Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Rd 800 to 2000upgrade

kram21

Would appreciate any suggestions on this- i play only at home- not a professional player unlike many of you on the forum; I play all genre- classical ragtime jazz pop blues-write my own stuff a "fusion of jazz and funk---JUNK!!!

mainly use these keyboards for the acoustic piano but i do like to play with Ep's organ strings etc ---like to make Noise

i have the 800 [and cp4]

are the V Pianos on the 2000 a significant upgrade over the supernatural ap's

are the remaining non acoustic piano sounds on the 2000 the same as the 800?

also any thoughts on the Korg Grandstage vs the Rd's especially with acoustic pianos---from what i have listened to online the GS apps have a very "rich" quality

thank you so much for ant comments

Mark

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the action on the RD 2000 is really good. The V pianos are good and sound better to me than the RD 800 pianos. They are more tweakable. All piano sounds are very subjective and someone else will have a different take for sure.

You can import all the RD 800 pianos into the RD 2000 from the Axial website. They also have vintage synth sounds and new organs that are pretty good.

I have a Kronos and I like the pianos on the RD 2000 better but very close.

Hope this helps!

The actions are similar - I find the 2000 to be a fraction of a fraction of a second slower to return to striking position. I do not know if it breaks in over time. Both are good stage pianos for bread and butter sounds. Me personally, I dont know that Id bother replacing a clean and working RD800 with a 2000. But if its for work, sure. Sell the 800 get a receipt, note the loss and keep receipt for the 2000. For at home, not professionally the 2000 is very nice looking, clean interface, why not?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I like the 800. I wouldn't bother unless you need a hardware based controller. If all you want is just the V piano sounds consider a copy of either Pianoteq 6 stage ($129) or a copy of Ravencroft 275.

But live I think live the 800 is fine. But I hate upgrading because in my world I have to reprogram everything. For home recording I use software pianos. Best sounds and I don't have to move the Kawai MP-8ii.... That damn thing is heavy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

PS - If I only played at home I would go totally software.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

All the RD-800 sounds are in the RD-2000 in the same tone numbers. You can load in RD-800 LiveSet combis and it is 100% retro compatable. The Axial expansions for the RD-2000 are the pianos from the RD700/600/500, some synth sounds and organ sounds, using the 2nd improved rotary effect added in the latest OS update.

I like the GrandStage pianos a lot. They are meaty and warm, more inline with a Nord. The Korg RH3 keybed is ancient & unimproved compared to the Roland, which has HD MIDI, escapement, ivory feel, wood trimmed keys, and 3 sensors per key. The RD-2000 also has 8 internal and 8 external parts to the GrandStages 2. The favorites recall is a lot more intuitive on the Grandstage, and overall much simpler operation.

are the V Pianos on the 2000 a significant upgrade over the supernatural ap's...also any thoughts on the Korg Grandstage

These things are pretty subjective. I agree with CEB, though, that if it's for home use only, I'd be inclined to go the software route. But if you want to stay with hardware, why not also consider Nord Piano 3/4, Kawai MP11/SE, Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha CP4?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What can I say, I like the Nord Piano sounds more than the Rolands, personally. I know it's not the very best action, but I don't like the current Roland piano actions as much as some people do, they just seem a bit "slow" to me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

thank you all very kind for the helpful opinions

which external programs do you like ;CEB mentions pianoteq and raven croft; i browsed their site and they r impressive

any others;Synthogy steinway D or their Fazioli

also do u just download into a laptop which i do not have

Dave- everyone does speak highly of Kawai MP11-would like to audition that one

I am in Lousiana- maybe i can get over to Dallas one day

I'm looking for a replacement for my RD-700 / RD-150 (gigging controller).. Currently looking at an RD-2000 because my experience with Roland products has been very good. No breakdowns. Compared to 2 Fatar based actions I had while touring which were broken every other date.. I'm tempted by the StudioLogic SL88 Grand but again Fatar action and I wonder about the quality.

As for the action in the RD-2000 vs the RD-700, same as RD-800 I believe, it's a notch above. Faster, key bounce is there and extremely smooth IMHO. If I had to describe the difference in one word it would be faster.

Would appreciate any suggestions on this- i play only at home- not a professional player unlike many of you on the forum; I play all genre- classical ragtime jazz pop blues-write my own stuff a "fusion of jazz and funk---JUNK!!!

mainly use these keyboards for the acoustic piano but i do like to play with Ep's organ strings etc ---like to make Noise

i have the 800 [and cp4]

are the V Pianos on the 2000 a significant upgrade over the supernatural ap's

are the remaining non acoustic piano sounds on the 2000 the same as the 800?

also any thoughts on the Korg Grandstage vs the Rd's especially with acoustic pianos---from what i have listened to online the GS apps have a very "rich" quality

thank you so much for ant comments

Mark

What do you think of cp4 and how it compares to the Roland? I just bought one and have been testdriving it for home practice for a week. I'm quite disappointed with it in almost all aspects. I'm seeing it gone soon and planning to buy a Roland again.

I love Michel Petrucciani.

From my very minimal exposure to CP4 and RD2000, I think the likely advantages of the CP4 are lower travel weight, a bit quicker feeling action, some better EPs, and maybe some better "rompler" sounds. Roland has advantages in organ, MIDI, splits/layers, real-time control.

Archived