Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Left brain, right brain: Try this out

A friend sent this to me:

"This is one of the strangest things I have ever encountered. While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

"Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in

the air with your right hand.

Your foot will change direction and there's

nothing you can do about it."

So I tried it, and...yup, it changed direction. It took a lot of practice but I was finally able to keep my foot going clockwise.

Weird. Did the same thing happen to you?!?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too, I'm one of those weird people that can rotate one hand forward and the other backwards at the same time, but ask me to play an melody and the bass line on keys and I'm lost! I think that's called "useless dog tricks". Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Kcbass:

Me too, I'm one of those weird people that can rotate one hand forward and the other backwards at the same time, but ask me to play an melody and the bass line on keys and I'm lost! I think that's called "useless dog tricks". Kcbass

My boss just demonstrated that he could do this trick yesterday.

Now you. :eek:

I couldn't do it without a LOT of thought. Like pretty much everyone else, I initially found my foot changing direction.

Here's a question for you - draw a letter "O" in the air or on paper. Do you draw it clockwise or counterclockwise? Now the question - are you right or left handed?

I have a theory about that, but I'll save it until a few people try it and report back. ;)

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Here's a question for you - draw a letter "O" in the air or on paper. Do you draw it clockwise or counterclockwise? Now the question - are you right or left handed?)

CouNtErcLoCkWIzE

LeFt hAnDed :freak:

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Right-handed, counter-clockwise.

And I too took a short while before i could control the foot from swinging the other way. Fun stuff. Note that you have no problem keeping the foot going clockwise when you do the "6" with the left (opposite0 hand.

Hmmm.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Right-handed, counter-clockwise.

Me too.

I can do the foot thing OK but I need to concentrate.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I had no problem whatsoever. Strange.

I saw a documentary about brain damage when I was a kid. One of the scenes from the movie stuck with me.

These experimenters had a patient with a severed corpus callosum, which is the bundle of nerves that connects the right and left hemispheres of the brain. He had no connection, so effectively he had two brains that could not communicate with each other. To demonstrate this, they had him close one eye and look at a picture of a house. They asked him what he was looking at. He said he had no idea. Then, they asked him to write down with his left hand what he was looking at. He wrote down, "house."

Originally posted by eljefe:

I saw a documentary about brain damage when I was a kid. One of the scenes from the movie stuck with me.

I saw that same thing, when I was a college student who was a psychology major before switching over to music. They only sever the corpus collosum as a possible solution to severe epilepsy. It's really weird, when you think about the mechanical nature of the brain.

We're just really well-designed robots, if you think about these things closely.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I couldn't do it without a LOT of thought. Like pretty much everyone else, I initially found my foot changing direction.

Here's a question for you - draw a letter "O" in the air or on paper. Do you draw it clockwise or counterclockwise? Now the question - are you right or left handed?

I have a theory about that, but I'll save it until a few people try it and report back. ;)

Counter, but I only do delicate things left handed, like writing. For power I'm right-handed. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

The foot and hand thing:

With right foot/hand, it took me several tries.

With left foot/hand, got it the first time with no trouble.

Regarding the "o" - counterclockwise, left-handed (although, being mostly ambidexterous, I can write with my right hand - that's also counterclockwise).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

The foot and hand thing:

With right foot/hand, it took me several tries.

With left foot/hand, got it the first time with no trouble.

Me too, except the opposite, can't do it with the left appendages at all (I'm right-handed). Wonder if I'd be able to drive a manual shift car in England?

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

So my wife and I were watching this show about the psychology of serial killers, and they talked about a similar exercise which none of the serial killers in this institution could do. I frightened my wife by being totally unable to do that exercise. :freak: (The difference is, they would become very frustrated and agitated over it).

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

It's really weird, when you think about the mechanical nature of the brain.

We're just really well-designed robots, if you think about these things closely.

Maybe. Sometimes I wonder whether the physical brain is really what determines how much we can know and how we process it... or whether it's more like a filter that LIMITS those things...

Archived