Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD-2000 vs Integra Sounds For someone who owns an RD-2000.

SteveO42

So for someone who already has an RD-2000 is adding the Integra to the stable worth it? It's pretty much impossible to compare soundlists from the webpage so I am asking for those that might own both Seems to me the RD-2000 includes the best of the Integra "bread and butter" sounds?

Advice?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, there is a diminishing return in copping an Integra if one already owns an RD-2000.

Surely, the Integra has more sounds but overall it's the same Roland sound to my ears.

I'd grab a rackmount XV or Fantom XR if I needed more Roland sounds than the RD-2000 provides.

Otherwise, I think the RD-2000 is an extremely capable DP with a very good variety of onboard synth sound to split and layer. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What other types of synth sounds do you need?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Seems to me the RD-2000 includes the best of the Integra "bread and butter" sounds?

I don't believe that to be the case. The Integra has SuperNatural Acoustic tones, SuperNatural Synth, a high quality PCM bank, the old XV-5080 sound set, plus the subsequent SRX expansions. Only a small percentage of these are on the RD2000.

I think most people feel the sonic high points are the SuperNatural Acoustic tones. In terms of SuperNatural Acoustic tones, my understanding is that the RD2000 has acoustic piano, electric pianos, clav, and tonewheel organ. (Maybe someone with an RD2000 can confirm that this is the extent of the SN sound set, as SN sounds are indicated with an SN in the display.) By comparison, Integra has those, plus:

acoustic bass

electric bass

acoustic guitar

ensemble strings

vibes

marimba

harp

sitar

accordions

harmonica

tympani

solo brass (trumpet, trombone, french horn, saxes, etc.)

winds (oboe, bassoon, clarinets, piccolo, flutes)

solo strings (violin, viola, cello)

elec guitar

glockenspiel, xylophone, tubular bells, steel drums

choirs

bagpipes

plus the additional SN instruments that can load into the virtual expansion slots (ethnic tones, and more in the way of brass, winds, acous/elec guitars and bass, brass)

So... not close at all. (The RD2000 also lacks the SuperNatural Synth, I believe.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just picked up an Integra-7, in addition to my RD-800, which lacks only the V-Piano engine and a few RD-1000 SN sounds in the RD-2000.

The RD-800 has 1100 tones to the Integras 6000. The SN pianos/EPs in the RD-800 outnumber those in the Integra-7 and the RD has more tone designer parameters for those sounds.

The RD has 3 insert effect stages for the four parts, compared to the Integras 1 MFX per part. The Integra does not have the new vintage effects present in the RD-2000.

The RD800 makes a good controller for the Integra, due to the 4 assignable knobs, which can be mapped to Integras SN acoustic parameters on CC 16-19.

RD800 also has a CC assignable button, which can be used to access the Integras SN acoustic alternate articulations 1-4 via CC 80-83.

One reason for the added Integra +RD is to double your SN/PCM polyphony.

You also have MFX per 16 parts on the Integra, and MFX only on the first 4 parts in the RD.

The Integra has 1000+ virtual analog tones, with no such engine in the RD. The 3 osc VA tones can use single-cycle DSP waveforms or a special set of 400+ PCM waves, for lots of hybrid possibilities, kind of like the KingKorg.

I got the Integra mostly for the SN acoustic tones and classic Roland rompler content from the XP/JV/XV and the SRX boards. The GM expansion bank seems kind of similar to the PCM sounds in the RD, but that is a small part of the overall content.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. So, when I first asked this question my feelings on augmenting my RD-2000 were as follows:

1. Not duplicate the BEST sounds. So we all know that quantity of sounds does not equal quality of sounds. The RD-2000 includes a lot of what I call "bread and butter" sounds. Basses, strings, pads etc. The Integra includes a gazillion of these but how many are really just filler sounds?

2. Bringing back the past and nostalgia for me. I've used tons of Roland gear over the years. Bought and sold most of it. So this is kind of a "last chance" for me to get all those SR boards I couldn't afford way back when.

3. Not wasting money on "Patch 999"... So what this means is just because a module includes 40 pad patches how many are really useful and how many are just fluff variations on Patch 100?

4. Buy it before it's gone. Hardware modules seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Maybe I should strike while I can?

Are there any other brands offering Integra level modules?

I haven't found any.

So in conclusion.

Great replies guys! I've learned a lot. Really mean that!

I think xp50Player hits my hitlist right on the head.

I have the same desires, concerns that he/she has.

And for me, his/her post is very educational.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. So, when I first asked this question my feelings on augmenting my RD-2000 were as follows:

1. Not duplicate the BEST sounds. So we all know that quantity of sounds does not equal quality of sounds. The RD-2000 includes a lot of what I call "bread and butter" sounds. Basses, strings, pads etc. The Integra includes a gazillion of these but how many are really just filler sounds?

That's my key point. If you think Roland's best acoustic instrument sounds are their SuperNatural Acoustic sounds, the Rd-2000 includes almost none of them. As I said, only acoustic piano, electric pianos, clav, and tonewheel organ. Nor does the RD-2000 have the SuperNatural VA synth. The overlap between the best of the RD2000 and the best of the Integra is pretty minimal, as I see it. Whether you have a need for all the things the Integra does better, I couldn't tell you.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That's my key point. If you think Roland's best acoustic instrument sounds are their SuperNatural Acoustic sounds, the Rd-2000 includes almost none of them. As I said, only acoustic piano, electric pianos, clav, and tonewheel organ. Nor does the RD-2000 have the SuperNatural VA synth. The overlap between the best of the RD2000 and the best of the Integra is pretty minimal, as I see it. Whether you have a need for all the things the Integra does better, I couldn't tell you.

Yes.. I didn't consider the technology of the sampling.

You are correct.

Archived