twirling thingy.

Originally posted by Anderton:

A friend sent this to me:

"This is one of the strangest things I have ever encountered. While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

"Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in

the air with your right hand.

Your foot will change direction and there's

nothing you can do about it."

So I tried it, and...yup, it changed direction. It took a lot of practice but I was finally able to keep my foot going clockwise.

Weird. Did the same thing happen to you?!?

I executed the maneuvers without much thought as I suppose I should have and of course, as soon as my right hand started drawing the 6, my leg/foot abruptly headed for reverse. I stopped it in mid-maneuver with the intent of trying it again. (Mentally noting that, its true of me too. :D )

Self-observant as I just happened to be during this, I noticed a small bump in my consciousness just before the leg/foot change. :bor:

The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth.

- Andre Segovia

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck, son of Peter:

I wonder: If a dog was to raise his right rear paw and move it in a clockwise circular motion, and then take his right front paw and draw a six in the air, would he have trouble keeping his right rear paw going in a circular motion?

Yes because he'd tip over to his right side and both right paws would be on the ground.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by Anderton:

While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles. "Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in

the air with your right hand.

Oh boy... I tried this and had NO PROBLEM doing it.

Now I know I'm weird! ;):D

Archived