Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sample Robot

Synthaholic

I just ran across this. Has anyone ever heard of it or used it? It will automatically auto-sample your MIDI instrument.

http://www.samplerobot.com/was.htm

SampleRobot is able to digitize any kind of instrument. When cloning MIDI gear, SampleRobot even works completely on its own. Just connect your instrument via MIDI and audio with your computer. SampleRobot will then "suck out" the sounds from the unit. If you like you can clone a whole synthesizer sound bank in one go. The good thing is that you can export your hardware instrument as various software sampler formats after the sampling process. You can play your new virtual instrument as if you would play your real instrument. Of course, you can clone the attack velocity characteristics of your original instrument as well. SampleRobot also enables you to transfer acoustic instruments and other instruments without MIDI very easily to the digital domain. User friendly, speedy and high quality - that's SampleRobot.

Fully automated "Cloning" of MIDI instruments

Fully automated "Cloning" of virtual instruments

Semi-automated "Cloning" of instruments without MIDI

Instant access to all instrumental sounds via software samplers

Work in other studios or on stage without carrying equipment

Mobile composing on a laptop computer with all original "hardware sounds"

Instant play: no wiring, no repairs, no loss of sounds

Perfect "Total Recall" for every session

Play monophonic instruments polyphonically

Convert audio sampling CDs into directly playable software instruments

Professional loop editing and Auto-Loop processing with WaveRobot

Including powerful premium Multi-Samples from famous synthesizers

Best value for money

Very easy to use

Big time saver

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it - it works as advertised. Auto looping mostly works - which is all that can be expected. Some sounds loop easily, some hardly at all - even with lots of manual work. I mostly don't loop. Hard drive space is cheap - even on SSD's. I just run samples longer than I would ever use and be done with it.

This is the best thing currently commercially available. Apple bought Keymatica many years ago, and they had the best program like this at that time. If you only need to sample for a Kronos, you can buy a Korg only version.

It saves a lot of time and does what it says. If you want to capture hardware synths in a format playable on Kontakt or a Kronos or something - this is your tool.

I have it - it works as advertised....

Glad to read this. I've been eyeing this the last few weeks since I bought a Kronos to replace my Laptop rig. There are a handful of things in Omnisphere, Kontakt and even my jv-2080 that I just can't get out of the Kronos.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Extreme Sample Converter also does the same thing, though it is quite fiddly and I find it difficult to use. I have used it to autosample programs I've created in various VSTs to bring into my Nord.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Apple bought Keymatica many years ago, and they had the best program like this at that time.

Redmatica, and I believe that functionality is now included with Logic.

ETA: Another program of this type is Sampllt.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the replies. I think its remarkable. There are a lot of old keyboards and racks I would love to have that arent worth the time to do traditionally. Its nice to know it actually works.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I mostly don't loop. Hard drive space is cheap - even on SSD's. I just run samples longer than I would ever use and be done with it.

Seems like this would be ideal with old drum machines. I have an Alesis DMPro that has some beautiful drums but the unit drives me batty so I never use it.

• 5 months later...

SampleRobot 6 Pro has been redesigned from the ground up to offer users a new sampling experience. The loop and transient editor WaveRobot has become the central part of the new modular graphical user interface. Sections can be pulled out of the dock and placed anywhere on the working screen(s). For the first time in the history of SampleRobot the new version 6 comes as a native macOS application in addition to the Windows 10 build. A lot of the improvements realized in SampleRobot 6 Pro are based on feedback from professional users and sound library developers.

New features of SampleRobot 6 Pro

Modular graphical user interface.

Integrated central WaveRobot loop and transient editor.

Native MacOS and Windows 10 support.

Large-scale Midi monitor.

Floating Peak Meter.

Context-sensitive Project hierarchy.

Sample list for easy browsing and searching.

Library and user bank export for Yamaha Montage.

Optimized activation process.

https://samplerobot.com/collections/samplerobot-product-lineup/products/samplerobot-pro

There's also a Montage Edition they partnered with Yamaha on:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks for bumping this tread. I went to dowload the free montage version yesterday and I was thinking - "Where have I seen this being discussed?".

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Sample Robot has always gotten good marks here, so I'd go for it if I was not on a Mac. You get a very trustworthy level of observable reality in KC user reviews. Not from all of the members personally, but in their reviews, yeah. :thu::laugh:

I made good use of Autosampler for Logic during a frenzied period a while back. It became a slight uphill trek after a while, but I sampled the heck out of 2 Korg workstations, an E-mu Planet Earth and a couple of my softsynths. You must be patient with the more detailed conversions; a 5-velocity-layer deep session across 5+ octaves takes... a while! You must also check for bad takes that require resampling, as some sounds "want" a modified approach. Its not always a one-take process. I also became a bit distracted by building Big Patches with 2-4 synths at once. It can become addicting as great sound design fun. Point being, I now have a major sampler library full of useful single favorites and arena-sized combis at a click. It was well worth the effort, so I encourage you to consider it. Plan ahead, because its not a single-Saturday-afternoon venture. Start with your meat-&-potatoes sounds and then work on the layered or special FX patches. I employed a more haphazard "plan" because I got caught up in playing with the process, so get your housekeeping right. Its been a major help to what I have that passes for a work flow.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Archived