Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mainstage really paying off!

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I try anyway. :) Can you explain a little bit more about how you programmed the two keybed keys on your 88 so they could be used to switch setlist fwd and back. That was pretty cool IMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I try anyway. :) Can you explain a little bit more about how you programmed the two keybed keys on your 88 so they could be used to switch setlist fwd and back. That was pretty cool IMO.

Sure...

In layout mode create two buttons. Call one Prev and one Next

Then highlight the first one, and hit "Assign" hit the key on your keyboard you want for that button. Then do the same for the other.

Get out of layout mode and then verify they work as intended.

One thing in Mainstage, you will need to make sure to have the lowest note range in your patches above those notes, or else you will sound that note when trying to change patches :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• 5 months later...

Bumping this. Gigs are being rescheduled for the second half of this year, and there's talks of us rehearsing again in summer.

For my main band, I've only used my Nord Electro, and that's one of the reasons I like playing with them so much - it's a simple setup. Sometimes we do large ticketed gigs, sometimes we do festivals, sometimes we do dive bars - it's nice having an easy to set up rig. However, I'd like to add some extra sounds and layers. Nothing too much: strings, samples, synth beeps and boops, etc...I'll set it up so that the most important sounds are always coming from the Electro.

It'll be a fun little project getting it setup between now and summer, but I'm curious about live use; for you guys just using the headphone jack into the DI, how do you find it? Is it reliable? Would a single cable work, or would I be better using a 1/8inch - stereo (2 x 1/4 inch) jack lead? I could also bring my mixer out, which would have the added benefit of letting me seperate the organ volume from the piano using the Nord's split outputs, and it would mean on any given gig I'd always be giving the sound guy just 2 jacks for the whole thing. A lot more setup though, and it would take away some of the joy of the simple rig. Setting the laptop up and plugging an extra 2 cables in isn't a huge hassle, but the seperate mixer might be.

I really don't want to go down the route of bringing an audio interface. One of the Macbook USB slots is frazzled, so I truth be told I couldn't do that anyways.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The Mac's headphone output is fine if you just need stereo. Get the 1/8" stereo miniplug to two 1/4 inch TS plugs cable and you'll be all set. I plug in the 1/8" miniplug, then wrap the cable around a handle of my SKB laptop case to act as strain relief.

Also, take a look at the DSAN LSP-1 which plugs into the headphone output and gives you balanced XLR outs and easily accessible hard volume controls. Switchable between stereo or mono operation.

https://www.dsan.com/product/laptop-sound-port-stereo/

LSP-2b.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Mac's headphone output is fine if you just need stereo. Get the 1/8" stereo miniplug to two 1/4 inch TS plugs cable and you'll be all set. I plug in the 1/8" miniplug, then wrap the cable around a handle of my SKB laptop case to act as strain relief.

I concur. While my setup uses a Focusrite 18i20 3rdGen (due to some complex output routings) I carry a long 1/8" TRS Y cable that ends in two 1/4" TS plugs as a backup in case my rack goes FUBAR. I just run it thru my Radial PRO D2 DI.

I tested this out once on a small gig, and it worked just fine.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Okay, here's another question:

say I take a 1/8" jack from the Macbook headphone out to the Nord's monitor in. Now, unfortunately on the electro the monitor in only gets sent to the headphone out. Would I be able to use a 1/8" TRS Y cable with 2 1/4" jacks from the headphone out and put that into the DI/mixer? Or is that going to damage something?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3